Mental combat using combat mechanics

Phil

I know I'm going to regret this, because I'm posting an idea before I've taken the time to fully think it through, but at least this way I'm hoping I can get the benefit of others discussing the pitfalls before I waste too much time!

Purpose & Benefit

My proposal is to replace the existing EGO+X mechanic with the Hit/DEF/Damage mechanic. I believe the chief benefit to this is reduction in range of mechanics and consistency of approach. It also more effectively replicates someone's mental defences gradually being broken down. Similarly, this allows mental powers based on CON to replicate weakened characters being more vulnerable to toxins.

Background

I dislike the range of mechanics available in HERO. I dont want to debate this, but it's the reason for this proposal. I actually think the existing mechanic works reasonably well, but believe it's worth at least exploring this alternative model. After all, if the HERO toolkit isnt about options I dont know what is!

Proposal

I want to replicate the existing to-hit and damage mechanic for all character interactions, physical, mental and social.

Physical combat at the moment features:

to hit - based on comparison of DEX values

damage - based on d6 per 5 STR (or an equivalent mechanic)

resistance - based on PD/ED

effect - reduction in STUN; stunned if effect >CON; incapacitated if STUN<0

recovery - STUN recovers every round; option to 'take a breather'.

To replicate this I would need to introduce two new characteristics:

Mental Defence (sort of new!)

Resolve - mental equivalent of STUN (figured, perhaps from EGO+PRE/2+INT/2?)

EGO vs. EGO combat, damage based on power, resistance based on mental defence.

Effect deducted from Resolve

- if Resolve reduced to 0, character is incapacitated. Usually this will mean either entirely Mind Controlled or entirely convinced by an Illusion or resistance to telepathy is completely overcome.

- if Effect >EGO then equivalent of stunned. Reduced level effect, e.g. current EGO+20 level?

- any other positive effect has reduced level effect, as per existing EGO+10 level.

Recovery based on normal REC.

Issues

Uncomfortable using EGO so much - EGO for Dex, EGO for DEF, EGO for CON, plus key role in calculating Resolve. Could this be done a different way using the existing characteristics?

Should Recovery be based on a different characteristic? If so, will this be EGO based again!?

Social interactions

I would actually like to extend this system, and also use it for all social interactions. A Presence attack, a Seduction attempt and a Mind Control are all doing the same thing - trying to directly influence the actions an opponent is taking. The only difference with Mind Control is the extra subtlety that using a power affords. Hence Seduction, Persuasion and Intimidate are all PRE attacks, thus requiring To Hit and resistance as above. (Non-intimidatory Presence attacks suffering significant To Hit penalties for in-combat use however).

However, while I like the gradual breaking down of willpower, I'm not sure it should apply across the board. Is a sustained attempt to seduce someone then going to make them more succeptible to intimidation? This complicates further when Bob can take advantage of Charlie's persistent but ultimately unsuccessful attempt to Seduce Anna (although may be manageable in part by To Hit penalties on subsequent attempts. Also opens the possibility of Anna mentally 'dodging'!).

Lots of thoughts down here and lots of issues. Perhaps this is a good time to open it up to the floor...

Re: Mental combat using combat mechanics

Interesting stuff, great ideas.

However, I'm surprised you want to model Mental on Physical; I would think you'd want to model Mental on Energy, and that would still be consistent. To me, the principles are far more in common on the Energy plane than the Physical plane. Now, if you wanted to boil EVERYTHING (including Energy, I mean) down to Physical type mechanics, okay, I see that, and you gain that consistency you seek.

Re Social Interactions, I'd think you'd almost have to track damage per "attacker", which gets complicated and strays from your concept, surely. Maybe it's simpler...maybe you think in terms of current top-of-mind mental state, so a person's "damage" all relates to what they are motivated to do at a given moment. To cause damage towards a particular end that's not the same as their current one, you have to undo the damage they received...? :confused:

Good luck in any case!

Re: Mental combat using combat mechanics

"You can't Ego Attack me' date=' I've got a Mental Block!"[/quote']

Hmm, facetious comment that actually has some interesting possibilities. Would definitely like the option of using all of the HtH maneuevers equally in Mental and Social combat. Would need mental sense (cant block an attack you cant detect) and presumably a mental power to block with. On the other hand, social interactions are automatically visible and block is actually a highly appropriate maneuver for this ("Speak to the hand....")

Interesting.... Now I've got something extra to think about while I'm on my communication skills training course half-way up Mount Snowdon.... :rolleyes: