A request for a conversion...

Belirahc

Hi all...

I've found a few nice conversions for a couple of the more interesting campaign worlds out there (Eberron and Warhammer Fantasy), but one I am thinking of converting is XCrawl.

XCrawl is a rather devious campaign world, set in the modern times. Elves, halflings, and other non-human entities live in this world, but are second class citizens. Also, in the world of XCrawl, there is only one democracy, Zimbabwei. The rest of the world is a grouping of empires, the largest being the NAE, The North American Empire, which is run by Emporer Ronald the 1st.

And like the Roman Empire it has been modelled, it is beginning to fall apart. But Emporer Ronald has found a way to keep the masses placated... XCrawl.

Pre-arranged dungeon crawls, hosted by Gamesmasters, and run by professional Crawlers who are more celebrated than any other athelete in the world.

Of course, there are no second chances in these dungeons. If you live, count yourself lucky. You'll get money, fame, and most likely lucrative sponsorship deals. If you die... you die.

OK. That was a quick overview. *grins* I'd like to know if there would be an interest in a conversion for this setting, and if there might be anyone out there that might be able to help me get started.

Thanks all. I hope this is appropriate for this forum. If not, I am willing to move to a more appropriate location.

-Beli.

Re: A request for a conversion...

Well, you generally dont convert settings; settings are just intellectual concepts. You normally convert mechanics, and typically this is only done if the source material has cool ideas that would enrich games run with different systems if they can be translated into that game's mechanics.

Basically, the concept of what you describe can be easily accomplished with a straight up Fantasy HERO game. Just make FH characters and run them thru an "XCrawl" scenario.

If there are specific mechanics or game conventions in effect in this setting then that's a different story. But otherwise it sounds like a non issue.

Well, honestly, the setting is a form of controlled fantasy mixed with modern conveniences... which are also controlled. Most stuff is powered by magic, but electricity is available as well. Also, there are the standard 'classes' of characters, but you also have classes like the Athelete and Paramedic which add some modern day thrill to things.

There is also a rule known as mojo, which is a bit difficult to explain currently as I do not have the rulebook in front of me. Basicly its a pool of points that are owned by the group, but can only be used on groupmates, never yourself. You can give them to others, but others have to give you points if they feel you need them.

While there is a lot that you can derive from fantasy, there is also a lot of setting specific rules that I have to figure out how to convert. I'll start looking into some of this when I get home today. Still learning the massive rulebook, and am wondering where to even start :D

I doubt many people are familiar with the game on their own so you'll have to be specific. Try posting a description of a specific mechanic in XCrawl and asking how that particular mechanic can be modeled in the HERO System.

There isn't any that I can think of. Basically, all X-Crawl is is ***/3rd Edition D&D with some modern tricks. If someone has done a D&D to HERO conversion, then you have all you need. I actually thought it would be a fun way to run D&D in a HERO setting. It would be harder to kill the PCs, leading to longer play time (X-Crawl is very lethal as written), which would be plus. Of course, it is also harder to kill the monsters (sometimes) although that might be a benefit too (repeat stars among your opponents!). The major conversion work, come to think of it, is developing the Social Limitations for some of the races (such as Half-Orcs and Halflings), since they have specific "roles" in society. Most of the rest can be run with FH, TFHG I & II, MMM, and THB.

Thanks Shrike. That'll help some.

I guess a lot of it is mechanical stuff that can possibly be converted pretty easily, but I have an instance I'd like to discuss to figure out the best way to use it. Signature Moves. Signature moves are the Crawler's call signs, sort of like the finishing moves of wrestlers. In D & D, they take three rounds to complete, and if all parts are completed successfully, then there is a mojo bonus given to the team, as well as a bit more fame for the player.

As an example, the fighter of my all-Halfling team, the Half-Pint Hooligans, had a signature move called the Hi how are ya!. In round one, the Signal is given. Every signature move has to have a signal. He draws his battle axe, and holds a throwing axe above his head, giving a devious smile at the back of his opponent. This all takes place in round one. No other moves can be made. Round two, he send the throwing axe at his opponents back. Round three, he charges into his opponent, swing his battle axe with all his might.

Maybe this doesn't need to be converted, but I am wondering if maybe the use of linking would be best here, and perhaps a luck boost or something if all three parts are successful. I'm still working on the mojo portion of the rules, but the D & D conversion is very helpful.

