Super Prisons without Super Tech

tinman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bblackmoor

Re: Super Prisons without Super Tech

This is one of the reasons I very much prefer Iron Age over Four Color. It allows a much broader range of interesting topics to be addressed.

I agree, in general, but there is a limit to how grim I want my entertainment to be. I admit I'm a bit more squeamish now than when I was younger.

And I hope I made clear that my mind-wiping character did not ever "feel good" about doing so. I would have some grave doubts about the sanity of anyone who would feel good about that: at the very least, it's not a heroic thing to do. But as the saying goes, "With great power...", and she took her responsibilities very seriously. (A little too seriously: that's one of the reasons I retired her.)

I agree' date=' in general, but there is a limit to how grim I want my entertainment to be. I admit I'm a bit more squeamish now than when I was younger. [/quote']

Hmm, contrary to many people's misconceptions about Iron Age, the greater amount of violence is not its main appeal as far as I'm concerned. Its striving for a more mature coverage of topics like sex, morality, psychology, and society, and at least the attempt for greater realism on the nature of superpowers and their impact on people and society. Though I will not deny that Hollywood-like violence holds a primal, deeply-satisfying appeal all its own. Apart from the crappy Silver-Age silliness like gorillas and super-pets, Four-Color's upholding of conservative values and its subservience to the socio-economic status quo are what I find most offensive about it (though I will gladly recognize that *bad* Iron Age only substitutes Four-Color cliches with its own, even if the latter happen to be more cuddling to my own sensibilities).

And I hope I made clear that my mind-wiping character did not ever "feel good" about doing so. I would have some grave doubts about the sanity of anyone who would feel good about that: at the very least, it's not a heroic thing to do. But as the saying goes, "With great power...", and she took her responsibilities very seriously. (A little too seriously: that's one of the reasons I retired her.)

All good, even though then I don't understand why, mind-wiping for mind-wiping, she didn't settle for brainwashing the baddies into law-abiding superheroes instead of turning them into drooling zombies. Loathsome as brainwashing is, it is still far more humane than lobotomy.

Guest bblackmoor

Apart from the crappy Silver-Age silliness like gorillas and super-pets...

Heh heh. Yeah, I hate that crap. :)

However, check out this thread.

All good' date=' even though then I don't understand why, mind-wiping for mind-wiping, she didn't settle for brainwashing the baddies into law-abiding superheroes instead of turning them into drooling zombies.[/quote']

She found one alternative more repugnant than the other.