Advent Rising Campaign

badmudderfugger

Howdy all. About a month ago I posted here looking for help from the community on a campaign I was planning. After consideration, I've decided to go with the HERO system.

I'm going to post some of the things I've created for the campaign on this thread for feedback from the community. To avoid having to link back to the old thread, I'm posting the following as a summary of the campaign.

Advent Rising is a sweeping sci-fi epic about humanity's role in the larger universe and such.

For my campaign, the character starts off as just a normal dude in present-day Vancouver. Half the first session is going to be spent with him interacting with his family/friends, just to establish the major relationships in his life, at the time.

Then, out of the blue, he's struck by an incredibly bright star/meteor/something that falls from the sky.

He blacks out and has a dream of a ringed world, a jungle temple and the faces of strange aliens.

He wakes up to find himself in the remains of a hospital and seething with power that he can't control (powerful telekinetics and minor telepathy that seem to ebb and flow in their powerlevel). He struggles to control the abilities, but continues to devestate the city. Finally, he gets enough control and is taken into custody.

He is placed in an out of the way area, guarded by the Canadian military and interrogated over intercoms and computer connections. He finds out that he isn't the only one who gained these abilities.

On the opposite side of the globe (somewhere in Central Asia) another guy has gained similar abilities, only he's using his to devastate and conquer the region. The Canadians are being pressured by the US to surrender the PC to them for 'safe keeping.'

From that point on, the PC pretty much has free reign to do what he wants, but a few things will come up.

1) The US will eventually send in a cover ops team to capture him.

2) The other dude, who is MUCH more powerful than the PC, comes looking for him

This will go on for a bit, and then...the aliens arrive.

Turns out, the light that gave both guys their power came from a system very, very far away in space where the ruins of an ultra-advanced human empire lay. Humanity didn't originate on Earth. Millenia ago, humanity was the head of a phenomenally powerful interstellar empire and then suddenly one day, vanished along with all their technology.

In the time since, the various subject races that lived under the human empire have come into their own and developed their own civilizations. During their development, the memories of humanity faded and were perverted by myth and superstition.

One of the first of the new interstellar civilizations was the Seekers, who sought to find any trace of humanity in the galaxy. The Seekers believed that the humans were cruel tyrants who had dominated the other races, until their empire was stuck down by the gods and erased from the face of the galaxy. They set out across the galaxy, with the secret intent of ensuring the total annihilation of the human race.

The Seekers encountered other civilizations and incorporated them into their interstellar republic, all the while seeking for any trace of humanity. All they have found thus far has been broken and empty ruins of a once great empire.

During this period, a secret warrior cult that worshipped humankind as the divine warlords of the galaxy developed in the ranks of the military. Unlike the other Seekers, the did not seek to annihilate humankind, but to help them regain their control over their empire. The problem was, though, that no one knew where humanity was, and even if it still existed.

However, there was one race, the Aurelians, who called themselves the Shepards, that knew where humanity was.

When their civilization fell, the last remnants of humanity were placed on a suitable planet, deep in an uncharted and unknown region of the galaxy. They were stripped of their knowledge and left to develop anew on their own. However, the Shepards, an order of monastic warriors, were charged with watching over humanity and keeping it safe during its development. It was prophesized that one day, a time would come for humanity to take its place among the stars again.

Millenia passed and the Shepards watched humanity as its civilizations developed. Several hundred years ago, the Aurelians encountered the Seekers, and joined the interstellar empire they were building. The Aurelians were initially cautious of the expansionist Seekers, and quickly discovered that their caution was warranted. They deduced that the Seekers sought not to discover humankind, but to exterminate any possible threats to their own empire. The Aurelians kept what they knew to themselves and the Seekers, in turn, simply thought of the Aurelians as religious zealots.

And so it remained, the Seekers looking for humanity, while the Aurelians kept the Seekers from Earth and kept Earth from learning about Interstellar society.

This all changed a few days ago.

On a planet, deep in the Seeker empire, the ruins of a human temple suddenly sprang to life and sent out an enormous pulse of energy. This pulse raced past the planets and systems of the empire and out into a seemingly barren area of space, landing on the third planet in an unremarkable system.

