Question on a build

JmOz

Okay a character of mine is a master archer (Huzah)

I am working on his bow

The arrowheads can be thrown instead of shot

Currently I am doing this, all slots are OIF

Most slots are VarLim (Requires -1/2)

the VarLim list is this

OAF (-1/2): The cost is reduced based on the OIF

Range Based on Str, Gesture (throwing movement) or restrainable (Debatable which is more appropriate)

No Range (If he is bound he could target the next square with a weak throw depending on where he is bound)

Re: Question on a build

I had a character IMC who had arrowheads which could not be thrown, but could be dropped within a hex (all slots No Range). The arrowheads could be attached to a standard arrowhead shaft.

He then bought off No Range through an OAF with (IIRC) 32 charges, being the bow and 32 arrows. He had about 84 arrowheads of various types (no more than 8 of any one type).

I wouldn't ever allow someone to buy "gestures" for a "throwing motion" when they are throwing something. That's way too munchkiny IMO.

Here's how a buddy of mine built Hawkeye who can also throw his arrowheads for limited range.

all slots OIF(because there are LOTS of arrowheads to take away to remove a slot from the MP)(-1/2)

Range Dependent on Bow(OAF), power loses abou a third of its effectiveness(-1/2)

I like the build a lot and use it in my campaign.

Sounds Decent Mike W,

most of the time though I just SFX it maybe a -3/4 instead of -1 for OAF.

most of the time though you are really covering for a relatively limited set of circumstances...

That has occurred to us, but we generally make OAF's that are difficult to take away completely a -1/2. Because while taking any one charge is easy, taking the whole MP or MP slot just can't be done in combat. Kind of like Bullseye's "objects of opportunity" killing attack. You can't really take it away unless you move the fight to an empty room - and if you don't have any foci he can steal to power it.

I had a character IMC who had arrowheads which could not be thrown, but could be dropped within a hex (all slots No Range). The arrowheads could be attached to a standard arrowhead shaft.

He then bought off No Range through an OAF with (IIRC) 32 charges, being the bow and 32 arrows. He had about 84 arrowheads of various types (no more than 8 of any one type).

I have a SEVERE BIAS against limited buy off, it is a personal thing but I hate it, it just does not feel right to me...

I have a SEVERE BIAS against limited buy off' date=' it is a personal thing but I hate it, it just does not feel right to me...[/quote']

When I do, "buy-offs," I really do them by applying an equal-and-opposite Advantage (whether or not such a thing exists literally--though in this case Ranged balances No Range quite easily), then apply Limitations to only the Advantage portion of the Active Points. For example, an RKA which is Ranged only if you use an OAF might be bought as:

RKA: 2d6;

[base: 30, Active: 30]

No Range (-1/2);

[Real: 20]

+ Ranged (+1/2);

[Active: 15]

OAF: Bow (-1);

[Real: 7]

Total Active: 45, Total Real: 27

To be sure, it is a little strange to have a higher Active Point total for such a construct, but it makes the, "buy-off," a little more comfortable (and usually a little more expensive as well) IMO.

EDIT: Note that the Ranged Advantage I used in the example above is not a Naked Advantage. It still applies as it would normally to the one Power alone.