Getting the Turn to seem like 12 seconds

Mr. Negative

OK, I've searched a lot of the old threads, but most of the discussion on SPD has been in tinkering/modifying/abandoning the SPD chart as a whole.

I like the Speed Chart, and it hasn't been a problem to get players to think outside of the "act on my DEX at my SPD" box (probably by having even the most basic opponents hold actions, so that everyone thinks of doing it). The segmented and predictable nature of HERO actions isn't what's bothering me.

What is bothering me, as someone from a GURPS background, is the idea of normal Heroes (usually Fantasy HERO) having 2-4 attacks/actions in 12 seconds. I know that there are Sweeps and Rapid Attacks, and the like, but it still bothers me that the normals out there can basically do TWO things in twelve seconds.

GURPS does have a problem with whirlwind fighting (I attack you every single second until you are dead--HAH!), but I've always dealt with that using the "Lulls" rules (where combat exchanges last 2d6/d6 seconds, with lulls between exchanges, and the ability to try to force/break off combat).

However, HERO handles faster characters and multiple attacks much more elegantly than GURPS. I don't want to replace SPD with "I get two actions, you get one". However, I do want to get either more actions into 12 seconds, or the same actions into less seconds.

My first thought was:

Boost basic speed to 6 (DX/10+5), and divide movement distance by 3 (that means you move in feet, not hexes (or 2 yard intervals). Perhaps, instead, basic MOVE could be lowered, and the cost to increase movement itself increased.

In support of this idea: Normals get one "action" every two seconds, but don't move any faster. As you are spending a lot more END each turn, it will encourage you to occasionally rest in combat (as you aren't going to get it all back on your post 12), so you don't just "fight/fight/fight". SPD Draining attacks become a bit more effective, and attractive, for Fantasy Mages and the like. Slow opponents, like Golems, zombies, etc can now be significantly slower than the Heroes and villagers (instead of being SPD 1 or 2, just like the peasants).

However, as I haven't had the opportunity to run much HERO to test this, I'm sure that I'm not thinking through the "bad consequences" too clearly.

I know that this will impact Move by/Through damage adversely. I know that having movement be in feet rather than yards (or hexes, more accurately) will be a bit clunky and require some calculator work.

I'm looking for help identifying the problems, solving the problems, or even an alternative idea that doesn't throw out the Speed Chart, but allows you to get more actions in 12 seconds. There have been a lot of posts in various places that suggest "not thinking" about the Turn as 12 seconds, but as "comic panels". However, the fact remains, that within the system, the Turn IS 12 seconds long, and that links up to a great many other aspects of the system.

Re: Getting the Turn to seem like 12 seconds

Rather than fiddle with the speed chart and movement and whatnot, why not just arbitrarily decree that a 12-Segment Round only takes 6 seconds? Any problems this raises with movement rates can be dismissed by the "lulls" rule. Action happens in blindingly quick increments, separated by lulls as everyone maneuvers for advantage, takes a breather, assesses the tactical situation, whatever. Then they crash together like colliding buzzsaws again.

This isn't aimed specifically at you, but I see a lot of questions about mechanics in HERO system that seem to assume that everything must be handled by a set game mechanic. You can always resort to GM fiat to solve a lot of issues without having to rewrite the rules.

Re: Getting the Turn to seem like 12 seconds

Rather than fiddle with the speed chart and movement and whatnot, why not just arbitrarily decree that a 12-Segment Round only takes 6 seconds? Any problems this raises with movement rates can be dismissed by the "lulls" rule. Action happens in blindingly quick increments, separated by lulls as everyone maneuvers for advantage, takes a breather, assesses the tactical situation, whatever. Then they crash together like colliding buzzsaws again.

This isn't aimed specifically at you, but I see a lot of questions about mechanics in HERO system that seem to assume that everything must be handled by a set game mechanic. You can always resort to GM fiat to solve a lot of issues without having to rewrite the rules.

I like his idea more, but I was also going to sugest you double the expected speed scores of characters. So a normal would have a 4 speed and a fast thief would have a 8.