There is an Adventure in here somewhere

Publius

I debated where to place this, it could go in any of the genre areas really (except maybe Star Hero... okay... maybe there too) but this is the kind of stuff that my players do in the course of an adventure. I can see a Lovercraftian theme here.

Man Breaks Display Case to Read Rare Book

By The Associated Press

Sun Oct 2, 7:34 AM

MADISON, Wis. - A man smashed a display case at the Wisconsin Historical Society to steal a Revolutionary War-era book worth $5,000, authorities say.

Matthew Brooke, 26, was charged Friday with felony theft of library materials and criminal damage to property. He went to the Historical Society on Thursday, according to a criminal complaint, and smashed the window on a second-floor antique display case with his elbow. He allegedly swiped the "Pennsylvania Evening Post" from inside the case.

The book is a collection of the newspaper's issues dating from January to April 1777.

A police officer found the book stuck in the waistband of Brooke's pants, the complaint said. Brooke told detectives he took the book because he wanted to read a story on page 106 about a historical figure named William Hill.

Re: There is an Adventure in here somewhere

I debated where to place this, it could go in any of the genre areas really (except maybe Star Hero... okay... maybe there too) but this is the kind of stuff that my players do in the course of an adventure. I can see a Lovercraftian theme here.

Man Breaks Display Case to Read Rare Book

By The Associated Press

Sun Oct 2, 7:34 AM

MADISON, Wis. - A man smashed a display case at the Wisconsin Historical Society to steal a Revolutionary War-era book worth $5,000, authorities say.

Matthew Brooke, 26, was charged Friday with felony theft of library materials and criminal damage to property. He went to the Historical Society on Thursday, according to a criminal complaint, and smashed the window on a second-floor antique display case with his elbow. He allegedly swiped the "Pennsylvania Evening Post" from inside the case.

The book is a collection of the newspaper's issues dating from January to April 1777.

A police officer found the book stuck in the waistband of Brooke's pants, the complaint said. Brooke told detectives he took the book because he wanted to read a story on page 106 about a historical figure named William Hill.

Hmmm. Well, although I have yet to see the film, the first adventure seed

that comes to mind is less Lovcraftian and more in the vein of what I know

(admittedly a limited amount) of the movie "National Treasure". Nicholas

Cage and his efforts to track down, using clues on the dollar bill as well as

a map on the back of the Declaration Of Independance, a massive treasure

hidden by the (as far as I know) Masonic Elders/Knights Templar/etc who

reputedly had a hand in the founding of the US.

Just a first blush thought.....But I agree, there's an adventure (or three)

within that news item. :thumbup:

-Carl-

Re: There is an Adventure in here somewhere

Perhaps the article in the book contains a clue to what happened to a couple of the first colonies that disappeared just after the discovery of the New World (Jonestown? Capestown?). This could be a clue to the entrance to the Inner World / Land Below / Lands of Mystery...

Jak