A Suggestion to Fix a few Dangerous Advantages

zornwil

Re: A Suggestion to Fix a few Dangerous Advantages

...erm...

If autofire is a basic advantage, an autofire ranged killing attack will cost 16 points (3 raw points and 5.5 worth of advantage), so an area effect autofire ranged killing attack would cost 32 points under your system as opposed to 52 under the present system. Kewl. Blood everywhere...

Am I doing something wrong?

I didn't say make Autofire a Basic Advantage, "with the exact same value it has now." I didn't even give the Ranged Advantage the same value it normally has, but rather gave it the value that is needed to achieve the Base Cost of the current Powers.

Values would obviously need to be different for any Advantages used as both Basic Advantages and Modifying Advantages. That or perhaps Basic Advantages should all be multiplied together, rather than adding. That would actually make sense as far as modifying both Normal Attacks and Killing Attacks. So perhaps it should actually look like:

Base Cost     =    (Raw Points) * (product of Base Advantages)    [ per d6 ]
Active Points =     (Base Cost) * (1 + sum of Modifying Advantages)
Real Cost     = (Active Points) / (1 + sum of [Modifying] Limitations)

Then we could change the Raw Points for a d6 to be 3.5 (notice anything about that value? ;) ) and the Basic Advantage values to be:

• Strength Adds Damage (x3/2)
  • Ranged (x3/2)
  • Normal Attack: 1d6 -> 1 DC (x1)
  • Killing Attack: 1d6 -> 3 DCs (x3; though this comes out to 16 per d6 unless we round with each multiplication of an Advantage)

We could then cost Autofire according to the normal Advantage value (starting at +1/2 -> x3/2), the paranoid value (+3/2 -> x5/2), or use Zornwil's value (+2 per DC becomes x7/5 for 2-3 shots, x9/5 for 5 shots, x14/5 for...) since costs will compound very quickly when Modifying Advantages are added in, as Zorn shows rather clearly.

You would have to think differently about damage.

I was thinking about some kind of wound progression. It could almost look like the way mental powers work.

Roll 1d6 for each DC and Compare that Result of the attack to BODY + DEF.

(this is just off the top of my head)

Result = BODY + DEF = Light Wound

Result = BODY + DEF + 10 = Moderate Wound

Result = BODY + DEF + 20 = Serious Wound

Result = BODY + DEF + 30 = Deadly Wound

Result = BODY + DEF + 40 = Totally Destroyed

Or you could just make it work the way Healing does, and you have to roll a higher Effect on an attack than any previous attack has rolled in order to do Body.... Either approach makes things rather hit-and-miss, though. Not sure I like that.

I may just have it! Let us define two kinds of Advantage: a Basic Advantage and a Modifying Advantage. A Basic Advantage is one that can be used to build an Attack Power out of d6s (I won't say DCs quite yet), and determines the Base Cost of the Power given its Raw Points. A Modifying Advantage is one that may be applied with normal Advantages in order to determine Active Points given Base Cost. And finally Limitations (as we all know) determine Real Cost given Active Points. So we now have:

Base Cost =    (Raw Points) * (1 + Basic Advantages)         [ <- per d6 ]
Active Points =     (Base Cost) * (1 + Modifying Advantages)
   Real Cost = (Active Points) / (1 + [Modifying] Limitations)

To build an Attack Power (the existing ones), take the basic cost of 3 Raw Points for one d6 and apply some of the following Basic Advantages:

• Strength Adds Damage (+3/4)
  • Ranged (+3/4 as a Basic Advantage)
  • Normal Attack: 1d6 -> 1 DC (+0)
  • Killing Attack: 1d6 -> 3 DCs (+13/4 = +3.25)
  • ... (stuff for others, like Ego Attack?)

If we attempt to buy some existing Attack Powers given this framework, we can get:

• 1d6 HA = 1d6 [3 Raw]; NA (+0); Strength Applies (+3/4) [5 Base]
  • 1d6 EB = 1d6 [3 Raw]; NA (+0); Ranged (+3/4) [5 Base]
  • 1d6 HKA = 1d6 [3 Raw]; KA (+13/4); Strength Applies (+3/4) [15 Base]
  • 1d6 RKA = 1d6 [3 Raw]; KA (+13/4); Ranged (+3/4) [15 Base]

This is just a first attempt. There may be holes (HA works slightly differently, now doesn't it; grrrr...).

So, perhaps we can suggest that Autofire become purely a Basic Advantage that applies to Raw Points like this, and is used to define another whole dimension of Powers....

Yes, I think this might work. I like the idea of using this for "Killing Attack" which can then be applied to regular attacks and is consistent with how they're priced already now.