Last Night's Star Hero Game...

Jkeown

... my player Bridgette's caninoid was determined by the Bad Guy (A 30' sessile column of self-aware crystal) to be of weak mind. It focused its Mind Control and Telepathy powers on her, to get her to lead the crew down into his chamber where he could mentally dominate everybody at once. Seems he needed to hitch a ride off the desolate hellhole of a world he was stuck on...

His mind control attempts were more than just my rolling, shouting numbers and telling PCs they wanted to go down into the planet, I brought up people from their pasts; friends, loved ones, business associates, old military buddies, and THEY talked to the characters as though they needed them to do different tasks that were all, in fact, leading to the same result.

After 2 attempts at other PCs, when it came to be her turn at this, she just sorta gave in.

"This is where the plot leads, may as well go along." she said.

What kinda playing is that?

I planned to do it as I did to give it that "Sci Fi movie" feel. The hallucinations where often questioned by other players, but a quick glance at my dice shut them up, they knew I had them, and they roleplayed along... but Bridgette just angered me...

Guest taxboy4

Re: Last Night's Star Hero Game...

... my player Bridgette's caninoid was determined by the Bad Guy (A 30 sessile column of self-aware crystal) to be of weak mind. It focused its Mind Control and Telepathy powers on her, to get her to lead the crew down into his chamber where he could mentally dominate everybody at once. Seems he needed to hitch a ride off the desolate hellhole of a world he was stuck on...

His mind control attempts were more than just my rolling, shouting numbers and telling PCs they wanted to go down into the planet, I brought up people from their pasts; friends, loved ones, business associates, old military buddies, and THEY talked to the characters as though they needed them to do different tasks that were all, in fact, leading to the same result.

After 2 attempts at other PCs, when it came to be her turn at this, she just sorta gave in.

"This is where the plot leads, may as well go along." she said.

What kinda playing is that?

I planned to do it as I did to give it that "Sci Fi movie" feel. The hallucinations where often questioned by other players, but a quick glance at my dice shut them up, they knew I had them, and they roleplayed along... but Bridgette just angered me...

well, mate, don't be soft, whinging to us - tell her...

Some people are simply like that. They take things at face value, even within the game. Chances are if thats part of her personality, it won't get much better. You deal with it and move on, or fail to invite her back for another game session.

But the best way to handle that is to give out more Xp for good roleplaying. Those who start falling behind in the XP department (after recieving only 1 or 2 pts per session vs those who recieve 3-4pts per session) will get the hint and start roleplaying better. However in order to put this idea in their heads, make sure you mention outloud that you are giving the other PC's Xp for good roleplaying and cite specific circumstances that happened in the game as examples to those who need the pointers.

And if somone roleplays their ass off, don't be afraid of giving them as much as 5Xp for a session (just don't do it too often). that'll really kick the other players into gear....

Some people are oversensitive about being "railroaded." They'll willfully disregard the GM's neon sign that says "Plot Starts Here." I've both played in and run games where a player will have a Big Clue dropped right in front of them, figure out some way for their PC to disregard it and then have the gall to complain about the game moving too slowly.

Moreover, many quite reasonable players hate to have their PC Mind Controlled.

As NSG said, you just have to identify the tendency and work around it. And in any event I'd say it's wise not to hinge the success of a sequence on everyone reacting favorably to the given motivation. In my experience there's always one player who'll go against the grain just because everyone else is going along.