Telekinesis and Martial Arts

radioKAOS

Re: Telekinesis and Martial Arts

I've been following this thread with some interest, so allow me to chip in my two pennies...

Currently, I have a supervillain called Shadowplay who has invisibility (always on), the power to create really good images which also affect hearing and smell/taste groups (with a really high skill in Ventriloquism), then employs telekinesis with fine manipulation as the image's "Strength" and ability to attack. In addition, the character has Clairsentience with hearing & smell/taste groups so he can actually "experience life from the image's point of view." Yes, the character has gobs of disguise, oratory, acting, mimicry, etc., so he can literally create an image of virtually anyone.

Anyway, I wound up buying martial arts for this character "usable with Telekinesis and unarmed" for one extra point. (4th Ed.) I'm hoping to throw my players for a loop when they let this guy have it and he either a) doesn't react at all to their powers, or B) fakes getting smacked around but never goes down. I made the character exactly as strong as his telekinesis (partly to get the correct values to print on the character sheet, partly as a reflection of the character concept).

Does it sound like I've missed anything here? Or would I need to post a character sheet? :) Thanks for the indulgence.

Matt "Always-looking-for-constructive-criticism" Frisbee

I've been following this thread with some interest, so allow me to chip in my two pennies...

Currently, I have a supervillain called Shadowplay who has invisibility (always on), the power to create really good images which also affect hearing and smell/taste groups (with a really high skill in Ventriloquism), then employs telekinesis with fine manipulation as the image's "Strength" and ability to attack. In addition, the character has Clairsentience with hearing & smell/taste groups so he can actually "experience life from the image's point of view." Yes, the character has gobs of disguise, oratory, acting, mimicry, etc., so he can literally create an image of virtually anyone.

Anyway, I wound up buying martial arts for this character "usable with Telekinesis and unarmed" for one extra point. (4th Ed.) I'm hoping to throw my players for a loop when they let this guy have it and he either a) doesn't react at all to their powers, or B) fakes getting smacked around but never goes down. I made the character exactly as strong as his telekinesis (partly to get the correct values to print on the character sheet, partly as a reflection of the character concept).

Does it sound like I've missed anything here? Or would I need to post a character sheet? :) Thanks for the indulgence.

Matt "Always-looking-for-constructive-criticism" Frisbee

I like the concept, and you are an evil, evil person. ;)

By popular demand...

Shadowplay

Characteristics

VAL STAT PTS

18 STR 8

20 DEX 30

15 CON 10

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

10 PRE 0

10 COM 0

5 PD 1

5 ED 2

4 SPD 10

7 REC 0

30 END 0

30 STUN 1

----------------

Points 90

Powers

Cost Item

35 Elemental Control: Illusionary Powers (35-pt. Reserve)

43-a Invisibility to Sight & Mental Groups with No Fringe; 0 END,

Persistent (+1); Always On (-1/2) [0] (The Shadowplayer is never

seen.)

43-b Images to Sight, Hearing & Smell/Taste Groups with -4 to PER;

1" Radius; 0 END (+1/2) [0] (The puppet is always the center of

attention.)

39-c Telekinesis (STR 18) with Fine Manipulation; AE 1 hex (+1/2);

0 END (+1/2) [0] (The Shadow Magic that brings the puppet to life.)

40-d Clairsentience with Sight, Hearing & Smell/Taste Groups;

0 END (+1/2) [0] (The true mastery allows the Shadowplayer to

become the puppet.)

3 +1 PER with all senses

--------------------

203 Points for Powers

No Talents or Perks

Skills

Points Item

9 Acting 14-

5 Concealment 14-

5 Contortionist 14-

9 Disguise 14-

9 Oratory 14-

9 Shadowing 14-

5 Stealth 14-

9 Ventriloquism 14-

17 Comic Book Martial Arts

(4) Punch (+0 OCV, +2 DCV, 6 1/2 d6)

(5) Kick (-2 OCV, +1 DCV, 8 1/2 d6)

(3) Throw (+0 OCV, +1 DCV, 4 1/2 d6 + v/5)

(1) Martial Arts Usable with Telekinesis & Unarmed

(4) +1 DC for Martial Attacks (figured in)

----------

77 Points for skills

370 Total Points for Characteristics, Powers & Skills

Disadvantages = 200 + Points

Points Item

10 Destitute

10 Enraged if someone discovers the "person behind the puppet."

(Unc, Go 14-, Rec. 11-, Enraged only)

20 Normal Characteristics Maxima

10 PHY: He's always invisible (kinda like being blind, but while you can

see where you're going, you can't see your hands or feet)