Fleets of the Seekers tracked the pulse and have sent an armada to investigate what has happened.

The Shepards realize that this is the event foretold of in the prophecy and are scrambling to track down the individuals affected by this pulse. They know that two will be affected by it and granted phenomenal powers, along with the ability to reawaken humanity's empire.

They know that these two beings will represent both the worst and best of humanity. One will be a tyrant, the other a savior. One will be a conqueror and the other a redeemer. Whichever reaches the old capital of humanity's empire first, will be heir to its glories and determine the nature of the new empire.

The PC will be contacted by the Shepards, just before the Seekers reach Earth and begin a quest to annihilate it.

In addition, the warrior cult in the military will attempt to assist the other guy in reaching the prize.

The campaign will then follow the path of the PC as he attempts to find out where the world is, with the help of the Shepards, all the while trying to stay ahead of the Seekers and beat out his nemesis and the cultists who follow him.

Re: Advent Rising Campaign

Ok, so here's the first set of stats.

It's the writeup for a generic Special Forces/SWAT type guy. I don't have access to Dark Champions, where I hear there is writeups for this sort of thing, but I'm not keen on picking it up just for a bit of the campaign.

Special Forces/SWAT Guy

Str 12

Dex 14

Con 13

Bod 10

Int 13

Ego 11

Pre 13

Com 10

PD 5

ED 4

Spd 3

Rec 6

End 26

Stun 25

Phases: 4, 8, 12

OCV 5

DCV 5

Run 7â€

Skills:

PS: Covert Ops 12-

KS: Hobby 11-

Fam: Breakfall 8-

Fam: Criminology 8-

Range Skill Level: Rifles 1

Climbing 14-

Tactics 12-

Stealth 14-

Demolitions 12-

Skill Level: +1 with Dex Skills

Fam: Small Arms

Gear:

Kevlar Vest: Def 6

Helmet Def 9

M16A2 OCV+2, R.Mod +1, Dam: 2d6-1K, 30 shots

Knife: OCV +1, 1d6-1

Before I go any further, I guess I should post stats for the PC. :)

Advent Rising PC - Champions

Points: Base: 59 – 274 Att: 53 – 132 Skill: 46 – 70 Powers: 0 – 167 Dis: 40 – 95

(The stats on the left are pre-Advent Gift, the stats on the right are post-Advent Gift)

Str 10 – 15

Dex 15 – 21

Con 10 – 15

Body 10 – 15

Int 18 – 18

Ego 18 – 18

Pre 16 – 16

Com 16 – 16

PD 2 – 5

ED 2 – 5

Spd 3 – 4

Rec 4 – 6

End 20 – 30

Stun 20 – 50

OCV 3 – 7

DCV 3 – 7

Move: 6†– 10â€

Swim 2â€

Skills:

Computer Programming 16-

Conversation 13-

Electronics 14-

Science (Math) 14-

Streetwise 13-

Knowledge/ Game Industry 15-

Language: French

Acting 8-

Climbing 8-

Concealment 8-

Deduction 8-

Paramedics 8-

Persuasion 8-

PS: Programming 11-

Shadowing 8-

Stealth 8-

TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

AK: Vancouver 8-

Talents:

Cramming

-

Two Weapon Fighting

Danger Sense (Functions as Sense, Dangers out of Combat, Intuitional) 13-

Powers:

Multipower: Advent Gifts- 90 points

8- Energy Blast 6d6 (Cone, Double Knockback) 8 END

7- Energy Blast 6d6 (Radius, Double Knockback, No Range, Hole in the Middle) 8 END

4- Force Field 31/11 4 END

6- Force Wall 16/8 6 END

2- Gliding 20â€

1- Running +10†(Increased END x6) 14 END

1- Superleap 10†(Increased END x4) 8 END

1- Telepathy 6d6 (No Conscious Control) 1 END

Mental Defence 15

Force Field 9/9 (0 END, Persistent)

Disadvantages:

DNPC: Girlfriend 11-

Psych Limit: Good Guy (Common, Strong)

Rivalry: Boss at EA (Professional)

-

Hunted: Seekers (MoPo, NCI, 14-)

Social Limit: Public ID 11-

DF: Human (Easily Concealed, Major)

Here is the gear that the PC will have access to once he meets the Aurelians (Shepherds).

