Mapping Cities

assault

Here's a question which I would like opinions on:

How do you map a city? In particular, how do you deal with geographical, rather than artificial features, like hills, creeks/streams, vegetation and so on?

Mapping buildings and streets is fairly easy, particularly in areas where streets run in a grid pattern, but how do you keep track of the other stuff that makes terrain interesting? The usual wilderness mapping techniques don't quite seem to work in an urban area.

Re: Mapping Cities

Here's a question which I would like opinions on:

How do you map a city? In particular, how do you deal with geographical, rather than artificial features, like hills, creeks/streams, vegetation and so on?

Mapping buildings and streets is fairly easy, particularly in areas where streets run in a grid pattern, but how do you keep track of the other stuff that makes terrain interesting? The usual wilderness mapping techniques don't quite seem to work in an urban area.

I love using many fictional cities, and yet am too lazy to make my own maps for them. Still, one thing that might work, is if you have a good enough graphic program, is to take a grid and 'bulge' it slightly in spots.

Not sure about that.