Followers as DNPCs

Re: Followers as DNPCs

Don't see an issue with it, nothing says a Follower can't fall under DNPC rules either. Or over time if they gain experience the DNPC Disad lessens a bit, though I'm sure there will always be a certain protective instinct in the knight, probably eventually switching the DNPC Disad into a Psychological: This is my DNPC Disad.

Re: Followers as DNPCs

While it might be appropriate in some situations, the particular case in question sounds to me as if it may be handlable simply with DNPC alone. The squire is there. You have to worry about his getting attacked or injured. What small benefit he may offer you is offset immensely by the fact that you have to worry about protecting him or getting him the hell out of the way of brigands and evil necromancers.

That he is there might be of some very small incidental effect (maybe he can even pick up a sword now and then), but mostly it just serves as a plot element to keep him in harms way, as it were. As your GM I likely wouldn't make you put any points in Follower for this; I'm a lot happier in this situation, in fact, than if you have some damsel in some tower somewhere that I have to work into the plot and somehow get in trouble in some way that the PC is aware of and able to handle without traveling half-way across a continent or something.

I agree that, over time, you may be able to buy off the DNPC Disadvantage. Once it is paid for (or close), the squire has become useful and may be purchasable as a Follower. That's how I would handle it. I wouldn't really see a problem with anyone else deciding to handle it differently though.