Pulp Here and NOW

AnotherSkip

well, fellow fans of Herodom

i have a few questions about placing pulp characters in the here and now.

Are there any special advantages or disadvantages you would suggest for those who are playing pulp characters who for whatever reason are in this modern era?

Currently I am running a character by the name of Doc. Random in a WW Mage campaign (the only game in town) But I think he could easily be converted over to Hero with a snap.

So are there some suggestions out there other than the writeups that abound?

Re: Pulp Here and NOW

Offhand, modern adventurers would have more modern equipment and are more flexible with respect to learning skills. One example would be Asian martial arts. It would be extremely rare for an adventurer in the 1930s to know one of those styles, but a modern-day adventurer can find a dojo/dojang/kwoon fairly easily.

On the other hand, laws and practices have changed with the times. Indiana Jones may have been able to take treasures from exotic lands back to the USA with impunity, but today it would be considered grave robbing or smuggling or both. Also, with spy satellites, computer databases and the internet, it's not as easy to conceal your identity (or create a new one) for long.

Since he is a convert from ww

His stats look really really weird

8s in Str, (ww stat x 4= result)

20s in Con and Body,

(very healthy Long distance runner)

12 Dex

his equipment and powers are weird too...

invisibility/super stealth

follower

Magic powers

(Mage the Ascenscion)

what can I say Its fun

his quote is after taking something froma Vampire

"Im an archeologist, what part of that doesn't say 'I take things from dead people?"

I think that modern technology would make it difficult to set aPulp adventure in the present day. We have satellites that can deliver pictures of almost anywhere on demand, GPS,and other forms of almost instant communications. Michael Chricton's "Congo" is akin to "modern day pulp" but even there he had to disable some of the technology to make it work properly !

While yes, the epuipment and mysteries include trappings not seen in the Pulp Era, the feel of the pulp detective can easily exist in a modern game. Look at Slam Bradley's current incarnation in DCs Catwoman.

It is the code of the Private Eye, the incessant drinking, and violence first that delineate the Pulp Detective (to me) and that easily translates, though some folks would consider the character old fashioned.

The main difference between pulp and noir (to my understanding) is the mood. Pulp is optimistic and looks at the world with a sense of wonder. Heroes and villains are larger than life. Heroes are incorruptible, and villains are irredeemable.

Noir is pessimistic and looks at the world with a sense of despair and resignation. Heroes are bitter and flawed. Villains may or may not be total monsters; more often than not, they're looking for a big pay-off to get out of the rut they're in.

The main difference between pulp and noir (to my understanding) is the mood. Pulp is optimistic and looks at the world with a sense of wonder. Heroes and villains are larger than life. Heroes are incorruptible, and villains are irredeemable.

Noir is pessimistic and looks at the world with a sense of despair and resignation. Heroes are bitter and flawed. Villains may or may not be total monsters; more often than not, they're looking for a big pay-off to get out of the rut they're in.

Interesting, though I'm not sure I'm completely sold. Mood may be the best designator, but I'm thinking Steve uses something else. Obviously, any genre or sub-genre can be pulpy or noir.

I guess what I'm disagreeing with is your definition of Pulp as a mood. But, pontificating... I think that may be my own skewed vision of what I call 'Pulp'.

I think I need to ponder further...

Well sometimes we all need to step out of the box before the cat is dead...

and to Savinien, If you can get your hands on a copy try checking out some of the Mage the Ascencion stuff (not reccomending the buy option unless you like White Wolf) especially the supplimental book for the Sons of Ether, there is a definate look at the differences between High tech vs Pulp tech and really the ultimate boiling point is a sense of wonder. Less, "clones marching to take over the world" and more "Explore, see and learn"

Also, pulp stories often make the heroes travel to exotic locations. Noir stories usually keep the heroes in the city, or draw them back inevitably if they do leave.

Heroes also go for the "good girl" in pulp stories, while noir heroes go for the "bad girl." Pulp heroes (almost?) always end up the clear victor in the end; noir heroes often end up dead or dying (Out of the Past, Double Indemnity), although they sometimes do survive (The Lady from Shanghai, Key Largo).