Gauss Pistol (2 of them): RKA 1 1/2d6, Armour Piercing, Autofire 3, Charges 30

Plasma Battle Rifle: EB 12d6 Explosion, Autofire 5, 100 Charges, Limit 40" Range

Armour Vest: Armour 12/12, 9- Activation (11-13 hit location)

Here's my write up for the Aurelians (Shepherds)

Aurelians: 24 points

+2 Str

+1 PD

Scaly Skin: DR: 2 PD/2 ED

Running +1â€

Swimming +1â€

+2 Ego

+1 Con

+1 Bod

Claws HKA ½d6 (plus Str) (Reduced Pen)

Aurelian Culture: 20 points

+3 Int

+3 Ego

+3 Pre

KS- Human History

SS- Stellar Cartography

KS- 2 more

This is the Aurelian Battlesuit that their Mystic Commandos will wear:

Aurelian Powered Battlesuit- 103 points

Protective Armor: Armor 20/20 (OIF, Real Armor)

Life Support: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing, Safe Enviro: High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum) (OIF)

Boost-Jest: Leaping +10†(OIF)

Visual Sensors: Infrared Perception (Sight), UV Perception (Sight), Radar (Radar: Radio Group) (OIF)

Comm System: HRRP (Radio Group) (OIF, Affected as Sight and Hearing Group as well as Radio)

Onboard Computer: Absolute Range Sense, Absolute Time Sense, Bump of Direction, Lightning Calculator (OIF)

Vibroclaws: HKA 1 ½d6 (Armor Piercing, OIF, No Str Bonus) +1 OCV (OIF)

Aurelian Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle RKA 2d6 (Armor Piercing, Autofire 5, 120 Charges, OAF, Real Weapon)

Here are the stats for the Aurelian Mystic Commando:

Aurelian Mystic Commando-124 points

Str 15

Dex 14

Con 14

Bod 11

Int 16

Ego 16

Pre 16

Com 10

PD 6

ED 4

Spd 3

Rec 6

End 26

Stun 26

OCV 5

DCV 5

Run 8â€

Swim 3â€

Powers:

Scaly Skin DR 2/2

Claws: HKA ½d6, (Reduced Pen) (1d6+1 w/Str)

Skills:

KS-4 of them

PS-Soldier 11-

Tactics 12-

TF: Shuttlecraft

Weaponsmith 12-

Weapon Fam (7)

Stealth 13-

Security Systems 12-

Combat Piloting 13-

Survival 12-

Systems Op 12-

KS: Hobby 11-

PS: Mystic Commando 12-

Climbing 14-

Interrogation 8-

Breakfall 9-

2 Combat Levels with Aurelian Powered Battlesuit

Shadowing 12-

Skill Level (Dex Skills) 1

Gear:

Aurelian Powered Battlesuit

Aurealian Gauss Rifle

Here are the villains of the campaign:

Seekers: 71 points

Large Template: (Gives +15 Str, +3 Bod, -3†Knockback, +5 Pre, Run +6â€, +3 ED, Stretching 1â€, Phys Limit: Large)

Fast: Running +3â€

Leaper: Leaping +4â€

Tough: +3 ED

Subdermal Armor: DR: 6/6

2 Extra Arms/Legs: Extra Limbs (Inherent)

Seeker Culture: 5 points

+3 Str

+1 Dex

+2 Con

+2 Bod

WFs (6 points worth)

Psych Limit (Obedient)

Seeker Arm Cannon/Fist:

Multipower: 60 Active Points (30 Charges)

1)Normal Shot: 9d6 EB (OAF, Limit Range 50â€, Real Weapon)

2)Autofire: 7d6 EB (Autofire 3, OAF, Limit Range 50â€, Real Weapon)

3)Explosive: 8d6 EB (Explosion, OAF, Limit Range 50â€, Real Weapon, Uses 2 Charges)

4)Energy Fist: HA+2d6 (OAF, Real Weapon)

Here's the writeup for the average Seeker Soldier.

