Help build power?

Doppler

In some anime fight scenes, you can see the background scenery flying up in the air slowly in large chunks. The bigger the fight, the larger the chunks. Some sort of psychic resonance or something I imagine.

The why is unimportant. How would you build it?

My first thought was a CE with a large amount of TK... but that gets prohibitively expensive. My second thought was to make it a Side Effect based upon the active points of the powers being used- the greater the active points utilized, the more psychic enery, the greater the damage to the environment (how the environment is damaged- chunks flying up in the air- is irrelevant for this build). Since it rarely if ever helps or hinders the combatants in these epic duels, it seems incorrect to me to either spend points on it or get a point break from it. Any idea?

Re: Help build power?

I agree that if it doesn't directly affect the combatants (or anyone near them) it's just SFX. If you want to actually stat it out on the character sheet the most rules-orthodox method would be as some type of Side Effect.

Michael "Susano" Surbrook has gone into some detail on building anime-style psionic effects in HERO in his Kazei Five worldbook (available as an ebook in the Online Store), and also in the online sourcebook for his campaign based on the anime Silent Mobius. You can see the latter on his website, on this webpage; just scroll down to "The Nature of Ylper Powers."

Another, arguably simpler approach is to make this a Disadvantage for the character. The great online Master Lists of Limitations lists this as a Physical Limitation, "Powers Damage Character's Surroundings."

Re: Help build power?

I agree that if it doesn't directly affect the combatants (or anyone near them) it's just SFX. If you want to actually stat it out on the character sheet the most rules-orthodox method would be as some type of Side Effect.

Another, arguably simpler approach is to make this a Disadvantage for the character. The great online Master Lists of Limitations lists this as a Physical Limitation, "Powers Damage Characters Surroundings." You can check that out here.

Thank you for this link!