Thanks again.

This is how I would do it:

Mojo

I would build the Mojo as a Variable Power Pool that is only usable on others. If it let's you perform anything, I'd make it cosmic.

Mojo: VPP, Cosmic (+2), Others Only (-1/2)

Signature Move

The Signature Move is just a roleplayed attack sequence (and a trigger to the GM).

Signature Move Bonus

If I understood it correctly, the Signature Move gives a Mojo bonus, ad that could be simulated in this way:

Signature Move Bonus: Aid Mojo VPP, Only After Signature Move (-1/2)

Thanks Shrike. That'll help some.

I guess a lot of it is mechanical stuff that can possibly be converted pretty easily, but I have an instance I'd like to discuss to figure out the best way to use it. Signature Moves. Signature moves are the Crawler's call signs, sort of like the finishing moves of wrestlers. In D & D, they take three rounds to complete, and if all parts are completed successfully, then there is a mojo bonus given to the team, as well as a bit more fame for the player.

As an example, the fighter of my all-Halfling team, the Half-Pint Hooligans, had a signature move called the Hi how are ya!. In round one, the Signal is given. Every signature move has to have a signal. He draws his battle axe, and holds a throwing axe above his head, giving a devious smile at the back of his opponent. This all takes place in round one. No other moves can be made. Round two, he send the throwing axe at his opponents back. Round three, he charges into his opponent, swing his battle axe with all his might.

Maybe this doesn't need to be converted, but I am wondering if maybe the use of linking would be best here, and perhaps a luck boost or something if all three parts are successful. I'm still working on the mojo portion of the rules, but the D & D conversion is very helpful.

Thanks again.

Reputation, and the acts necessary to maintain it. :)

Mojo...Could Luck that is Usable By Others work? [EDIT: Plus: Not On Self (-1)]

There are several ways to do the "signature" move thing, ranging from not bothering to convert it at all (and just doing the various parts of it on consecutive actions), to a "hard" conversion, to an abstract/soft conversion, to an enticement scenario, and so on and so on.

In the hard conversion you define a direct equivalent. You could do this by building custom Power Constructs that take Extra Time (Extra Phase) and Delayed Phase or Extra Segment. Dial in the damage/effect. Make the final product a Talent.

Example (I dont have my book w/ me so Im guessing at the Lim vals):

Signature Move: Halfling Axewhack

With this ability the Halfling brandishes a throwing axe in one hand and a battle axe in the other impressively; they then chuck the throwing axe at an opponent and charge them with their battle axe swinging!

This Talent may only be taken by a Halfling. They must be proficient with Axes and Throwing Axes.

Ranged Killing Attack +1d6, OIF (Throwing Axe of Opportunity), Extra Time: Extra Phase, Range Based On Strength; 15 AP, 5 Real

plus

Hand Killing Attack +1d6 OIF (Battle Axe of Opportunity), Extra Time: Extra Segment; 15 AP, 7 Real

Halfling Axewhack: 12 Character Points per 1d6 Ranged damage and 1d6 HtH damage. +1 Damage Class for each may be bought for +4 points; this may be purchased up to 3 times.

A soft conversion mimics the general idea, but not the exact implementation. An example soft conversion might be to use Custom Martial Arts to model this kind of behavior, treating a Signature Move as a Martial Art style. The "Must Follow" and "Lasting Restriction" elements could be used to good effect to control the sequencing of Manuevers to match the order of events in the Signature Move.

I dont have the UMA with me, but in an abstract sense you could build a couple of custom manuevers to do the Halfling Axewhacker attack; build the axe throw as a ranged manuever that does killing damage and has the haymaker detriment, and build the axe charge as a FMOVE killing manuever that Must Follow the axe throw. Add enough bennies to them so that they both cost 5 points and you are good to go (you have to spend a minimum of 10 points on MA Manuevers).

In an enticement conversion you don't force players to purchase abilities to do things like this, but instead you can entice them to CHOOSE to do it. For example, you could say that if a player takes an action to set up, and then follows it with the first part of their signature move and then follows that with the last part of their signature move then they get a bonus of some kind -- maybe a bonus to hit, or damage, or on a Presense Attack. Something along those lines. This basically doesn't make any assumptions or require any investment from players in character points; it just requires them to define what their signature move consists of, and rewards them for using it. Thus, it entices them to use it without need of a conversion.