Seeker Soldier

Str 31

Dex 12

Con 15

Body 15

Int 10

Ego 10

Pre 15

Com 10

PD 6

ED 6

Spd 3

Rec 9

End 30

Stun 39

OCV 4

DCV 4

Run 15â€

Leap 10â€

Powers:

Reach: 1†Stretching

Leaping: +4†(10†total)

Subdermal Armor: DR 6/6

-3†Knockback

Skills:

PS: Soldier 12-

Tactics 12-

Weaponsmith 12-

WF: (12)

Combat Driving 11-

Combat Piloting 11-

Stealth 11-

Survival 12-

Demolition 12-

Skill Level: Int Skills 1

Limitations:

Psych Limit (Obedient)

Phys Limit (Large)

So that's what I've got done so far.

I didn't include all the point costs with the write-ups because I'm not really looking to see if my math is correct, I'm more looking to get some feedback from those with HERO system experience on how well the PC will handle himself with these challenges.

I've rolled through a few fights with the PC and the SWAT guys, and they played out the way I wanted, but I have yet to do it with his gear (guns and armor).

Next up, I'm going to write up some of the vehicles of the Aurelians and Seekers using my new Ultimate Vehicle (well, as soon as I finish the essay I'm working on. :))

I especially like the art for battlesuit

Cheers! I saw ads for the game about a year ago and was blown away by the visuals. To answer your question, no it's not my art. I snatched it from the advent rising website.

To answer your question:

1. I see the boost jets being usable at will. I didn't buy the battlesuit any End Reserve, because I see the strain on the battlesuit's power being minimal when the jumps are used, but it would be taxing on the wearer. Therefore, whoever wears the suit would pay the extra End that the extra Leaping uses.

2. I see them as being designed for use in small groups, but they could very well be used on solo ops as well. In the campaign, it will be a small group (maybe 6) of Mystic Commandos (mental note: gotta come up with a better name than that) wearing the battlesuits that breaks the PC out of the US military base during the initial Seeker attack.

I see these suits as being part of the 'badge of office' as it were, of the religious order.

One thing I was thinking of adding would be a sort of cloaking device (similar to the optic-camo used in Ghost in the Shell). I'd buy it like Invisibility with a Fringe, that drops as soon as the wearer draws the Gauss Rifle. Do you think that would make them too powerful, or would it suit the design?

is this cloaking something on the order of predator which seems more like an optical chameleon, or more like a cloaking device of some kind

I would probably go for more of an optical chameleon, or a holographic image geneator. sight only would work fine I think, much more than that might be pushing things depending on the power level your going for.

OK, last thing I'm posting before bed. :)

This is my preliminary build for the Aurelian Scout Ship.

I apologize for skimping out on the write-up in the Personal and Operations sections, but they were identical to systems in UV and so I couldn't bring myself to write them up again.

I really like the idea of ablative shields (give it that sort of panicked Star Trek feel that I want from space combat). Also, I gave the cloaking device an extra time limit so that if they want to use it, they'll have to spend a round fending off their attackers. That said, in the hands of a good pilot, this thing should be able to pull off some pretty impressive stunts (high Dex and high Spd).

One thing I'd like to get feedback on is whether the powerplant is too big for its needs. I didn't sit down and calcuate how much power the ship would use from round to round, but it seems that this may be too much. On the other hand, I took the powerplant from a ship with Spd 3, so it may very well be too weak to handle the needs of this particular ship.

Finally, I gave it a really high FTL rating for two reasons. First off, I wanted the PC to have a ship that can really get around the galaxy fast. Earth is supposed to be in the backwaters of the galaxy, so getting to where the action is would take a long time if they had a slower ship.

