Social Lim: Lower-Class?

Koshka

Outrage!

Conceal ones lower class origins?

(engage irony mode)

Impossible!

Leaving aside such impossibilities as Eliza Doolittle, any such attempt by the lower orders would be doomed to failure.

The coarse streak of the working class would show through instantly like manure beneath a rosebush!

(disengage irony mode)

With a rather benign class system like 20th century England I would think an advantage for belonging to the upper class would be more appropriate, the upper classes had some advantages compared to lower classes but not really any additional rights (except those unofficial ones money can buy, like good lawyers). I'd use lower class as a disadvantage for situations where the lower classes actually have less legal status (I love my peasants, PULL.... Bam, oooh a little low) or serious restrictions on their day to day rights.

Woo-hoo! Another excuse to talk about the Regency!

I would work it as a perk, but if the person is REALLY lower class (not only doesn't know which fork to use, but uses his fingers instead) then I think a social disad is in order. :)

Anyway, here are some of the perks I worked up for a game set during Hanoverian England:

http://www.mactyre.net/archives/regency/newcharacters.html

-Shelley

Thanks for the link, Shelley!

The character in question is Cockney, so on consideration of the other posts in this thread he's probably not low-class enough for a social limitation -- I'll give him a DF for the accent and leave it at that.

Now, if I ever figure out India's caste system well enough to write a character who's part of it ....

In the Space: 1889 system, there is a 6-level Social Status progression. Here is a description and my conversion notes.

1 - Lower Class (usually rural poor). 10-pt Social Lim: frequent, slight. 10-pt Destitute.

2 - Working Class (usually urban). 5-pt SocLim: infrequent, slight. 5-pt Poor.

3 - Middle Class

4 - Gentry. More status than Middle Class, but less money (land rich, cash poor). 1-pt Perk: Gentry.

5 - Wealthy Gentry. 2-3-pt Perk: Lower Nobility. Perk: Well-off.

6 - Aristocracy. 5-pt Perk: Aristocracy. Perk: Wealthy.