(Frequently, Slightly)

15 PSY: Code vs. Killing (Common, Strong)

15 PSY: Occasionally forgets what's real and what isn't (Uncommon,

Total)

10 PSY: Prankster (Common, Moderate)

10 PSY: Treats his "Puppets" as if they were real people (Common,

Moderate)

15 Secret Identity (Charlie Waters, transient)

15 Susceptable to having his true nature discovered (it shatters the

illusion he lives in) (Uncommon, 3d6 Stun, Instant)

30 Villain Bonus

10 Vulnerability to illusions other than his own (Uncommon, x2 Effect)

-----------

370 Total Points

Background (brief)

Charlie Waters was an only child whose favorite game was "let's pretend." But, since he lived alone and mom and dad were never home, he started making imaginary friends for himself. Little did his very busy parents realize that Charlie's imaginary friends were actually visible to others besides Charlie. As Charlie got older, the imaginary friends became more real to him than his own self image. As he faded away, his images began being mistaken for real people. Now Charlie lives as a shadow, pretending to be other people to complicate their lives while he hides in the most inaccessible places watching his very own shadowplay, a spectator to other lives. Recently, Charlie has started masquerading as a supervillain, so he can embarass superheroes and other supervillains, too. The fun has really only just begun!

Hope you like it!

Matt "Typing-his-pudgy-fingers-off" Frisbee

By popular demand...

Shadowplay

Powers

Cost Item

35 Elemental Control: Illusionary Powers (35-pt. Reserve)

43-a Invisibility to Sight & Mental Groups with No Fringe; 0 END,

Persistent (+1); Always On (-1/2) [0] (The Shadowplayer is never

seen.)

43-b Images to Sight, Hearing & Smell/Taste Groups with -4 to PER;

1" Radius; 0 END (+1/2) [0] (The puppet is always the center of

attention.)

39-c Telekinesis (STR 18) with Fine Manipulation; AE 1 hex (+1/2);

0 END (+1/2) [0] (The Shadow Magic that brings the puppet to life.)

10 PHY: He's always invisible (kinda like being blind, but while you can

see where you're going, you can't see your hands or feet)

(Frequently, Slightly)

15 Susceptable to having his true nature discovered (it shatters the

illusion he lives in) (Uncommon, 3d6 Stun, Instant)

Hope you like it!

Okay, I have a few questions, since I can be a nitpicker at times.

1) Why does Invisibility not have the Inherent advantage? Do you house rule it unnecessary, or can he be seen if knocked out? Or was it just forgotten about?

2) Why does Images have a -4 PER? I'm guessing that's for people to not see through it; is that correct? (It's been about 10 years since I've been in a game with someone who's used that power.)

3) How big of a disad is the Phys Lim of Invisibility? Was it just that he couldn't see himself, or did this come into play with penalized DEX rolls?

4) Susceptability: If a group of people discover his true self, either all at once or relatively close together (all in the same turn), does he take the STUN for each person that discovers this, or just once? (If each person, it seems valid, to me.)

Having asked these pesky questions, let me say this looks very intriguing and I may have to use this model myself. :sneaky: Thank you for posting it!

Hi Kirby (and congratulations on becoming a parent),

Responding to your (hopefully) good-natured nitpicking:

1) This guy is always invisible, whether he is using the other powers or not. When he sleeps, however, he can't sustain the images, though he still remains invisible. As for his mental invisibility, this was necessary to keep certain characters of the hero group from finding out the whole thing is a sham too soon. Maybe I'm misreading the question?

2) Your basic assumption on this point is correct. This was done primarily to keep certain members of the hero group I'm running right now from seeing through the "disguise" too quickly.

3) It is my feeling that somebody who is always invisible would earn the disadvantage just because it would interfere with his or her life enough for it to be an issue. It is my opinion that an invisible person is also invisible to himself or herself, unless he or she has an enhanced sense which would compensate for it. (Shadowplay does not. He also has a few other psychological issues that would also tend to play this up).

4) The way I interpret Susceptability (instant) is that it can only be applied once per phase. So if multiple people discover him at the same time, he takes a single 3d6. If people discover him in seperate scenes, then each discovery is 3d6. The analogy I use is someone who is embarassed -- aren't you more embarassed by the first person who discovers you than a whole crowd (which more along the lines of humiliation)? Just my thought, at any rate. :)

Thanks for your input -- I think I'll ask Mr. Long about being able to do some sort of Mental Ventriloquism where your thoughts would seem to come from somewhere else...

Matt "Always-tweaking-the-villains" Frisbee