Second, seeing as how the Aurelians were tasked by the humans to watch over their development, it stands to reason that the humans would leave them with some pretty impressive tech. As such, the Aurelian ships will be the fastest in the galaxy (using FTL that is). That means that they will always be able to outrun the Seeker ships, as long as they can get to FTL (which takes a minute to do). Should lead to some pretty tense moments in the game. :)

Lastly, I gotta say just how great Ultimate Vehicle and Space Hero are. Both books helped me to organize my thoughts when creating this ship, both in terms of power level and in terms of story value. With regard to power level, Ultimate Vehicle helped me puzzle out exactly what I wanted the ship to do, offensively and defensively and helped me pick out the right advantages and limitations for it. I also love the section with 'cut and paste' systems in it (which is where I got the Force Shields, Cloaking Device and Blasters from).

As for the story value, I had no clue how to calculate the ship's FTL, but the discussion in Space Hero about how FTL impacts on your game and the type of game you want to run was unbelievably enlightening.

I have to admit that about a week ago I was pretty burned out on the HERO system, after putting together the stats for the Aurelians and Seekers, but after seeing the results on this ship, I'm back on board baby!

Aurelian Scout Ship: 525 points

Char: 112 Abil: 413

Size 9 (45) 8â€x4†-6 DCV -9†KB

Str 55 Lift 50 tons; 11d6 HTH

Dex 21 (33) OCV: 7 DCV: 7

Body 19

Def 6 (12)

Spd 5 (22) Phases 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

Movement: Ground: 0â€

Flight: 40â€/320â€

FTL: 8 LY/hour

Abilities and Equipment:

Power System: Fusion Power Plant- End Reserve 160 END 160 REC, (OIF Immobile -1½, Only Electronic Devices –¼)- (64)

Aux Power: End Reserve 40 END 40 REC, (OIF Immobile -1½, Only Electronic Devices –¼) (16)

Warpflight:

Multipower- 90 point reserve (all Cost End –½ ) (60)

1) Standard Flight: Flight 40†x8 Noncombat (Costs End –½) 9 END (6u)

2) Supersonic Flight: Flight 10†(Megascale- 1â€=1km +¼, Costs End –½) 2 END (2u)

3) Warpflight: FTL (64000 LY/year or 8 LY/hour) (Costs End –½, Extra Time- 1 Minute to Engage –¾, Requires Stellar Cartography Roll to Operate –¼) 4 END (2u)

Spaceflight only: Ground Move -6†(-12)

Spaceflight only: Swim -2†(-2)

Tactical Systems:

Force Shields: Force Field 30/30 (OIF Bulky -1, Ablative -1)

Blasters: RKA 2d6 (Autofire 5 +½, Increased Max Range: 14 miles +½, No Range Mod +½, Real Weapon –¼, OIF Bulky -1, Limited Arc of Fire: Forward 60 degree –½) 7 END (27)

Personal Systems:

Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing; Safe Environments: High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum); (Costs End –½) 2 END (12)

Backup Life Support (6)

3 More Backups (10)

Food Supply: Life Support (Diminished Eating: no need to eat); 1 Continuing Fuel Charge (easily replaced; 1 year -0) (3)

Artificial Gravity: TK (20 Str), (Selective +½, OIF Bulky -1, Only to Pull Objects Straight Down to the Floor -1) 3 END (15)

Operations Systems:

Sensor and Communications System: See pg. 93 Ultimate Vehicle (46)

Long Range Sensors: See pg 93 Ultimate Vehicle (70)

Long Range Sensors: See pg 93 Ultimate Vehicle (7)

Navigation Computer: See pg 93 Ultimate Vehicle (3)

Internal Monitors: See pg 93 Ultimate Vehicle (17)

Cloaking Device: Invisible to Sight and Radio with no Fringe (IIF Bulky –¾, Extra Time: One Turn -1¼, Only When Not Attacking –½) 4 END (11)

is this cloaking something on the order of predator which seems more like an optical chameleon, or more like a cloaking device of some kind

I was thinking of it being something closer to the predator type optic camoflague, but now I'm thinking maybe just a chameleon-type system built into the armour.

