Question: Usable by Other and AoE

jedbob

I'm trying to create a simple protection spell wherein a wizard can give a Force Field to himself and several others--obviously a Useable Simultaneously. However, I'm confused as to how the Area of Effect (Radius) could be applied to this effect, or even if it should. I want a spell that the wizard can use to protect formations of troops, which would suggest an Area of Effect. But the spell is already designed to work on 4x the normal number of people when Used Simultaneously, so is AoE even necessary. To further my confusion, how does Ranged work here? If the spell is not Ranged (and Useable on Others defaults to No Range), do the recipents of the protection have to be standing adjacent to the wizard when it is cast? If it is Ranged, can the wizard cast it at any number of potential recipients or is an AoE needed? Please help me through this confusion. I'm planning on GMing my first Fantasy Hero game soon, and I don't want to confuse my players when it comes to applying rules like this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Question: Usable by Other and AoE

A lot of what to use comes down to what you envision the effect to be. If what you are looking for is some sort of defense of a squad, all at once, then you may be looking for a force wall (no area effect required, just buy it as large as you need). If you are looking for a wizard to be able to shield each character individually, like a personal armor, then you are looking for Usable by Others (then the target can run the power if they like, and pay the END cost). If you want it so that the wizard doesn't have to touch the other characters to give the power away, then you want to add Ranged. For more info, check out pp 273-277 in 5ER.

JoeG

Re: Question: Usable by Other and AoE

If you are looking to apply the defense to a large number of people within an area, no matter their number, I would make it Usable as Attack and Area of Effect. If you want to be able to apply it to only friends, even if enemies are in the area, I would also make it Selective (and while in combat allies will have the choice of whether to lower their DCV and possibly be vulnerable to other attacks for a time, or make you have to hit their full DCV).

You may also want to use that approach if you want to be able to, "cast," the spell on multiple groups, because you can add the Uncontrolled Advantage or Continuous Charges.

If it is okay to be limited by number of allies affected at any given time, make it Usable by Others, buy up the number of targets, and add Ranged.