MPD and the villian goes crazy

AndrewD2

Ok, so I'm in the planning and designing phase of a Champs game and I thought of a villian with Multiple Personalities.

The basic idea is he has MPD, he doesn't know he has it and whenever he changes, so do his powers. The change happens randomly, so one minute the team could be fighting a brick, the next he's shooting energy beams at them, and next he's a speedster.

And here is where I have problems. Being fairly new the HS I'm not very good at stating out characters, I've had so many ideas it's not funny, but whenever I work on statting them out, I get a little over-whelmed.

What I was wondering is if a) people could give suggestions of how I could do this and/or B) come up with some write-ups I could use for ideas.

My current idea is using multiform in the mix, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Andrew

Re: MPD and the villian goes crazy

Multiform sounds like the way to go. Each form is a different personality.

Start with the Base Character - consider him the mastermind. Set this guy aside, as he'll be weaker than all the other personalities, since he pays for the multiform.

Build all the other forms as individuals - don't worry too much about tying them all together. You could come up with 4 to 8 different forms - Brick, Martial Artist, Energy Projector, Metamorph... since they are all spawning from each other, I'd make sure all their powers are personal, not from a focus. I'd suggest tying to make them all 350 point characters - it'll be easier that way.

One disadvantage they should all share - accidental change into another (hopefully random) personality. Let the fun begin!

Once you have your spawnable personalities taken care of, you can focus in on the mastermind. First I'd cover the multiform power itself - the base cost is 1/5 of the most expensive personality, +5 points per 2x personalities.

For example, my metamorph is a total of 400 points (powers & disadvantes), and I have 6 other personalities. 400/5 = 80, and 8 total personalities is another 10 points for a total of 90 character points. If Mastermind is a 350 point character, he only has 260 left to spend.

Did that make any sense? Hope so. Also, I hope you have as much fun with Hero System as I do. Haven't been able to find a group in 5 years (Lincoln Nebraska is not a gaming Mecca), but this is my hobby, and I get a kick out of it after 25 (or so) years!

Yeah, multiform is perfect for this concept. It sounds like a fun character. It might be cool to have on personality be a good guy, just to confuse the PCs. I wouldn't have the switch happen "on camera" at first, so the PCs don't realize it's the same dude. Think how great the reveal will be when he transforms in front of the PCs after a few sessions in.

CDad, have you tried the Player Finder threads? Is Lincoln, Nebraska a Mecca of ANYTHING?

I've tried the Player Threads... 5 or six times. Almost had success once. Hope springs... yeah, right... who am I kidding?

Lincoln is the Mecca of Husker Football, has great people, four seasons, and quiet living.

Well I'm glad to see I've been on the right track. Now I guess what's confusing is do each of my "personalities" need multiform for change, or does just one need it and it's grandfathered to all the others?

Andrew

Just one needs it and it's grandfathered to all the others. Giving all of them the Accidental Change Disadvantage will keep them popping from one personality to another.

Let me try to explain my "gameplan" from a different perspective.

First, build 7 characters, each 350 total points, making sure to include the following Disadvantages:

10 Accidental Change: A unique "trigger", 11- (Uncommon)

15 Psychological Limitation: Multiform Amnesia (Common, Strong)

Now build your Primary or master character, making sure to include the same Disadvantages and the following power:

45 Multiform (350 Character Points in the most expensive form) (Instant Change, x8 Number of Forms); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Trigger (Not sure how this should be defined; +0)

Now they should bop between forms, for completely different reasons (one may change whenever you say the word "rosebud", while another changes if he sees a mailbox).

Very cool character concept, and let me first of all state my admiration for the complexity of the build you are undertaking here.

Now, we're talking "multiple personality disorder" as referenced from movies, television (/cough, lifetime channel, /cough), and novels right? If you are trying to accurately frame a dissociative identity disorder (as it is properly defined), it would be somewhat different than is commonly portrayed in mainstream media.

Just curious, I've been seeing a lot of psychological referents lately, and was assuming that you're going "comic book MPD" (as would be only appropriate). If you want info on more "real world" mental illness constructs I'd be happy to provide information relevant to the topic, otherwise - neat concept, would be a blast to fight such a nemesis.

Yes, it would pretty much be "comic book MPD" as you call it. Right now he's just a concept, so when I start pointing him out, who knows, things could change, I might not even like part of the idea.

I'm thinking about trying to make him the primary villian for my campain, if I can make that work. And, if it goes long enough, he's going to have a "radiation accident" where they all split apart from eachother, leaving 7 superpowered beings, and one heck of a broken man.