Batgirl: The Animated Series

Mark Rand

Gotham City, New Jersey exists in many alternate realities. In this one, the Waynes had a daughter, Barbara, not a son, Bruce. Additionally, they had a maid and butler to care for their house. Their daughter, Marie, became Barbara's maid.

The two were best friends as they grew up. They loved watching Westerns and dressing up like cowgirls. One fateful night, they stood together and watched in shock as Barbara's parents were murdered. Later that night, with only God and Marie as witnesses, Barbara pledged her life to the war against crime.

In the years that followed, while Marie learned about caring for Wayne Manor and Barbara's clothes and appearance, Barbara traveled the world, learning to hone her body and mind. While in Japan, she was introduced to her sensi's American cousin, who was also studying ninjitsu. The two became close friends and agreed to keep in touch.

Now Barbara is an adult and, as Batgirl, fight to keep Gotham City safe.

Since Batgirl prefers the stealthy approach, the Batmobile, although armored and full of weapons, sensors, computers, and communications gear, looks like a Corvette.

The Batcave is based on the current one in the main DC Universe.

Batgirl is easier to get along with than Batman. She gets along well with law enforcement officials, but keeps the "creature of the night" style.

Batgirl has become good friends with Warder, a local mage. A passageway connects the Batcave to Warder's fastness. The passageway provides access to the Batcave for her small support staff and whatever liaisons law enforcement agencies assign to her as well as access to two other pocket realities. Although Batgirl and the heroes she's gathering around her don't have access to Warder's fastness, they do have access to the pocket realities.

Both are from Earths where all life died out in 1962. In both, the bodies are small piles of crystals. One gateway leads to a Japanese garden with a large lake, bridges, a stage, and a tea house. The other leads to a city block consisting of a hotel, church, a house for the pastor and his family, and a public hall that's owned by the church.

Keiko, the ninjitsu student Barbara met in Japan, is the daughter of one of Wayne Enterprises's vice-presidents and a skilled gymnast. She serves as Batgirl's engineer and, for relaxation, drives a Lamborghini Diablo in races sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America. Barbara keeps trying to get Keiko to join her in the field, but Keiko refuses, saying she's too busy. Her current project is turning a five foot radio-control model of a Bell 427 helicopter into a spy drone.

Re: Batgirl: The Animated Series

There are going to be at least sister threads to this one. The first two are "Batgirl:TAS: Gotham City", which goes into greater detail about Gotham City, New Jersey and its surroundings, and "Batgirl:TAS: Rogues Gallery", which discusses the villains that plague the Gotham City area.

Will we see any familiar faces?

I'm not sure. However, there will be some familiar MOs. A hint, some of the rogues gallery will be adapted from CKC, while others are from Dark Champions: The Animated Series or my own twisted mind.

Guest Major Tom

Gotham City, New Jersey exists in many alternate realities. In this one, the Waynes had a daughter, Barbara, not a son, Bruce. Additionally, they had a maid and butler to care for their house. Their daughter, Marie, became Barbara's maid.

The two were best friends as they grew up. They loved watching Westerns and dressing up like cowgirls. One fateful night, they stood together and watched in shock as Barbara's parents were murdered. Later that night, with only God and Marie as witnesses, Barbara pledged her life to the war against crime.

In the years that followed, while Marie learned about caring for Wayne Manor and Barbara's clothes and appearance, Barbara traveled the world, learning to hone her body and mind. While in Japan, she was introduced to her sensi's American cousin, who was also studying ninjitsu. The two became close friends and agreed to keep in touch.

Now Barbara is an adult and, as Batgirl, fight to keep Gotham City safe.

Since Batgirl prefers the stealthy approach, the Batmobile, although armored and full of weapons, sensors, computers, and commuications gear, looks like a Corvette.

The Batcave is based on the current one in the main DC Universe.

Batgirl is easier to get along with than Batman. She gets along well with law enforcement officials, but keeps the "creature of the night" style.

Batgirl has become good friends with Warder, a local mage. A passageway connects the Batcave to Warder's fastness. The passaneway provides access to the Batcave for her small support staff and whatever liaisons law enforcement agencies assign to her as well as access to two other pocket realities. Although Batgirl and the heroes she's gathering around her don't have access to Warder's fastness, they do have access to the pocket realities.

