New Bleeding Rules

These Bleeding Rules are not mine. They were made by Abraham (bram) Isgar, who is the GM for the Low Fantasy game i play in. These rules were created by him after we found a significant chance of lots of bleeding from minor wounds and that it was too easy to stop bleeding from major wounds. So we made this system. This makes minor wounds stop bleeding easier, and lager wounds become more life threatening, as an aorta doesn't stop bleeding on a 6-21 on 6d6.

New Bleeding Rules

Characters track BODY damage in two parts: total BODY lost (ie, the normal damage total), and Bleed. Character start with 0 Bleed, and every time they take BODY, they take an equal amount of Bleed. When Body is healed, the amount of BODY healed is healed in Bleed.

At the end of every turn, characters take 1d6 NND (Defense is Does Not Bleed) Does Body for every 5 points, rounded up, of Bleed. Body damage taken this way does not add to Bleed. They then subtract 1 point of Bleed, subtract the number of 1 rolls, and add the number of 6 rolls to their Bleed. This step can never result in a net increase to Bleed.

Characters with Regeneration still bleed, but their regeneration usually counters the effect very quickly.

Every time a character who is not at full BODY takes any BODY damage, he must roll a Constitution check. Failing multiplies the amount of Bleed taken by the amount failed by. When the character is at or below 0 BODY after applying the attack, they add 1 to the multiplier. Characters cannot gain more Bleed than they have taken BODY damage. Bleeding damage does not force this check, but characters who are Bleeding and then take more BODY damage can gain extra Bleed from the Body taken by Bleeding.

Normal damage attacks cause lessened Bleed; characters who make the CON roll for taking BODY damage subtract one point of Bleed taken, plus one for every point they succeed by.

Paramedics removes 1 point of Bleed, +1 for every point the Paramedics check is made by. A botched Paramedics check causes immediate bleeding damage, and then resets the characters Bleed to the total BODY taken (after the instant Bleed caused by the halberd...I mean accident). This is an optional rule and will be applied at the GMs discretion based on dramatic sense, plot, and circumstance, but this is the standard effect of a catastrophic failure.

New Advantage: Bleed Reduction (+¼): For every level of Bleed Reduction as an advantage on Healing, the amount of Bleed removed is doubled. For example, for a +¾ advantage, the Healing removes eight times the amount of BODY rolled in Bleed.

Example: Ted punches Billy for 4 points of BODY (normal damage). After subtracting Ted’s 2 PD, he takes 2 BODY. Ted rolls a CON check and makes it exactly, so he takes

2-1=1 Bleed.

At the end of Phase 12, Ted has taken another 3 Bleed for a total of 4, so he rolls 1d6. He gets a 4, so he takes 4 Stun and 1 BODY, and then subtracts 1-0+0 = 1 Bleed. He now has 3 Bleed.

The next Phase 12, Ted bleed for another 1d6. He rolls a 1, so he take 1 Stun and loses 1-0+1=2 Bleed.

Days later, Ted has 11 BODY damage and has lost all of his Bleed, when he is shot with an arbalest in the Vitals. He takes 4 BODY, after defenses, and is dropped to negative BODY by the attack, and rolls a CON check. He fails by 2, so he gains 4x(2+1) = 12 Bleed.

Guest Black Lotus

Re: New Bleeding Rules

[copy] [paste]

Thanks, er... Roy. (Before I had the wrong name... uh... sorry.) I'll also give you some Reputation... when I'm allowed to give it, that is.

Which, as far as I know, may be never. :snicker:

thnx roy, you guys said you'd deliver in time for the new game. I'm going to try and use Bram's rules in the Kilsanth game....I hope. Now that I finally have a copy =P

^-^ hehe, have you talked to Bram lately? How the lug doing? I sure do miss his antics.

[copy] [paste]

Thanks, er... Roy. (Before I had the wrong name... uh... sorry.) I'll also give you some Reputation... when I'm allowed to give it, that is.

Which, as far as I know, may be never. :snicker:

You already earned your spurs, Lotus.

Go ahead and use 'em :D

Your rep power turned on when you hit 50 posts outside the NGD

And now, the more you say thats "repworthy" the more you'll be able to give other folks.

Guest Black Lotus

You already earned your spurs, Lotus.

Go ahead and use 'em :D

Your rep power turned on when you hit 50 posts outside the NGD

And now, the more you say thats "repworthy" the more you'll be able to give other folks.

