Multiple Attacks

Re: Multiple Attacks

There are of course, two methods we're all overlooking.

1) PS: Boardbreaking. Number of boards and method of breaking them determines the penalty, or the amount you make your roll by determines how many boards you break in whatever time.

I wouldn't have a problem with this except that the exercise is meant to demonstrate attacks against multiple opponents. As such, I believe it should be defined in a way that actually could be used in real combat as well.

2) EB No Range. This is really how you should buy Martial Arts in Hero System anyway. Since it's not a punch, you can't block it (but that can be waived so it's not that important). What is important is that you can spread an EB for area or accuracy. You no longer need CSLs, and you get a better turn around on damage with EB anyway. So you stand in a hex surrounded by guys holding up 1138 boards, you spread your EB 9d6 EB No Range by 6 hexes to hit all the hexes around you and do 3d6 to each DEF 2 BODY 1 board breaking all of them. Ta-da!

Not bad, but I don't really like having to define an actual power for this. I believe it is something anyone should basically be able to do, and combat maneuvers are thus appropriate. A martial artist may just be able to do it a lot better than most. If you think about it, that is the way most of the Martial Maneuvers are. There are a few exceptions, such as Killing Strike, but I don't see it as unreasonable for a GM to, for example, decide an attack converts to Killing Damage in some rare occaisions even if a character doesn't have this kind of maneuver (especially appropriate for heroic games).

That's why I think that Sweep may be appropriate if the attacker doesn't have to move, and Move By is appropriate if there is more than trivial movement involved.

I wouldn't have a problem with this except that the exercise is meant to demonstrate attacks against multiple opponents. As such' date=' I believe it should be defined in a way that actually could be used in real combat as well.[/quote']

Board breaking, particularly competition board breaking, has nothing to do with combat, real or otherwise. The "combatants" have practiced striking specific locations with specific amounts of force. Unless 20 badguys a line up for him exactly where he's been practicing to hit for a month and stand there at 0 DCV for him, the speed you see in these kinds of events just won't happen against live opponents. It's one of the reasons I like the idea of using a simple Background Skill for it rather than maneuvers; because it isn't really combat.

Not bad, but I don't really like having to define an actual power for this. I believe it is something anyone should basically be able to do, and combat maneuvers are thus appropriate. A martial artist may just be able to do it a lot better than most. If you think about it, that is the way most of the Martial Maneuvers are. There are a few exceptions, such as Killing Strike, but I don't see it as unreasonable for a GM to, for example, decide an attack converts to Killing Damage in some rare occaisions even if a character doesn't have this kind of maneuver (especially appropriate for heroic games).

That's why I think that Sweep may be appropriate if the attacker doesn't have to move, and Move By is appropriate if there is more than trivial movement involved.

Perfectly reasonable in an actual combat scenario, but not on TV breaking boards that your buddies are holding up for you to hit. The EB No Range idea is just something I came up with for other reasons long ago, and thought could also apply in situations like this. In the EB's case, it can be used for this effect in combat.

Guest Black Lotus

Board breaking' date=' particularly competition board breaking, has nothing to do with combat, real or otherwise. The "combatants" have practiced striking specific locations with specific amounts of force. Unless 20 badguys a line up for him exactly where he's been practicing to hit for a month [i']and[/i] stand there at 0 DCV for him, the speed you see in these kinds of events just won't happen against live opponents. It's one of the reasons I like the idea of using a simple Background Skill for it rather than maneuvers; because it isn't really combat.

Quite correct. Real martial arts -- which, as I have mentioned before, I have practiced for 16 years -- are different from cinematic martial arts. For example, in the movies, Jet Li can defeat multiple Ultimate Fighting Championship competitors. In real life, just one of those UFC fighters -- who fight in real combats every week -- would handily defeat Jet Li. Jet even said so himself. The point is, one must learn to separate illusion from reality.

Quite correct. Real martial arts -- which' date=' as I have mentioned before, I have practiced for 16 years -- are different from cinematic martial arts. For example, in the movies, Jet Li can defeat multiple Ultimate Fighting Championship competitors. In real life, just one of those UFC fighters -- who fight in real combats every week -- would handily defeat Jet Li. Jet even said so himself. The point is, one must learn to separate illusion from reality.[/quote']

True enough, but the intent of katas and board breaking excercises was supposed to be practicing or demonstrating defense against multiple attackers. So if you are an idealist in your roleplaying, this should carry over to, "real," combat (which should usually be cinematic in-game anyway).

Guest Black Lotus

True enough' date=' but the [i']intent[/i] of katas and board breaking excercises was supposed to be practicing or demonstrating defense against multiple attackers. So if you are an idealist in your roleplaying, this should carry over to, "real," combat (which should usually be cinematic in-game anyway).

I agree with you, BUT -- I think most Martial Arts abilities should be mundane maneuvers, not Powers. I love martial arts, ninja, and samurai roleplaying, but i try to keep the "legendary" supernatural abilities -- jumping over houses, turning invisible, defeating 10,000 opponents single-handedly, jumping 50 feet straight up in the air, and landing 100 blows within seconds -- at arm's length.

However, I will admit I introduce some Powers as necessary to simulate extraordinary abilities such as catching arrows and the like.

I agree with you, BUT -- I think most Martial Arts abilities should be mundane maneuvers, not Powers. I love martial arts, ninja, and samurai roleplaying, but i try to keep the "legendary" supernatural abilities -- jumping over houses, turning invisible, defeating 10,000 opponents single-handedly, jumping 50 feet straight up in the air, and landing 100 blows within seconds -- at arm's length.

However, I will admit I introduce some Powers as necessary to simulate extraordinary abilities such as catching arrows and the like.

I'm just the opposite, I enjoy using Powers instead of maneuvers (mainly because the books suggest it, but the published character don't). Of course, I tend to run Champions or Anime style martial arts campaigns. Any character that just happens to know Karate or whatever style their teaching in the Army or at the mall, will probably just Martial Maneuvers, but Fei Long, who was taught by the Shao-Lin ghosts in a hidden temple, will probably have Powers instead of (or in addition to) martial maneuvers.

I'm just the opposite' date=' I enjoy using Powers instead of maneuvers (mainly because the books suggest it, but the published character don't). Of course, I tend to run Champions or Anime style martial arts campaigns. Any character that just happens to know Karate or whatever style their teaching in the Army or at the mall, will probably just Martial Maneuvers, but Fei Long, who was taught by the Shao-Lin ghosts in a hidden temple, will probably have Powers instead of (or in addition to) martial maneuvers.[/quote']

That's about the way I play it too.