Both are from Earths where all life died out in 1962. In both, the bodies are small piles of crystals. One gateway leads to a Japanese garden with a large lake, bridges, a stage, and a tea house. The other leads to a city block consisting of a hotel, church, a house for the pastor and his family, and a public hall that's owned by the church.

Keiko, the ninjitsu student Barbara met in Japan, is the daughter of one of Wayne Enterprises's vice-presidents and a skilled gymnast. She serves as Batgirl's engineer and, for relaxation, drives a Lamborghini Diablo in races sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America. Barbara keeps trying to get Keiko to join her in the field, but Keiko refuses, saying she's too busy. Her current project is turning a five foot radio-control model of a Bell 427 helicopter into a spy drone.

So, the bodies are small piles of crystal, huh? In that case, Batgirl had better

start looking over her shoulder, because sooner or later, some crazed-looking

gent with a raygun who looks suspiciously like Morgan Woodward will wind up

jumping at her from out of nowhere and taking potshots at her.

Major Tom :winkgrin:

So, the bodies are small piles of crystal, huh? In that case, Batgirl had better

start looking over her shoulder, because sooner or later, some crazed-looking

gent with a raygun who looks suspiciously like Morgan Woodward will wind up

jumping at her from out of nowhere and taking potshots at her.

Major Tom :winkgrin:

Actually, I took the idea from some science fiction movie I saw on Chiller Theater when it was on television on Saturday afternoons on KDKA TV instead of Saturday nights on WIIC, later WPXI.

Two days after Keiko joined Batgirl's team, she was told that three people were in Warder's house and wanted to see her and Batgirl. She quickly agreed to meet them in the Japanese garden and Keiko went to fetch them.

She returned to the garden with an African-American woman, a dark-haired man and a blonde woman.

"Thank you for meeting us on such short notice," the African-American woman said. "I'm Christine Hunter, an expert in superhuman law and your DOSPA liaison."

"Pleasure," Batgirl said, shaking her hand.

"Likewise," Keiko said.

"Thank you. There's something you should see," Christine said, slipping her wrist-lengh black leather gloves off and showing Batgirl and Keiko her hands. "I've had dermatitis on my hands, and have worn gloves constantly, since I was nine."

"I see," Batgirl said. "Thank you for telling us."

"You're welcome," Christine said.

"James Masterson," the dark-haired man said. "I'm Christine's assistant, a former CIA field agent and, according to family history, a direct decendent of William Barkley Masterson himself."

"How'd you end up in the DOSPA?" Keiko asked.

"Interagency politics," James replied. "Since I often did what were called black-bag jobs, I got caught in the crossfire between two agencies. I ended up joining the DOSPA and being assigned here."

"I'm Jim's wife, April," the blonde said. "I was on the nursing staff of a DC area hospital until I got downsized out of a job. I was looking for work when Jim was assigned here."

"We'll probably need your help," Batgirl admitted. "Want a job?"

"Yes," April replied.

"Welcome to the team," Batgirl said. "We just have to get through some paperwork."

"The bane of civilization," April muttered.

"Yeah," Keiko said.

"What happened to the bodies?" Jim asked, pointing to the piles of clothing around them.

"Keiko and I found piles of crystals within the clothes," Batgirl replied. "According to the mass spec, they're made up of the same minerals that are within the human body and in the same proportions."

"Any idea what happened here?" Christine asked.

"No," Batgirl replied. "All Keiko and I had time for was a quick search of this garden and the buildings through the other gateway. Everything happened in 1962 and within a short timespan."

"They might have happened on the same day and on the same Earth," Keiko said. "Without a more thorough search, we can't be sure."

Actually' date=' I took the idea from some science fiction movie I saw on [i']Chiller Theater[/i] when it was on television on Saturday afternoons on KDKA TV instead of Saturday nights on WIIC, later WPXI.

Hmmmm....Sounds like "Night Of The Comet" perhaps ?

-Carl-

Hmmmm....Sounds like "Night Of The Comet" perhaps ?

