The World's Greatest Superteam!

assault

In a couple of threads over the last six months I've suggested that the world's greatest superteam would be composed of: a dog, a monkey, a robot and a small boy, plus a guy to lead them.

At last, it is time to design them.

Here are some initial descriptions. I've included a couple of their allies at the end.

Feedback and suggestions are actively solicited.

Boomerang

Major Abilities: Natural leader. Highly trained athlete and martial artist. Master of the Boomerang.

Origin: Australian Ninja.

Boomer

Major Abilities: Natural leader. Highly trained athlete and martial artist. Highly skilled with the Boomerang.

Origin: Sidekick of Boomerang.

Muffin

Major Abilities: Hyper-intelligent Dog. Skilled detective.

Origin: Experimental subject.

Professor Pan

Major Abilities: Hyper-intelligent Chimpanzee. Scientist.

Origin: Experimental subject.

Mr Robot

Major Abilities: Super-strength. Resistant to damage.

Origin: Constructed.

Allies.

Boomer has also been known to work together with another couple of young supers, forming an informal group usually referred to as the Trio of Terrific Teens.

The other members are:

Wonder Boy

Major Abilities: Super-strength. Almost invulnerable. Able to fly.

Origin: Rocketed to Earth from the planet Neonia.

Possum

Major Abilities: Able to assume the form of a small arboreal marsupial. Wonder Boy's girlfriend.

Origin: Mutant.

(Possum was inspired by the character from Sky High who could turn into a purple guinea pig).

Re: The World's Greatest Superteam!

Interesting concept here -- two silly questions, if I may:

1) Is this group a refugee from one of those example dimensions they cooked up in Champions in 3-D?

2) What general shape or design concept is the robot and did Professor Pan build it?

:) Thanks for the fun -- I shall rep thee presently!

Matt "Playing-the-fringes" Frisbee

P.S. Where's Toowoomba?

1) Is this group a refugee from one of those example dimensions they cooked up in Champions in 3-D?

It could be, if you wanted it! (Hmm, which one...)

In fact, alas, it's a result of my own silliness.

Typically, other things have attracted my butterfly-like attention so I haven't really followed up on this project.

2) What general shape or design concept is the robot and did Professor Pan build it?

Clunky humanoid, or perhaps it looks a lot like the 1st/2nd Edition version of Mechanon.

My original idea was for it to be something like this character:

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/a/archie.htm

I'm not entirely sure who build it. I considered the possibility that it was built by aliens, but some of my subsequent mad ideas pretty much require a human, or at least terrestrial, creator.

For what it's worth, my original idea was for the team to be composed of homages to the following characters:

Batman and Robin (Superfriends versions!).

Detective Chimp (see: http://www.toonopedia.com/chimp.htm )

Rex the Wonder Dog (http://www.toonopedia.com/rex.htm )

plus Robot Archie, of course.

I also considered adding a few Scooby Doo influences.

Unfortunately, filing off the serial numbers has turned out to be a little harder than I thought. Or rather, more like hard work.

P.S. Where's Toowoomba?

About 80 miles/130 kms inland from Brisbane. About 90,000 people, and no shops stocking Hero Games products. :(

Wonderfully wacky and yet potentially troublesome -- I like the concept! Of course, you realize that their nemeses are begging to be created as well -- and most people do comedy so much better than me...

Oh, well. I'll stick to creating the dark, gritty stuff and keep on enjoying the fluff! :)

Thanks for the information -- oh, and according to the websites I've checked, I'd say that Toowoomba would be a nice place to visit, at least.

Matt

Obviously, this thread is progressing according to my energy and inspiration, but here is a further update...

I've dropped Possum. I like the character, but there are too many animal characters.

Mr Robot is now going to be named Mechanoid Mike.

New supporting characters:

Professor Phineas Plott: Inventor of the Plott Device. His exact role in the setting will be decided later.

Doctor Max McGuffin: Scientist. Amongst other things, his work on Trans-Dimensional Physics helped make the Broome Closet a reality.

Margaret Susan McGuffin: Daughter of the above. Romantic interest for Boomerang. Investigative reporter of the Lois Lane ilk.

Plus:

More details on Muffin!

Muffin is a Great Dane whose spirit was awakened by his former owner's* experiments in Shamanism. Initially, he was a member of a team of young mystical investigators. After his key role in cracking the Case of the False Takofanes**, he was invited to join The World's Greatest Superteam as its resident expert in the supernatural.

* His owner will be further defined later, but I hope the Scooby Doo influence is obvious.

** He'd have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those meddling kids!

Finally:

To get maximum value out of this thread, check out the following free article from Digital Hero:

http://www.herogames.com/digitalHero/Samples/dh11superfriends.htm

More nonsense:

This week, Professor Pan goes out the window, and is replaced by:

Bleep, the Blue Flying Space Monkey.

Bleep's species is the less intelligent of the two sentient species native to the planet Zorrex (name subject to change). His species are commonly used as servants by the nobility of the more advanced species. Bleep originally worked for a powerful sorceress named Zaina, but fled after growing tired of her fickleness and cruelty. His greatest fear is that she will turn up to reclaim him.

Bleep possesses the normal attributes of his species: the ability to fly, plus a limited ability to shapeshift. This allows him to disguise himself as either a normal terrestrial monkey or a champanzee, and to vary his size within certain limits.

His function in the group is that of scouting, stealth and infilitration expert. His combat effectiveness is rather limited, although he is surprisingly strong and has surprisingly large fangs for his size. (I don't think he knows Monkey Kung Fu. :) )

He is the only member of the World's Greatest Superteam who can fly, which is actually a bit of a problem. Hmm.

His species traditionally dwell in villages carved out of the sides of mesas and similar rocky outcrops, but I promised myself I would refrain from making jokes about flying butte monkeys.