[Character] Variant GROND

Killer Shrike

Hey, I hope this isnt over the line, but I wasnt too happy w/ the write up on GROND in CKC. I prefer him as more of a HULK level monstrosity that takes the whole group to stop, and maybe then some.

So I took the liberty of altering him and here is the result:

Grond

Player:

Val Char Cost
100/175 STR 90
18 DEX 24
50 CON 80
30 BODY 40
5 INT -5
10 EGO 0
30 PRE 20
6 COM -2
42 PD 22
30 ED 20
4 SPD 12
30 REC 0
100 END 0
105 STUN 0
6" RUN012" SWIM030"/45" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 301

Cost Power END
22 Horns: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (22 Active Points) 2
35 Super-Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (40 PD/30 ED)
10 Super-Tough Skin: Lack Of Weakness (-10) for Normal Defense
4 Super-Strong Lungs: Life Support (Extended Breathing (1 END per 20 minutes))
10 Super-Strong Legs: Leaping +10" (30"/45" forward, 15"/22 1/2" upward) 1
10 Super-Strong Swimmer: Swimming +10" (12" total) 1
6 Four Arms: Extra Limbs , Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points)
20 Punching: Naked Modifier, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (20 Active Points) {Usable with up to 55 STR} 2
37 Strongest One there IS!: +50 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only When Enraged (Power loses about a third of its effectiveness; -1/2)
10 Grond-power: +25 STR (25 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (3x END; -1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) 6
50 +0 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (50 Active Points) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
Powers Cost: 214

Cost Skill
25 +5 with HTH Combat
10 +3 with HTH Combat (15 Active Points); Only When Enraged (Power loses about a third of its effectiveness; -1/2)
Skills Cost: 35

Total Character Cost: 550

Val Disadvantages
25 Distinctive Features: big, ugly, mutated green body Not Concealable, Extreme Reaction, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
35 Enraged: when realizes he's been tricked, or thinks he's been tricked Common, go 11-, recover 8-, Berserk
25 Enraged: when thwarted (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 8-, Berserk
20 Hunted: Champions 8- (Occasionally), As Powerful, Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find
20 Hunted: UNTIL 8- (Occasionally), As Powerful, Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find
5 Physical Limitation: Big and Heavy (-2 DCV, +2 PER Rolls against) Infrequently, Slightly Impairing
25 Psychological Limitation: Childishly Naive And Prone To Tantrums Very Common, Total
15 Psychological Limitation: Hatred Of Fire Common, Strong
20 Reputation: dangerous and destructive out of control monster Almost Always (14-), Extreme
5 Social Limitation: Public Id (Sidney Potter) Occasionally (8-), Minor
10 Unluck: +2d6
20 Vulnerability: 2x STUN Ego Attacks Common
20 Vulnerability: 2x STUN Fire Attacks Common

Disadvantage Points: 245

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 105

Total Experience Available: 130

Experience Unspent: 25

I've modified Grond myself to make him more Hulk-level, since that seems to be the role he fulfills in the Champions Universe. I do notice, though, that your "strongest one there is" Strength addition is an on-off arrangement; it kicks in at full force as soon as Grond goes Enraged. That isn't really the Hulk model, as his strength grows over time the madder he gets. It also wouldn't be as interesting a challenge for the PCs - if they're not able to take Grond down almost immediately before he blows his top, he'll probably feed them their shoes. So encounters with Grond are likely to be either very short or very messy, not much fun for the players either way.

The course that I chose was to use a Continuous Uncontrolled Aid, Triggered when Grond goes Enraged, with increased fade rate and the maximum bought up to the level I wanted his peak Characteristics to be. I bought it to apply simultaneously to Strength, Constitution (to make Grond harder to stun), Recovery and Stun (to bring him back quickly from expending Endurance and taking damage). This gave the PCs more time to beat Grond before he reached peak levels, all the time realizing that the clock was ticking. You can adjust the size of the Aid to reflect how long you want it to take for Grond to hit his max - that will affect the magnitude of the challenge that Grond will present.