-Carl-

Nope. Since I saw it, on television, in the early 1960s, it had to have been made in the 1950s.

Although it could've been a B movie, it wasn't one of Roger Corman's. I had that idea myself, but the internet movie database proved me wrong.

"We should do a more extensive sweep of everything as soon as possible," Jim said.

"Agreed," Keiko said. "When do you want to do it?"

"Tonight," Jim replied. "We'll be in black from head to toe."

"Including ski masks?" Keiko asked.

"Yes," Jim replied as April and Christine gasped. "Any problems with it?"

"I had one on for four hours once," she replied. "You?"

"Three hours," Jim replied. "We'll mask ourselves in Warder's basement, then enter the gateway."

"Agreed," Keiko said.

"I have to see this, too," Christine said.

"You might need a nurse," April added.

"Fine," Keiko said. "Either of you worn a ski mask before?"

"No," April replied.

"Same here," Christine replied.

"You will tonight," Jim said.

"If that's all settled, I'll take you on a tour of the Batcave," Batgirl said.

That night, as April, Christine, Jim, and Keiko, wearing black turtleneck sweaters, jeans, comfortable footwear, and jackets, walked to the gateway in the basement of Warder's house, Christine asked, "How long will we be masked?"

"Three or four hours," he replied as he and Keiko pulled their ski masks and gloves on.

"That long?" April gasped, fingering her ski mask.

"Yes," Jim replied.

"I don't have a problem with that," Keiko purred with a Japanese accent.

"You're a ninja," Christine said. "You're used to it. We're not." She then asked, "Can someone help me with this?"

While Keiko did, Jim asked, "April, what's the longest you've ever worn a surgical mask and scrub cap?"

"Four hours," she replied. "Why?"

"It's no different," he replied, helping his wife mask herself. Once they were all gloved and masked, he handed out headlights and said, "Once we go through the gateway, turn them on to white, not red."

They walked through the gateway, into the hall, turned their lights on, and entered the Japanese garden.

Sorry about the delay between posts. I've been busy.

We'll get back to the story after I've passed on a few things.

Barbara is a brunette. Her costume is identical to the one Cassandra Cain wears.

The idea of converting the bodies to crystals may have come from a Star Trek:TOS episode and was put here as an alternative to cremating the bodies in the alternate reality.

I've been giving some consideration to adding the Buffyverse, post Angel season five, to the universe. If I do, Batgirl will carry two stakes with her and kill vampires she finds feeding on people. She will know where the nearest Hellmouth is (in Sommerset Township) and stay in contact with the Slayers through their Watcher.

I'm also considering taking ideas from Frank Miller's Sin City and putting them into the campaign. The local version of Old Town would be a 25-square block area of The Hill (a somewhat rundown Gotham City neighborhood). The Truce would've been effect since 1980 (or before) and the money the police get now goes into the Police Widows and Orphans Fund. Although some character names will be taken from Frank's books, their backgrounds won't. Here's a bit to entice you.

Dwight was in the military and is the son of two GCPD detectives. He's known Gail since they were six and they've been lovers since they were twelve. Miho, who is half-Japanese, is Dwight's first cousin and Shelley is Gail's first cousin. The four share a two-bedroom apartment. Dwight and Gail share a bed. Miho and Shelley have twin beds in the other room.

As they walked past the ticket booth, Christine said, "A lot of bodies have gloves beside them."

"This is 1962," Keiko said. "Back then, according to my mother, women always wore gloves outdoors and many uniformed women wore them indoors, too."

"I see," Christine said."

"There's information about the garden here," April said, pointing to a counter.

"I'll gather them up," Christine said, removing her backpack. She opened it, removed plastic evidence bags, put each item in one, repacked her backpack, and put it back on.

They continued exploring the garden. When they finished, they had four newspapers. All of which were in Christine's backpack.

"Now, to go through the other gateway," Jim said.

They went through the gate and spotted the church. "The parsonage is around to the left and the church hall's to the right," Keiko said, still with a Japanese accent. "The hotel's behind them."

"We'll check the church out first," Jim said. "Switch your lights to red once you're inside. That way, there'll be less chance of someone getting blinded by glare."

