The Patrol Laser

Foxiekins

I redid the Patrol Laser a bit... This uses the technology that eventually made the CALDERA obsolete...

Cost** Power END
73** Power Cell: (800 END, 100 REC) Reserve: (180 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1); REC: (100 Active Points); Recovers only when Connected to Power (-2)* 0
18** +9 with Multipower Attacks (45 Active Points); OAF: Patrol Laser Durable (-1), Linked (High; -1/2) [Notes: Levels Usable = Shots Fired - 1]*
33** Patrol Laser: Multipower, 82-point reserve, (82 Active Points); all slots OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)*
3u** 1) High: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Increased Maximum Range (410"; +0), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Autofire (10 shots; +1) (82 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)* 8
2u** 4) Medium: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Autofire (10 shots; +1) (45 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)* 4
1u** 5) Low: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Autofire (10 shots; +1) (11 Active Points); OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)* 1
1u** 6) Flashlight: Sight Group Images Increased Size (32" radius; +1 1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2), Autofire (2 shots; +1 1/4) (40 Active Points); Only to Create Light (-1), OAF Durable (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) [Notes: This is effectively 1 END per Turn]* 1
Powers Cost: 131

One thing I'm wondering about... What about the players who want to have spare power cells...? Ideas, anyone...?

Re: The Patrol Laser

I probably missed part of the original posting on this

does this still use chemical cartridges? or is does it use a powerpack of somekind? if it uses the cartridges does it also require a seperate power supply or does each cartridge generate enough power to fire it?

if its cartridge fed, a big backpack with an ammo feed belt

the image that comes to mind in that instance is something akin to a laser version of what Jesse Ventura carried in Predator

as far as charges, just buy a number of clips with the # of charges you want

This looks good. For extra power cells, well I'd say that the limitations there are:

practicallity (how heavy and expensive are power cells? they may not be able to carry extras, what with all their other gear)

genre (if it isn't in genre, just say no)

regulations (if regs call for 1 power cell/soldier, someone may ask questions about the 'extras').

BTW, I have to ask: why does the flashlight have autofire? :think: I'd probably actually make flashlight mode free; we're talking about a device that can crank out incredibly powerful laser blasts 100 times--a nice, bright LED flashlight could go forever without coming anywhere near the output of a single blast.

and even if extra power cells arent issued... that doesnt mean there arent ways of obtaining them,

on a sorted related topic, does anybody else use Scrounging as a skill?

or is it treated as a bureaucratics roll?

I treat it as a PRE based skill, with bureaucratics and streetwise both being possible complementary skills, depending on what your looking for and how hard it is to find it

ok guys, call me an idiot, I didnt read the entire post before replying... DOH a deer a female deer

how big is this power cell?

can you recharge it from a vehicle power plant or do you need something bigger like a building or ships powerplant?

Well, the power cell masses about 100 grams... It's a cylinder about 2 inches long and about 1 inch across, composed of artificial diamond crystal doped to act as a semiconductor in spots, with lithium ions crowded into its lattice structure before having the surface sealed to keep them in...

Power capacity equal to around 3,680,000 Joules... The Patrol Laser itself masses 650 grams or so, for a total of 750 grams when you put in the power cell... There's also an optional collimator bell, that I forgot to put into the writeup, that adds another 250 grams for a total mass of about a kilogram...

BTW' date=' I have to ask: why does the flashlight have autofire? :think: I'd probably actually make flashlight mode free; we're talking about a device that can crank out incredibly powerful laser blasts 100 times--a nice, bright LED flashlight could go forever without coming anywhere near the output of a single blast.[/quote']

Well, a full 1 second burn at High power uses 80 END... Remember, you pay the END cost of *every* shot you use... I'm using the 10 Shot autofire to represent a continuous beam laser... That's why you get the +9 to hit if you fire 10 shots, it represents you keeping the laser on a full second and slicing it across your target...

The power cell only holds about 10 seconds of burn at full power, 20 seconds of burn at medium power, or 80 seconds of burn at low power... You don't *have* to use a full second burn per attack, though, just however many you choose to...

I guess zero END for the flashlight would be a better option, with the limitation that the power cell can't be empty... The reason for the times 2 autofire on the flashlight is due to the drowning rules, which say that you can voluntarily lower your Speed to 2, and other rules that say that events out of combat generally take place at Speed 2 as well... Times 2 autofire means you can pay END per turn by doing this... But yeah, I think I'll change it to zero END... Thanks for mentioning it...

The power cell sucks up about 40 kilowatts while it is recharging... A power supply that can't put out that much will limit how fast the cell can recharge...