Do you think it would be built as Invisibility with a Fringe or Change Environment (similar to what is done for some of the stealth systems in UV, pg 145)?

Ok, after much effort (and procrastinating over an essay I should be writing), here is the main nemesis of the Advent Rising campaign.

This dude is pretty powerful, but with his Vulnerability to the PC's abilities, and the fact that he loses 18 END to him every time he's in his presence should make for balanced combats, so long as the PC can evade him early on.

Also, I intentionally kept his OCV and DCV relatively low, because he really is just a normal human who suddenly found himself with some pretty phenomenal abilities. In addition, that gives the PC a better chance of keeping out of his way.

That said, with his Variable Advantage EB, the Nemesis can just as easily send a EB with Line or Explosion or Cone his way to tag him.

Advent Rising Nemesis

Str 10

Dex 13

Con 20

Body 20

Int 14

Ego 15

Pre 25

Com 10

PD 6

ED 6

Spd 3

Rec 50

End 120

Stun 80

OCV 4

DCV 4

Move: 6â€

Swim 2â€

Skills:

Concealment 12-

Demolitions 12-

Interrogation 14-

Mechanics 12-

Navigation 12-

PS: Guerilla 11-

Stealth 12-

Survival 12-

Weapon Fam: Small Arms

Acting 8-

Climbing 8-

Concealment 8-

Deduction 8-

Paramedics 8-

Persuasion 8-

PS: Rebel 11-

Shadowing 8-

TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

AK: Central Asian Mountains 8-

Talents:

Danger Sense (Functions as Sense, Dangers out of Combat, +3 to Roll) 15-

Universal Translator 17-

Powers:

Inhuman Body: Life Support (No Sleep, No Food, Safe Environment: Low/High Pressure, Vacuum, High Radiation, Intense Cold/Heat)

Iron Will: Mental Defence 10

Spatial Awareness

Supersonic Flight: Flight 15†(Megascale 1â€= 1km + ¼, Increased END x6 -2½) 18 END

Multipower: Advent Gifts- 100 points, (Hardened +¼)

8- Force Field 40/40 8 END

8- Force Wall 15/15 5†total 8 END

8- Force Wall 30/0 5†total 8 END

8- Force Wall 0/30 5†total 8 END

Elemental Control: Advent Gifts- 42 points

-Telekinesis: 60 Str, Affects Porous 9 END

-Flight 40†x8 Non 8 END

- Energy Blast 6d6 (Variable Advantage +1, +2; Double Knockback +¾) 13 END

Disadvantages:

Hunted: Seekers (MoPo, NCI, 14-)

Social Limit: Public ID 11-

DF: Human (Easily Concealed, Major)

DF: Advent Gifted- Glowing Eyes and Aura of Power (Concealable, Always)

Hunted: Governments of Earth (MoPo, NCI, Limited Geography: Earth, Public ID, 14-)

Psych Limit: Overconfident (Very Common, Mod)

Psych Limit: Sociopath (Very Common, Total)

Rival: Advent Rising PC (Prof, PC, Less Po)

Vulnerability: Advent Gifts (Uncommon, x2 Stun)

Vulnerability: Advent Gifts (Uncommon, x2 Body)

Susceptibility: Advent Rising PC’s Presence (Common, Every Phase, 3d6 Drain END, Standard Effect: 18 END/Phase)

Ok, one thing that's become glaringly obvious after rolling through some combats (first against 3 Apache Helicopters, then an Abrams tank & some Bradleys) that I need to bump up the TK to 60 Str and to boost the Stun to 80 to have him last in a fight as long as I want him to. I wasn't sure how fast he'd go down to the PC and after rolling through a combat where the PC pushed his Energy Blast to 8d6, he was stunned after one shot (which dropped his force field) and down after the second.

I'm also thinking I might boost the PC's Stun by a bit so he can be around in combats longer. As it stands, he's stunned pretty easily and drops pretty quickly. Maybe boosting his Stun to 50 would make him stick around a little longer (especially given his meagre Rec of 6).

Any thoughts?