Saving Throws?

chariot

Saving Throws != Activation Roll

I think you will find enough ideas to suit your needs in this thread as well as the other thread I offerred.

After re-reading your original post though, I wonder why exactly you want this. It sounds like you just want to give people a chance to avoid this effect other than avoiding the attack (high ECV in this case). This sounds like a pretty straight foward example of an Activation Roll. Well maybe not quite so straight foward since technically, the Activation Roll is required to activate and use the power, not whether the power actually has any effect, but I think it is close enough.

Is this for the particular example you gave or are you concerned about other conversion problems around Saving Throws (i.e. Spells that grant bonuses, class bonuses, magical items)?

Re: Saving Throws != Activation Roll

I think you will find enough ideas to suit your needs in this thread as well as the other thread I offerred.

After re-reading your original post though, I wonder why exactly you want this. It sounds like you just want to give people a chance to avoid this effect other than avoiding the attack (high ECV in this case). This sounds like a pretty straight foward example of an Activation Roll. Well maybe not quite so straight foward since technically, the Activation Roll is required to activate and use the power, not whether the power actually has any effect, but I think it is close enough.

Is this for the particular example you gave or are you concerned about other conversion problems around Saving Throws (i.e. Spells that grant bonuses, class bonuses, magical items)?

The major difference I see between a Saving Throw and Activation Roll or RSR is that the target has a lot more control over the roll. Thus, a Saving Throw may be a lot easier for the target if they spent points to increase their ability to make such a Saving Throw, whereas the target really cannot influence an Activation Roll and there is no consistent way to influence the skill roll for an RSR Power (this may certainly be possible, but such situational modifiers as a target may cause are very up to the GM).

EDIT: Well, I guess a target could buy Negative Skill Levels, but that is tricky, and you might have to know which actual Skill(s) will apply unless you buy Overall ones, which are quite expensive.

Saving Throws != RSR

The major difference I see between a Saving Throw and Activation Roll or RSR is that the target has a lot more control over the roll.

You are absolutely right. As a GM, however, I would be willing to allow some sort of 'Requires Failed Skill Roll' and use RSR as an example of cost structure. Something like this was suggested in the thread I linked to.