Special bonus for a well build lightsaber?

Nevenall

The other night the characters in my Jedi Academy campaign finally became Jedi when they found crystals and constructed their own lightsabers. One of the players rolled a natural 3 to create his lightsaber and I have been trying to think of some special bonus that I might give his lightsaber for that roll.

Anyone have any cool suggestions?

Here is what a lightsaber is in my campaign

Jedi Lightsaber: 3d6+1 HKA; AVLD (Combat Luck, or any Defense Power based upon being missed; +1½), Does Body (+1), 0 End Cost (+½), OIF (Lightsaber; -½), Strength Does Not Add to Damage (-½), Causes No Bleeding (-½), Real Weapon (-¼), Limited by Energy Fields (-¼). EP 50, AP 200, CP 67.

Re: Special bonus for a well build lightsaber?

It all depends what value you want equipment to have. Personally, I'd choose small bonuses only. I see Star Wars as being more about the people than the equipment - and while lightsabres matter (they're the symbol of the Jedi), I wouldn't want to see quality of lightsabre make much of a difference. It's the quality of the JEDI that matters.

That said, I'd have some difference between quality in lightsabres. But as C-- suggested, I'd set the bonuses pretty low.

But that's how I'd do it in my game. Check out Fantasy Hero for other 'magic weapon' options. Lightsabres already have many of them (such as lacking 'real weapon').

There are also behind-the-scenes benefits. If you require people to charge their sabres, perhaps this one is more efficient and lasts twice as long. Or functions better in adverse conditions. Again, this depends on what the norm is in your game. I've met GMs previously who said that sabres in rain run out very fast. Perhaps this one doesn't - and can even work underwater, like Kit Fisto's one in Clone Wars.

Many options without even touching combat stats, that still allow a player to go 'man, I have a cool lightsabre!' with definite justification.

I like the "lower energy drain" idea; of course, if you don't keep track of such things it's kinda pointless.

Personally, I would give 1-2 XP to the player, only to increase the player's Light Sabre building skill. Then again, I happen to think that's a good reward idea for most skills.

Unique color, and tie that to some distinctive feature or rep. "An aqua lightsaber? Oh yeah, that's the kid who took tried something new building his first lightsabe and it worked. Full marks, lad!"

Going by the Fantasy Hero book for suggestions of weapon special qualities, I'd suggest Noble Appearance - the lightsaber is obviously an item of extreme quality from a master artisan; +5 PRE, only for presence attacks (-1), OAF (-1). Possibly also only from other Jedi; this last one works exceptionally well if you're going to have plenty of "fallen" jedi, but it could also work to inspire other jedi on the PC's side.

In Knights of the Old Republic I & II special crystals or "'well-made" lightsabers provide bonus to-hit rolls, extra damage, and extra damage vs certain kinds of equipment, or special types of damage.

For a 3...umm....To me that is VERY special. Using your lightsaber rules I would go with

+1 OCV and +2 damage.

This might seem high, but I think it would also make the character far more careful with his lightsaber :)

I thought crystals were hard to come by. Maybe he managed to build his using fewer than normal, leaving enough left over to build another one from that batch. At the rate Star Wars characters lose hands (in the movies at least), having an extra lightsaber would be a good perk.

Thanks everyone! Those are all great ideas.

So what does he get?

Understand if you want to tell the player first, but you will let us know too? Right?

*Makes puppy dog eyes* Pleeeese?

So what does he get?

Understand if you want to tell the player first, but you will let us know too? Right?

*Makes puppy dog eyes* Pleeeese?

:)

So I'm thinking two things. First it has has an activation noise that is unlike other lightsabers, deeper sounding, and the hum is also lower in register. Second the charater's personal connection with his saber gives him a +2 OCV for hitting with missile reflected attacks. Though anyone else using the saber doesn't get the bonus.

I didn't want to give him a flat out OCV bonus becuase he doesn't really need it and damage bonuses don't mean much with a lightsaber.

As the game goes on, I have a feeling that is lightsaber will pick up some reputation that could benefit one of Ush Ke's future apprentices. If he ever passes it on.

And thanks again to everyone.

:)

So I'm thinking two things. First it has has an activation noise that is unlike other lightsabers, deeper sounding, and the hum is also lower in register. Second the charater's personal connection with his saber gives him a +2 OCV for hitting with missile reflected attacks. Though anyone else using the saber doesn't get the bonus.

I didn't want to give him a flat out OCV bonus becuase he doesn't really need it and damage bonuses don't mean much with a lightsaber.

As the game goes on, I have a feeling that is lightsaber will pick up some reputation that could benefit one of Ush Ke's future apprentices. If he ever passes it on.

And thanks again to everyone.

Sounds neat! The noise could easily become a very satisfying unique trait. I think it's a great idea. (Should encourage the player, when he gets better-known, to buy a reputation involving the lightsabre noise. :) )