Medical technology in StarHero

Lysando

Hello all,

I'm currently playing a ship's doctor and I was wondering if anyone has given any thought to medical technology in StarHero beyond the little bit in the books. I don't have the Spacer's Toolkit (but I have looked through it), but I do have StarHero, Alien Wars and Terran Empire. These have very little other than a few gadgets and drugs. Ideally I'd like to find a description and writeup of the medical equipment in the sickbay of a merchant vessel or other small vessel as well as descriptions and writeups of other medical equipment. Also interesting would be a description of the medical technology available at each tech level. That would give some sort of idea what technology might be available.

All the other characters in the game seem to enjoy planning on what new gadgets, etc. they'll need for their part of the ship, I thought it would be fun to also have "upgrade paths" and other crunchy bits to dream about for the doctor and the sickbay,and to just in general flesh out the character and make him more interesting.

Thank you!

Trevor

Re: Medical technology in StarHero

Nothing specific but...

1) I would assume rapid limb/organ regeneration ... even today with cloning technology, DNA research, and Stem Cell research this is a close possibility.

2) Drug synthesis at the atomic level ... we are capable of molecular level synthesis today.

3) Stasis/Cryo capability...this is being researched today

4) Micro-surgical nanite bots.... this is also being experimented with today

I hope these ideas help!

Re: Medical technology in StarHero

Its pretty much a given that in highly futuristic societies, the cloning/regenerating of limbs/organs will be fully possible. That will be the mainstay of the medical profession: If its no good, replace it!

In my Star Hero campaigns that I've run, one of the characters played a doctor and his main skillset was based on keeping the characters alive on the battlefield, because if he kept them alive long enough to get them back to base, he could fix them. Provided the brain was still alive, it was all good.

Lets see: He had Paramedic (of course) to a rediculous degree, and PS: Doctor, PS Surgeon and SC: Medicine/Pharmacology. That stuff was good for the field as he could stabilize patients (Paramedic) then perform battlefield surgery on them as necesary (PS: Doctor and PS: Surgeon) and he could refine drugs from local flora and fauna if necessary (SC: Pharmacology with KS in Exo Flora and Fauna). He also had SC: Nanotechnology, and KS: Nanosurgery so that when he got patients back to base, he would stick them in the Nanosurgeon and fix them. A few hours later, all better.