Solara

Mark Rand

Re: Solara

I think I understand now. My view of "magical girl" differs from yours.

To me, Sailor Moon is a magical girl while the Andrea Thomas Isis is either an avatar or a goddess. To you, they're both magical girls. Right?

Not entirely. Isis was always an adult. But the Solaras apparently get their powers in adolescence and in superhero form always look like an adolescent, right? ( least I can't think of any reason for the sex change other than that there's a set physical appearance that all of them have like that Captain Marvel-like Image character whose secret identity was a woman. She was the only Image character I really liked.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not entirely. Isis was always an adult. But the Solaras apparently get their powers in adolescence and in superhero form always look like an adolescent' date=' right? ( least I can't think of any reason for the sex change other than that there's a set physical appearance that all of them have like that Captain Marvel-like Image character whose secret identity was a woman. She was the only Image character I really liked.[/quote']

Not quite.

The first Solaras, in 16th to 19th century Japan, got their powers in adolescence, but aged normally.

Keiko, the first American Solara, who had been active in Japan for 15 years, was a 28 year old widow when she came to the United States with her daughter in the 1870s. Since Amaterasu didn't want it known that Keiko was Solara, she let Keiko decide her appearance when she powered up. Keiko chose a blonde cowgirl in her 20s.

From then on, Solara ages at half the rate of her alter ego. Although Grace, the retired Solara, is 55 (my age), she'd look like she was 27 if she'd power up again.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a couple more crazy ideas for Solara yesterday.

First, Tim's parents are hardly ever home. They designated a neighbor as his guardian. She helps him when he needs it and drives him to the supermarket once a week to shop for food. She's 55 years old and nothing surprises her anymore.

Solara isn't handed down from mother to, usually, daughter. Instead, the campaign's equivlent of The Powers That Be chose him. His mentor is a ghost from either his past or his parents'.

Solara doesn't look like a sailor scout. Instead, she looks like a geisha.

Hmm... I seem to recall that there was this anime with a very similar premise except that the costume was technological and designed originally for a man but was first activated by his little sister and so....

I can't recall the name for the life of me at the moment....

Hmm... I seem to recall that there was this anime with a very similar premise except that the costume was technological and designed originally for a man but was first activated by his little sister and so....

I can't recall the name for the life of me at the moment....

Moldiver

got it. pretty good idea, for a super hero origin actually.

• 3 months later...

I had a few ideas today that I'd like to post for your comments.

Tim's Great Aunt Sarah was born in 1940. She got her R.N. from a two-year hospital school in 1960 and worked as an airline stewardess until 1964, when she married, had a daughter, and returned to work as a hospital staff nurse. She wore a white uniform and cap until they went out out of style. After that, she wore scrubs until her retirement.

Tim's Aunt Grace, Great Aunt Sarah's daughter, was born in 1964. She received her B.S.N. and R.N. in 1986, and began wearing a white uniform and cap to work. She gave up the cap in 1990 and began wearing scrubs in 1999. She was laid off in March of 2002 and became a school crossing guard in September of that year.

In 2004, Tim Clark's parents had a very messy divorce. The judge, decided that neither were fit to care for Tim, gave him to Grace.

Tim himself is in ninth grade in high school when we meet him. He's in the drama club and swim team and plays on a co-ed soccer team.

Cathy Grayson is the ghost of Tim's favorite baby sitter. Since she was in formal wear when she was gunned down in a drive-by shooting, she always appears that way to him. She is, simply, someone close to his age that he can talk to. Although normally desolid, she can become solid for thirty seconds each visit. She uses this time to be affectionate with him.

After seeing his aunt watch Sailor Moon one day, he asked, "Where did you find that?"

"It's one of the original Japanese serieses with English voices dubbed. I have all of them, the series that ran here and the live-action series, also dubbed, on DVD," she replied.

"How did it start?" Tim asked

"It started out as a graphic novel, like a comic book, for adults," Grace replied. "Then, it became a cartoon series, also for adults. When it came here to the United States, the importer decided to make it for children and did a lot of editing on it."

"Oh," Tim said. "Why isn't there a Sailor Sun?"

• 4 weeks later...

"The creator didn't put one in," she replied. "However, it is believed that there are many more Sailor Soldiers, which is the proper term, then there are shown in the series."

"I thought they were Sailor Scouts," Tim said.

"I think that term was created by the people that made the dub," Grace said.

"Oh."

• 2 weeks later...

Assorted stuff.

The campaign universe is mentioned in the "Black Widow revisited" thread, http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47208.

Tim is a ninth grader at Taylor Allderdice High School.

Tim's grandmother, Grace, was born in 1940. After getting her diploma from a two-year nursing program in 1960, she spent four years as a flight attendant before marrying and going back into nursing. She's now retired and lives in Phoenix.

Tim's widowed mother, Ruth, was born in 1965. In 1987, she graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with her BSN. She got her RN later that year. She wore her cap and white uniform through 1988, when she gave up her cap. In 1990, she switched from a regular uniform to, usually blue, scrubs. She became a certified school nurse in 1995, and works at the school her son is now attending.

Tim's background has been specified in a previous posting.