Vulnerability: Body worth more?

Tywyll

This is something one of my players brought up. They thought was odd that vulnerability vs Body in FH was not worth more than Vulnerability vs Stun, since Body is more likely to kill you in a "Heroic" setting.

So, I started thinking. Should Vulnerability attacks against Body be worth more than the same vulnerability against Stun? Like a +5 Adder or something? Thoughts?

I mean, in a Superheroic game, its not as big a deal as often defenses more than account for the Body done, and it practically takes vulnerability to suffer body. But, in Heroic, where def is lower and vulnerability to body based attacks seems like a quick ticket to painful slaughter.

Re: Vulnerability: Body worth more?

That is certainly a valid concern worth discussing with your GM. It's his job afterall to set the campaign average attacks and defenses.

Another solution that might help take any guesswork out of the process of balancing the disads for a character that you might consider this approach for is to just forgoe taking a vulnerabilty (extra body) and instead take susceptibility (stun) in addition to vulnerability (extra stun) from the same effect/substance. It can be set to do body if the character is knocked out without being tied to any particular level of defenses.

HM

Well, I'm the GM, and I've been having that conversation with myself for a bit now to no result.... ;-)

The issue really comes up in that I'm running an almost Super-Heroic fantasy game, where High Fey are the standard character archetype, but Half-Gods, Half-Dragons, et al all rub shoulders. So vulnerability (like to Iron) is very common. Granted I decide how often Iron Knives show up, but when they do, is the fact that they'll knock you out worth as much as the fact that they will kill you very quickly? That doesn't seem right.

Well, I'm the GM, and I've been having that conversation with myself for a bit now to no result.... ;-)

The issue really comes up in that I'm running an almost Super-Heroic fantasy game, where High Fey are the standard character archetype, but Half-Gods, Half-Dragons, et al all rub shoulders. So vulnerability (like to Iron) is very common. Granted I decide how often Iron Knives show up, but when they do, is the fact that they'll knock you out worth as much as the fact that they will kill you very quickly? That doesn't seem right.

Well, there is another thread that discusses this in more detail but just remember that being at negative BODY does not mean automatic unconsciousness. That is totally controlled by the STUN stat.

HM

I didn't say it did. What I was referring to was that x2 Stun and x2 Body are both worth the same amount' date=' though only one will kill your character.[/quote']

I think the reason they are worth the same is due to the fact that a character who is knocked out is pretty easy to kill once the fight is over. Except, of course, he has some sort of persistant resistant defense (champions=Superman, Fantasy Hero=Magic Ring of Protection?!, etc...). So in a very real sense getting knocked out has the potential of being just as dangerous to ones life as direct 'in combat' body damage.

HM