It may be because I am using a Macintosh, but I don't get a cursor change -- or a response of any kind in the browser window -- when I move to someone's Reputation bar and click on it.

Am I missing something?

It may be because I am using a Macintosh, but I don't get a cursor change -- or a response of any kind in the browser window -- when I move to someone's Reputation bar and click on it.

Am I missing something?

Thats cause you don't use the rep bar...

You use the scales at the top right corner of the post, right next to the post#

Just click on the scales of a post you want to rep and It should open you a window that either lets you write a note why you're repping them, or a reason why you can't rep them... either because you've used your 5 reps for the day or because you've already repped them in your last 20 reppings.

Guest Black Lotus

Thats cause you don't use the rep bar...

You use the scales at the top right corner of the post, right next to the post#

Just click on the scales of a post you want to rep and It should open you a window that either lets you write a note why you're repping them, or a reason why you can't rep them... either because you've used your 5 reps for the day or because you've already repped them in your last 20 reppings.

::looks at the scale::

::stares off into space::

I need my coffee, I think. Where's the farking coffee?!

Thanks. :)

thnx roy, you guys said you'd deliver in time for the new game. I'm going to try and use Bram's rules in the Kilsanth game....I hope. Now that I finally have a copy =P

^-^ hehe, have you talked to Bram lately? How the lug doing? I sure do miss his antics.

We havent' talked much but he gave me some advice on lightsabers and wookies last night

Oh, yeah...

I think I like the rules. I'll have to mess with them a bit to get them to properly set in my head.

And to all three of you (Black Lotus, Roy the Ruthless, and Onyxclaw)

You're all proving to be wonderful additions to the board community.

:cheers:

Thanks AnB, that's really saying something!

Oh, yeah...

I think I like the rules. I'll have to mess with them a bit to get them to properly set in my head.

Bah, these dang kids have all the advantages! In my day we didn't even have VPPs or Damage Reduction! We'd sit around building our own Advantages and sub-systems just to make a character walk straight! We had to read 15 other RPG books to get good ideas! We had to write at least 50 pages of house rules to be respected as GMs!

Freakin' kids...grumble grumble...

:D

Seriously, it's nice to see new HERO players so enthusiastically modding the system and giving it serious thought. :thumbup:

Back when we were playing FH Greyhawk we had a simplified bleed rule: If you expend more end per turn then you have body you lost 1 point of body and stun due to bleeding. So if you started the game at 12 and took 3 body damage in a turn if you used more than 9 endurance that turn you would lose 1 body damage from exertion. The more damaged you were the less activity you could do per turn.

Oh, yeah...

Thanks! That's some pretty high praise.

I think this thread deserves a bump. More people should hear about the joys of superior bloodletting. Also I'd like to suggest a few new Advantages and Limitations to make use of Bram's bleeding rules.

No Bleed (-1/4): Alot of forms of damage should have this disadvantage built in, like the body damage taken from drowning for example. I can see a lot of odd attack powers that would need this.

Does Bleed (+1/4): A power that normal causes no body damage, and thus no bleed, causes bleed. Count the normal body and subtract the targets applicable defenses to determine the bleed.

Double Bleed (+3/4) or Does 1 1/2 Bleed (+1/2): Double the body taken after defenses for purposes of bleed. Limited while supplies last, buy your Longsword of Wounding +2 today!

With Roy's advice I based the prices off of the Knockback advantages, our reasoning being that both Bleeding and Knockback are side effects of damaging attack powers that can cause the target to take additional damage. You might find these untested advantages to be too cheap, (since knockback is easier to prevent,) which case you should probably disallow them or make them more expensive. I might recomend an extra +1/4.

I suppose I could have included Bleed Resistance to mirror Knockback Resistance, but you'd probably be better off taking Does Not Bleed for 15 pts of a die of Regeneration with a few levels of the Bleed Reduction (+1/4) advantage to represent your super blood clotting powers.

Maybe these rules further complicate an area of combat some people would rather ignore because of the extra bookkeeping, but personally I like my battles to be bloody.

A bump simply refers to posting in a thread so that the thread is "bumped" back to the top of the forum list. It's often done to reinitiate discussions or simply to express admiration for a particular thread. When the thread hasn't been posted to in a long time (whatever that means, but certainly once months have gone by) bumping is often called thread necromancy instead.