Starships for the new guy

Harbinger

Hello everyone, I was hoping you could help out the new guy.

MY friends and I are trying to set up a Science Fiction game that draws pretty heavily from the TV show Andromeda. I was hoping a few of the hero gurus around here could help me construct a ship similar to the andromeda ascendant using the hero rules. (I am not overly concerned with point values yet, I am more interested in just how to do it)

another thing, one of my players is interested in potentially making the AI of the ship his character and this is what drew us to hero in the first place as it seemed to be the only sysytem really capable of this. Can anyone provide an example of how this might be done. (this is probably a bad idea, but an interesting problem so I would like to see a possible solution)

Re: Starships for the new guy

First season Andromeda has some of the most realistic high tech space combat for a TV series yet - it is done at NLS and at astronomical ranges, you don't see the enemy ships, just the sensor readout (they aren't in visual range) - sensors on ships are as good as, or better than what we have now and so can actually detect other ships at great range (with lightspeed delays of course). And I have to go with the Attack Vector people on this - ships are ALWAYS detectable without magic - how do you radiate heat in space? But that's by-the-by.

The key to the Andromeda Ascendant (and other ships based on the concept of realism and NLS combat) is speed. Build it like a normal scifi ship, but give in huge movement - and use the rules that make high speed things hard to hit.

Actually, now I think of it - that still isn't accurate. It is actually impossible to hit NLS (Near Light Speed) ships with beam weapons - not just "more difficult"... hmmm...

A workaround would be either- a link to "desolidification vs direct fire weapons" and the engine whenever it goes above 0.01C and the pilot decides not to travel in a straight line, or you give all direct fire weapons a range, and have most combats outside that range. There are still reasons for DF weapons - point defense against boarding, missiles and the odd circumstance of point blank space combat.

The trickier part will be designing the NLS missiles - which because of their mass-negation artificial gravity machines, and smaller mass, can attain higher percentages than any ship (and are therefor useful). I believe Andromeda's missiles reach 0.95C, but would have to look it up.

Build the missiles with tracking skills and high maneuverability.

Re: Starships for the new guy

Checkout the Spacer Online Toolkit under the Star Hero link on the home page. It contains several ships, vehicles, robots, and other cool SF sundries that you can use as examples of how to build your own...or just use them as is, and if you like'em I'd suggest that you buy the Spacers Toolkit book....