Hot Shot Pilot, Is it worth it?

ONI

Re: Hot Shot Pilot, Is it worth it?

The talent Hot Shot Pilot (Star HERO) has an Active Point Total of 72. Does the overall effectiveness of this Talent warrant the 24 CP Cost? The PC in our group feels like he was overcharged for it.

I think it depends on two things:

1. Will the character be piloting a ship it affects often?

2. Will the +2 DCV make a significant difference?

If the answer to either of those is, "no", then it isn't worth it, and he should just buy up his Combat Piloting by two. If the answer to both is, "yes", it might be. It's always pretty pricey.

I also disagree with how it's built: I think the vehicle should have been counted as a character, so that Usable By Others doesn't need the hideous Mass multiple. But that's another story.

The talent Hot Shot Pilot (Star HERO) has an Active Point Total of 72. Does the overall effectiveness of this Talent warrant the 24 CP Cost? The PC in our group feels like he was overcharged for it.

Personally, I would wave my hands and allow Usable By Others to affect a vehicle as a target, rather then need to buy it to affect the total mass of the vehicle.

Then the cost would be about right IMHO.

Ok' date=' maybe not so much another story, after all ;)[/quote']

Nope :) it was the first thing I thought when I saw that talent.

However, counting the vehicle as a character would mean that a hotshot pilot could even maneuver the Death Star. Unless of course you handwave that...

However' date=' counting the vehicle as a character would mean that a hotshot pilot could even maneuver the Death Star. [/quote']

Ah, but the beauty of it is: how can you tell? If the Death Star has a DCV of -100, a +2 is just not going to matter. :)

Ah' date=' but the beauty of it is: how can you tell? If the Death Star has a DCV of -100, a +2 is just not going to matter. :)[/quote']

Unless he makes a Combat Piloting roll to reduce that -100 to a -0. Which would be pretty amusing.

But a +2 still doesn't make that big a difference.

Thanks to all for the feed back. The Usable by Others (+5 Advantage) seems to be the root of the problem. How about an Usable by Other Advantage based on the Size Class (Terran Empire) of the ship. The pilot could use the + 2 DCV on vehicles up to : Size 1 = +1/4, Size 2 = +1/2, Size 4 = +3/4, Size 8 = +1, etc.,. ? The advantage would not be so outrageous this way.