Invisibility and Haymaker

Duke

Re: Invisibility and Haymaker

If a character is invisible and they want to do a haymaker on someone' date=' when do they become visible? After their attack roll or when on the next segment when the attack goes off?[/quote']

The question is one & the same: the attack roll will not be made until the attack goes off. The answer is: neither. Unless the person who has invisibility has some sort of disadvantage where the invisible person becomes visible after an attack is made on someone, they will still be invisible. However, the attacked person, whom I assumed did not detect the invisible person approaching, now gets a chance to perceive the invisible person since the invisible person made their presence undeniably known.

Assuming for whatever reason the invisible person becomes visible, they would become visible after the attack is made, whereby the attack roll is made to see if the attack succeeds.

I understand, I forgot to add part of my question.

The character has Desolidification linked with Invisibility, so in this case I guess what I am asking is when they will become solid instead of visible?

I understand, I forgot to add part of my question.

The character has Desolidification linked with Invisibility, so in this case I guess what I am asking is when they will become solid instead of visible?

Since the attacl action ends the character's phase, I would rule he must either shut off his desolidification before beginning the haymaker, or he can perform the haymaker while desolid (which will likely not inflict damage unless his opponent is also desolid).

Oh you're not getting away that easily.

First off invisibility is confusing. We have this odd ruling on 'weapon based attacks' - I mean, I fail to see how attacking with strength and attacking with a club should be treated any differently. Maybe it is just me.

Second we have this haymaker thing. The attack is not actually launched until the end of the +1 segment - everything before is wind up. Turning off a power is a zero phase action: does taking a zero phase action disrupt the haymaker like aborting to a defensive action would? Good question, and not one with an answer in the rules. For game balance I would probably rule that it did, otherwise you get around the main downside to haymaker!

So, OK I am agreeing with the estimable Mr Neilson. I've just using more words :)

For the Haymaker, you take your Phase normally. The attack simply isn't applied until the end of the following Segment. So, if you act in Segment 6, your Phase still looks like:

Segment 6

Your Dex

Zero-Phase Actions (turn off Desolidification, or...)

Half-Phase

Zero-Phase Actions (...turn off Desolidification)

Attack Half-Phase: Haymaker

Segment 7

End of Segment

Haymaker applies (not another Half-Phase) if target hasn't moved

You can't take a Zero-Phase action in between your initiation of the Haymaker as an Attack Half-Phase in Segment 6 and when it comes off in Segment 7. If you wanted to turn off your Desolidification in Segment 7, you would have to delay your second Half-Phase until then, turn off the Desolidification, and then initiate the Haymaker (which then wouldn't apply until the end of Segment 8).