N3

Killer Shrike

Here's a character I made for a PBEM that I ended up not participating in that I just stumbled across again, and thought Id share:

http://www.killershrike.com/MiscCharacters/N3.html

And yes I know Tesla wasnt really murdered -- it was an aspect of the setting that I wanted to tap into...but whose to say he wasnt really?

Re: N3

Really cool!

I like his background story and he seems like a really fun and tight character design. This character is fun out of combat (and I like that!), and tactically challenging in combat. Not for beginning players! He would be really rewarding to play him well. I'm sad you never got to play him.

From a point-whoring perspective, I love the +20 INT construct. He gains +4 to all his (considerable) INT-based skills. I really dislike the standard '5 cp for +1 to Intelligence based skills' thing. I mean, for 5 cp, I can bump up my INT! Talk about temptation to destroy a character concept...

I also like the Overall levels coupled with lots of skills and Find Weakness. I've done the same thing, it's really effective.

[any chance of stealing the .HDC file?]

Not a bad concept, KS, but 4d6 Unluck?!

Good gravy, just imagine the chaos if N-cubed is doing a lab experiement and those dice roll just so...

Reminds me of D&D wizard who has a low DEX score: "Vailen the Clumsy is casting fireball! Arack-uh-nacky-sacky-oops!"

:) Pretty cool otherwise, though. Have a great day.

Matt "Duck-and-cover" Frisbee

Not a bad concept' date=' KS, but [i']4d6 Unluck?![/i]

Good gravy, just imagine the chaos if N-cubed is doing a lab experiement and those dice roll just so...

Reminds me of D&D wizard who has a low DEX score: "Vailen the Clumsy is casting fireball! Arack-uh-nacky-sacky-oops!"

:) Pretty cool otherwise, though. Have a great day.

Matt "Duck-and-cover" Frisbee

I like Unluck as a Disadvantage -- it gives characters opportunities to be heroic. Afterall, overcoming obstacles is a large part of being a hero, and Unluck ensures that even routine tasks can become exciting and challenging.

I think that the main problem with Unluck is that too many GM's take it as a blank check to be adversarial a$$holes rather than use it in the spirit it is intended.

I look at Spiderman as the classic example of a character with 5d6 Unluck*, and gauge it based on the Spidey scale -- people whose lifes are as topsy turvy as poor Peter Parker's get the full 5d6, and so on down the graduated scale.

Used correctly, Unluck is the ultimate Disadvantage for encouraging cooperative storytelling between a GM and a player. It challenges the GM to adapt circumstances as opportunities for Unluck occur, and it challenges the player to step up their game to adapt and overcome as well. In game it generates interesting encounters that become part of the tapestry of the story and make for fun retellings out of the game as the years go by.

*In fact, many Marvel characters have it to some degree.