A terminology question

Fenixcrest

I noticed that the Fantasy HERO standard of magical crafting, such as the creation of Scrolls, seems to be based on a KS.

However, since the character is actually making something, should it not be a PS instead?

It doesn't really matter, since both are background skills that cost the same, but it just seemed kinda weird to me.

Any thoughts?

Guest joen00b

Re: A terminology question

Very good question.

It could be either, which is the great thing about HERO, depending on how you look at it.

KS: Magical Scrolls.

This could mean the person knows how scrolls are created, what type of parchment, quills and inks are used, how they are sealed, what different types are created, etc. Basically, they know all about the creation of scrolls and can make them.

PS: Magical Scrolls.

All of the above, and he sells them for profit. You could also add that they can make them faster or has plenty of materials available to mass produce them.

PS: Magical Scrolls.

All of the above, and he sells them for profit. You could also add that they can make them faster or has plenty of materials available to mass produce them.

I wouldn't allow PS: Magical Scrolls, since it's not a profession. The character could take KS: Magic Scrolls, or PS: Magic Scroll Maker, PS: Magic Scroll Dealer, buyer, seller, etc.

Guest joen00b

Good call on both your parts there. Yes, Magic Scroll is not a profession; existentially, I suppose that could be argued in some roundabout way, but I do agree. As sbarron pointed out, there would need to be an adverb(?) attached to the end of Magic Scroll, as in dealer, scriber, maker, purveryor, etc.

Good call on both your parts there. Yes' date=' Magic Scroll is not a profession; existentially, I suppose that could be argued in some roundabout way, but I do agree. As sbarron pointed out, there would need to be an adverb(?) attached to the end of Magic Scroll, as in dealer, scriber, maker, purveryor, etc.[/quote']I'm not trying to be picky, Joen00b. ;) But from the example you gave, the guy who bought PS: Magical Scrolls gets all the same things the KS: gets, plus he does it professionally. I just wanted to show how the two things were different.

I think you see that. I'm just clarifying my point. :D

Guest joen00b

Yep, I totally agree with your assessment.

One of these days, I'm going to be able to peruse the HERO forums without the interrruption of needy people trying to distract my train of thought. My example was flawed and you cleared it up nicely:).

First off, thank you guys for your responses. I think you've sort of touched on what I'm wondering about.

A lot of this is going on what I've seen in HERO Designer v2's skill prefabs, and in Killer Shrike's High Fantasy notes: Crafting skills are expressed more or less exclusively as KS's, such as KS: Scroll Scribing, KS: Painting, KS: Carpentry, KS: Bookbinding, and the like, with very little overlap, except with things like PS: Carpenter. This goes against FRed, which states that a PS is the actual skill to do something, and that a KS is simply the knowledge of what makes something tick.

Perhaps in the case of crafting, a PS represents the overall ability for one to create something and market it, and a KS is the ability to access some specific facet of that PS. So, PS: Artist could have KS: Painting, KS: Sculpting, and KS: Engraving. Or, if one gets more specific, PS: Sculptor could have KS: Metalsmithing, KS: Woodworking, and KS: Pottery.

Going into the magical crafting sector of things, a PS: Mage might access KS: Scroll Scribing, KS: Wandcrafting, and KS: Enchantment.

What do you guys think?

First off, thank you guys for your responses. I think you've sort of touched on what I'm wondering about.

A lot of this is going on what I've seen in HERO Designer v2's skill prefabs, and in Killer Shrike's High Fantasy notes: Crafting skills are expressed more or less exclusively as KS's, such as KS: Scroll Scribing, KS: Painting, KS: Carpentry, KS: Bookbinding, and the like, with very little overlap, except with things like PS: Carpenter. This goes against FRed, which states that a PS is the actual skill to do something, and that a KS is simply the knowledge of what makes something tick.

Perhaps in the case of crafting, a PS represents the overall ability for one to create something and market it, and a KS is the ability to access some specific facet of that PS. So, PS: Artist could have KS: Painting, KS: Sculpting, and KS: Engraving. Or, if one gets more specific, PS: Sculptor could have KS: Metalsmithing, KS: Woodworking, and KS: Pottery.

Going into the magical crafting sector of things, a PS: Mage might access KS: Scroll Scribing, KS: Wandcrafting, and KS: Enchantment.

What do you guys think?

This is how we did it in our campaigns, and I've always thought it made the most sense.

-- Nuke

I might argue that the ability to make scrolls might be a combination of the Knowledge Skill Magic (or possibly Magic as a variant of the Power skill), and the Professional Skill Scribe.

Scribe would allow for the ability to write with brush or quill, and to write at a level of mastery that would be needed for a magic scroll, while the KS: Magic would allow the character to know enough about Magic to know what needed to be done.