money vs points

adidamps2

:help: ok..im new to champions and hero system..but my question is whats the point of money if you have to buy everything with points? and how does money fit into a super world?

ie. like batman..how would you build him..hes a mill..er billio..umm really rich right...so all his "wonderful toys" are bought with money, but in champions you would buy it all with points right????

i just want to get a grasp on the differnce between money and points.

also: if your super vilion creates a super item and heros destroy it..does that SV lose those points??? or does he keep the points but loses the item???

i know these may seem trivial..but when your use to gaming in D&D and shadow run this is a lil differnt over here in hero....

and if these answers are in the rules book, there not clearly stated to me:confused: ..so i would appreciate all the help you guys can throw at me..

Re: money vs points

:help: ok..im new to champions and hero system..but my question is whats the point of money if you have to buy everything with points? and how does money fit into a super world?

ie. like batman..how would you build him..hes a mill..er billio..umm really rich right...so all his "wonderful toys" are bought with money, but in champions you would buy it all with points right????

i just want to get a grasp on the differnce between money and points.

also: if your super vilion creates a super item and heros destroy it..does that SV lose those points??? or does he keep the points but loses the item???

i know these may seem trivial..but when your use to gaming in D&D and shadow run this is a lil differnt over here in hero....

and if these answers are in the rules book, there not clearly stated to me:confused: ..so i would appreciate all the help you guys can through at me..

In a Champions game money can serve as a justification for having "all of those cool toys" that Batman has. Yes, you had to pay points for them, but a well developed character has background traits to help explain where his powers came from. Think of it as "money as a special effect".

It's also good for one-shot things where points don't help (ie. the entire team needs to fly to Brazil in their secret IDs - Batman pays the airfare). It's as useful as your creativity (and GM) will allow.

ahhh..ok i think i get it? so it to justify some things (powers or gadgets for powers) and still has some real world uses, like the flight you used for example..but you couldn't use it buy say....a M-16..right..also what about the second part of my question...poimts and the loss of an item you created with points??? i'll still use batman here...its obviuse he doesnt have an endless supply of character points, so if batman's batmobile is destroyed, could he repurchase it with his "money" or does he have to save up points and recreate it that way??

I'm sure others can give you a more through answer but the general idea is that using points makes different characters equivalent to each other for the same point cost.

The points that are spent on equipment are for items that the character will always have with him. That is not to say they cannot be taken away or broken but they can always be replaced. How easy it is to replace is dependent on how the item was defined. The only way the points can be lost is of the Independent limitation is bought for it.

If the character has points spent on wealth then this allows the purchase of one-off items or services. For instance if the character needs to travel very fast somewhere then he can rent a jet to take him there because he has the money to do so. He would not have to spend points on the jet unless he used it multiple times so would be considered part of his character to always have a jet around.

There are other advantages to having access to wealth that I am sure you could think. As always it comes down to the GM's decision on what you can do with it.

Having wealth can also be used to explain how your character can be fighting crime for days or weeks at a time and never showing up for a job. If you're independently wealthy, you live off your investments/inheritance/etc and don't have to worry about how you pay for the basics of living.

Kelcyron

ok ok...so money in champions is more of a ROLEPLAYING device than anything else...although its not neccesary as far as "buying" stuff, it helps flesh out characters and explain other certain aspects of the game...so i shouldn't think so literal of it...so even though my SV can buy everything he needs with points he still needs "money" to fund his hench men and run his super secret hidden base. am i at least on the right track here...lol also i greatly appreciate the timely answering here..i think of all the forum i've visted and been a member of this has to be the most active and fasting reponding forum i have ever seen..so thanks a lot guys...

ok ok...so money in champions is more of a ROLEPLAYING device than anything else...although its not neccesary as far as "buying" stuff' date=' it helps flesh out characters and explain other certain aspects of the game...so i shouldn't think so literal of it...so even though my SV can buy everything he needs with points he still needs "money" to fund his hench men and run his super secret hidden base. am i at least on the right track here...lol also i greatly appreciate the timely answering here..i think of all the forum i've visted and been a member of this has to be the most active and fasting reponding forum i have ever seen..so thanks a lot guys...[/quote']

You are definitely on the right track here. :) In Champions money is primarily for roleplaying purposes, but there is some leeway regarding what the Game Master can actually allow player characters to purchase with it. For example, some GMs may allow PCs to have all the mundane items that could readily be purchased by anyone - flashlights, cellphones, perhaps normal cars and laptop computers - without having to pay points for them, if they're going to be used occasionally or for non-adventuring purposes. Some may even allow them real-world firearms and the like for something like a one-time mission. And there's certainly no magic preventing them from picking up something that an opponent has dropped and using it against him, if the PC doesn't plan to keep it.

However, anything with in-game use that a superhero would be using regularly and expect to always have with him while adventuring should be payed for with points: gadgets, guns, vehicles, whatever. Moreover, anything unique the hero possesses which can't be obtained by most other people, such as mystic artifacts or "supertech," or specially-equipped bases, should also be paid for with points.

Note that this applies primarily to the superheroic genre; in most "heroic-level" games characters don't use points to buy any of their equipment, and the GM decides what's available to them and how much money they'd require to obtain it, if any. This is to balance the point expenditures for innate powers that superheroes can have. After all, if a hero paid points for the ability to hear radio broadcasts as an innate ability, letting another hero just carry a radio around for free all the time is a little unfair. ;)

I hope that was clear. If not feel free to post followup questions. :)

One thing to add concerning weapons and equipment. A character will automatically know how to use a weapon or piece equipment that he has paid points for. If he hasn't paid points then he needs to have paid the points for an appropriate familiarity otherwise he will be at a penalty.

So in the situation that wealth has been used to get hold of gun you will need the appropriate weapon familiarity to be able to use it effectively. The same applies to vehicles. This won't just apply to bought items but also to found items, say you have knocked out a guard and taken his gun, so it is worth remembering.