"Have you done this before?" Christine asked.

"A few times," Jim admitted. "Most of my work was general spying. However, I once met a female agent that did only black-bag jobs."

"What was she like?" Christine asked.

"She was an African-American woman, like you, and she always wore gloves," Jim replied. "As I understood it, she simply loved wearing them. Rumor has it that she's a skilled actress, dancer, and seductress as well as a cat burglar."

"Where is she now?" Christine asked.

"Homeland Security," Jim replied.

"There's a blood drive in the Fellowship Hall and a wellness fair in the community center. That might refer to the church hall," Christine said

"Probably," Keiko said. "Let's check this floor, then the one above, and then the basement."

"Right," Jim said. "Let's go."

"I see something," Christine said, her Southern accent making her voice distinctive. "Looks like a copy of the church's newsletter."

"Anything interesting in it?" April asked.

"They give the city and state the church is from, information about the blood drive and wellness fair, a staff listing, and an interview with Jen, the church sexton," Christine replied.

"Anything interesting in the interview?" Jim asked.

"She's a gifted singer," Christine replied. "She was in her high school choir and competed in her high school talent show as a country-western singer."

"Then, why wasn't she a member of the choir?" Keiko asked.

"She's too busy," Christine replied. "However, she's listed in the staff section as an honorary member and their mascot."

"We'll take it with us," Jim said. It got put into a plastic bag and they continued their exploration of the building.

They found Jen's clothing, and a vacuum cleaner in the sanctuary. The rest of the clothing on the floor was also normal for that era.

"Choir robes and albs along with small lockers, a full-length mirror, and service schedules," April said, her New England accent evident.

"A robing room, with three doors," Jim said.

"One is unmarked," Christine said. "The second's the sacristy, and the third's a storage room. Further along the hall is another unmarked door, the pastor's study, the music office, the nurse's office, restrooms, closets, and the custodian's apartment."

"We'll look through them all," Jim said, opening the first unmarked door. "Circuit breaker boxes and two cabinets, one large and one small. The small one was wires coming out of it."

"Probably the sanctuary amplifier," Keiko said. "The large one might hold microphones, cables, and stands."

"Let's look," Jim said. Keiko was right. "The sacristy next." The door lock yielded to his lockpicks and they looked inside. There were more schedules, a book telling what to set out when, and the various items found in a sacristy. The storage room held extras of some sacristy items.

Behind the second unmarked door was a dressing room. A rack of identical long-sleeve black dresses on one side. Above them were wrist-length black gloves and below were black pumps. A rack containing identical long-sleeve white dresses was across the room. White gloves were above it and white pumps below it. The wall between them held a full-length mirror and schedules for the church ushers and parish nurses. In the center of the room were chairs and a table. "Uniforms?" Jim asked.

"Maybe," April replied, grabbing a book from the table. "This church handbook should tell us." She looked through it, and said, "The black outfits are for the ushers to wear during services. The white ones are to be worn by whatever parish nurse is on duty while services are being held. Otherwise, she's to wear her regular uniform and cap."

They left the dressing room and visited the pastor's study. A pile of men's clothing was on the floor and a black robe hung in a closet. They visited the music office next. The door was locked. Keiko picked it. It was empty of clothing. Music books and scores were in evidence, though.

From there, they visited the nurse's office. A white uniform and cap were on the floor. A purse was on the desk and a raincoat hung from a wall hook. "Her uniform's a short-sleeve dress," April said after examining it. "No photo ID, but there's a pin from her school on the left collar and an ID bar on her left chest."

"Probably typical for 1962," Christine said.

"Yeah," April said. "Photo IDs came into use in the late 1970s." They continued on. The restrooms were empty. One closet held cleaning supplies, the other light bulbs. They then went to the custodian's apartment. Jim unlocked it. Country albums were under the record player, photos of female country stars, all in Western clothes, were on the walls. Looking in her bedroom, they found her costumes, identical, in style, to what the singers in the photos wore, in with her regular clothes.

They went downstairs next. Aside from the regular clothes, there were, as expected, more white uniforms and caps, probably belonging to the staff from the blood bank.

Next, the parsonage and community center.