Damage Reduction Question

Fox1

Re: Damage Reduction Question

I understand Life Support. But if you allow FF in a framework of any kind I don't understand how an equivalent amount of points of DR should somehow be judged differently. Say a character has 20/10r base defenses. I don't see the big difference between letting them buy a 15/15 FF vs. 1/4 Reduction on PD+ED. I certainly wouldn't OK a build that could do both at the same time but one or the other seems essentially equivalent to me. This is why I'm asking.

HM

Personally I have no problem allowing damage reduction in and EC if it fits the character concept. The "no endurance powers" rule is there for play balance and really deals more with lower-cost powers like life support or enhanced senses. I think each character needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis for something like this. I also think it's of the utmost importance to remember that EC's represent a single power with various effects rather than just a way to get a cost break.

Re: Damage Reduction Question

I think the thread may be turning into a "Are ECs a good thing or bad" thread.

In any case, thanks for the input guys. It helped me dump the idea.

not really. EC's are a good thing, but just like everything else in Hero, you have to watch how it's being used.

'I've got a concept of tightly related powers flowing from one special effect"= EC Goodness. Hopefully if DR works, the cost savings from EC make the Dr affordable.

"I've got the stinky limburger cheese, lets make it cheap, I'll think of an excuse later, and hey, why not some DR too!" =EC worries.

DR is just something I'm very cautious about. Some players always want to forget that moderate to low defenses part, and move to the standard or higher defenses plus DR approach. 25% sneaks up to 50% before you can blink.