No Levels for Familiarities

Metaphysician

Re: No Levels for Familiarities

Some good ideas here...

Just thought I'd throw this in real quick.

In a couple of my campaigns, I've played with the idea of Improved Familiarities as the 2 point midpoint between a 1 point fam and a 3 point skill. for the extra point, you still only get an 8 or less, but you can add skill levels to it. Worked out fairly well.

Hmmm. I suppose the other approach is you just scrap familiarities.

Then the minimum spend is 2 points for an 11- you CAN add skill levels to, or 3 points for 9+CHAR/5 (ditto).

Problem solved* :)

* well, if not solved, then fatally distracted :eg:

Well, I'd say that the correct approach is to treat skills as granting certain bennefits even without a roll according to the skill level and needs of the story, and to allow the modifiers to the roll already built into the rules when you as the GM really feel that a roll is needed. "Problem" actually solved. :)

Well' date=' I'd say that the correct approach is to treat skills as granting certain bennefits even without a roll according to the skill level and needs of the story, and to allow the modifiers to the roll already built into the rules when you as the GM really feel that a roll is needed. "Problem" actually solved. :)[/quote']

Vice-versa, you can also declare some things impossible - the 8/less kid who happens to be an electronics whiz simply cannot undo the bomb, for instance. In a REALISTIC game, that's okay. And I believe the rules support naysaying a task as impossible.