How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was on fire? - Curse help

badger3k

While waiting for a plumber to show up, I've been playing around with some more conversions. This is one, the "Curse of the Burning Hand" from AEGs Magic of Rokugan book. Basically the spell curses a target with a flaming aura. The target gains resistance to flames, and has a fiery aura that has two effects - it casts light and burns anything the target touches or touches the target. There were two ways I thought of doing this. One was by a transform, but I am not sure how to count this "power", as the effects can be beneficial but also harmful (esp since the individual cannot eat without burning the food - to ash most likely) - what counts as a disadvantage for purposes of adding body for the transform? The other would probably be a "mobile, UAA" construct.

I am not locked into either way, although the transform idea came first. The effect, as written (none of the caster's modifiers have been applied), is:

Curse of the Burning Hand Effects: (Total: 156 Active Cost, 39 Real Cost) Armor (10 PD/20 ED) (45 Active Points); NCC (-2), Only Works Against Fire/Flame Limited Type of Attack (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 11) plus Sight Group Images 1" radius, +/-4 to PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (44 Active Points); NCC (-2), Only To Create Light (-1), No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus RKA 1d6 (vs. ED), Personal Immunity (+1/4), AP (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (67 Active Points); NCC (-2), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 19)

Any ideas or opinions?

Re: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was on fire? - Curse help

Do you need personal immunity on a damage shield?

Maybe not, but I wanted to reflect the fact that the spell protects the items that the character holds (while the spell is cast), in addition to making it impossible for someone to grab his hands and try to burn him. I guess that is rather odd, since the armor pretty much prevents that. That's a good point.

After I posted this, I worked on a few more things, and wrote the description of the spell. It goes:

"Curse of the Burning Hands: This powerful curse binds a fire kami to the target creature’s soul, following him everywhere he goes. The target is surrounded by an aura of bright yellow flames that shed light and provide the target with some protection from heat. Furthermore, the flames give off heat and will burn things that touch the target, or things he touches. Unfortunately, the flames cannot be put out or controlled, so everything the target touches, including food and water, will suffer the effects of the fire. Only items that were on the target at the time of casting do not suffer from the flames. However, if they leave his possession, upon reentering the flame they will suffer the effects."

Re: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was on fire? - Curse help

I don't think you can put No Conscious Control and Always On on the same power. If it's always on, that implies he has no control over the power's use: it's simply always on. Unless it comes and goes at random times, in which case it's really just NCC.

(Although, I guess the GM can do as he pleases there.)

I don't think you can put No Conscious Control and Always On on the same power. If it's always on, that implies he has no control over the power's use: it's simply always on. Unless it comes and goes at random times, in which case it's really just NCC.

(Although, I guess the GM can do as he pleases there.)

You know, I hadn't looked at it that way - d'oh. You're right. I'll fix that, since the power is on and can't be turned off. Thanks.

Maybe I am being dense ' date=' but why have 10pd on the armor, fire is an energy attack isn't it?[/quote']

Normally, I use ED for fire, but sometimes I have used PD - basically some form of solidified flame which leaves physical damage rather than burning (or in addition to burning). I think I had one idea for a sword of solid flame that did both types of damage. I just wanted the spell to be powerful and cover all the bases.

I think you want Useable as Attack rather than Transform. Try Uncontrolled Useable As Attack: Grant the Following Power: (ED Armor + Images + Damage Shield).

I think you're right. It'll be expensive, but I just can't figure out how the transform would work (it would probably have to be high dice for the cost of the powers, probably making it even more expensive).

Ok, did a little playing around in HD, and came up with this. The cost is based on a 0.33 multiplier, which is why it is less. The normal cost is 53 Real.

Curse of the Burning Hand Effects: (Total: 287 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) Armor (0 PD/20 ED), Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), UAA (+1) (97 Active Points); OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Only Works Against Fire/Flame Limited Type of Attack (-1/2), Linked (Burning Touch; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Magic Skill; -1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

plus Sight Group Images 1" radius, +/-4 to PER Rolls, Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Always on; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), UAA (+1) (93 Active Points); Independent (-2), Only To Create Light (-1), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Linked (Burning Touch; -1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Magic Skill; -1/4), Cost END to activate (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5)

plus RKA 1d6 (vs. ED), Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4), AP (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Always On; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Continuous (+1), Usable As Attack (+1) (97 Active Points); NCC (-2), OAF (Divine Focus; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Magic Skill; -1/4), Costs END to activate (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6).

The total cost to cast is 29 END, and has a magic skill roll modifier of -15. It is usable as an attack at a range, and once cast lasts until dispelled (which it resists as x2), released by the caster, or the target dies. Given that the aura will cook (literally) anything that comes near the target, including water (don't try to drink alcohol!)

How's it look?

Normally' date=' I use ED for fire, but sometimes I have used PD - basically some form of solidified flame which leaves physical damage rather than burning (or in addition to burning). I think I had one idea for a sword of solid flame that did both types of damage. I just wanted the spell to be powerful and cover all the bases.[/quote']

ah ok that clears that up. Interesting curse!