Quick rules Questions ...

CrosshairCollie

I know, I should ask Steve, but I figure he's probably answered these a dozen times or more. :)

1. If a character with a 40 STR has 4d6 Hand-to-Hand attack with an Advantage that isn't also on his STR. Am I reading things right that he can do 8d6 damage (with Advantage), using 20 of his STR to match the 4d6 HA?

2. In HD2, Mind Link lets you select 'Multiple Minds (x2)' even if the power says 'one specific mind'. Am I correct in interpretting this as meaning 'multiple specific minds' (i.e. 'These specific characters'), where 'group of minds' means things like Any Animal? I know this one's kind of confusing ...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Quick rules Questions ...

I know, I should ask Steve, but I figure he's probably answered these a dozen times or more. :)

1. If a character with a 40 STR has 4d6 Hand-to-Hand attack with an Advantage that isn't also on his STR. Am I reading things right that he can do 8d6 damage (with Advantage), using 20 of his STR to match the 4d6 HA?

Almost, but not quite. Depending on the value of the Advantage, the amount of STR you would have to use varies. Assuming +3/4 in Advantages, you would have to use 20*1.75 = 35 AP worth of STR, or 35 STR. In other words, the STR must be prorated (I think I'm using that word right).

2. In HD2, Mind Link lets you select 'Multiple Minds (x2)' even if the power says 'one specific mind'. Am I correct in interpretting this as meaning 'multiple specific minds' (i.e. 'These specific characters'), where 'group of minds' means things like Any Animal? I know this one's kind of confusing ...

Thanks in advance.

That makes the most sense to me, though it could be a simple goof.

Oh, and no problem. Happy to help.

1. If a character with a 40 STR has 4d6 Hand-to-Hand attack with an Advantage that isn't also on his STR. Am I reading things right that he can do 8d6 damage (with Advantage)' date=' using 20 of his STR to match the 4d6 HA?[/quote']

From my reading of page 406 in 5ER, Yes. That is exactly how it would work.

2. In HD2, Mind Link lets you select 'Multiple Minds (x2)' even if the power says 'one specific mind'. Am I correct in interpretting this as meaning 'multiple specific minds' (i.e. 'These specific characters'), where 'group of minds' means things like Any Animal?

As I understand it that should work. It would be no different that buying the same 5 point power two seperate times. One of the optional rules allows a character to buy a duplicate of a gadget or power for 5 points, and to double the number or items or identical powers for each additional 5 points. Since this seems to follow the same logic, it seems right.

Almost' date=' but not quite. Depending on the value of the Advantage, the amount of STR you would have to use varies. Assuming +3/4 in Advantages, you would have to use 20*1.75 = 35 AP worth of STR, or 35 STR. In other words, the STR must be prorated (I think I'm using that word right).[/quote']

No, see 5ER pg408

You can only use the HA Dice if:

1) The character only uses his STR up to the unmodified Active Point Value of the HA

2) The unmodified Active Point value of the HA equals or exceeds the characters STR.

The examples on the same page make it clear that if you have an Advantaged 2D6HA you can only use 10STR (or 2D6) with the HA, otherwise you cannot use the HA.

In short: You can no more than double an Advantaged HA with your STR.

2. In HD2' date=' Mind Link lets you select 'Multiple Minds (x2)' even if the power says 'one specific mind'. Am I correct in interpretting this as meaning 'multiple specific minds' (i.e. 'These specific characters'), where 'group of minds' means things like Any Animal? I know this one's kind of confusing ...[/quote']

Exactly..

Basic Mind Link states you buy the Specific Mind at the time of purchase, you can buy several specific minds, like Your Teammates. So you can't Mind Link to anyone else, just your Teammates.

A Group of Minds means something like "The Andrews Family" if you only buy it at one mind you can link to any memeber of the Andrews Family, one person at a time. The more "minds" you buy the more members of the Andrews Family you can link to at once.

No, see 5ER pg408

You can only use the HA Dice if:

1) The character only uses his STR up to the unmodified Active Point Value of the HA

2) The unmodified Active Point value of the HA equals or exceeds the characters STR.

The examples on the same page make it clear that if you have an Advantaged 2D6HA you can only use 10STR (or 2D6) with the HA, otherwise you cannot use the HA.

In short: You can no more than double an Advantaged HA with your STR.

Well, I knew you couldn't do more than double it. What I meant was that I thought you had to figure your STR as if you had bought the Advantage with the value of STR you had. OK, I'm making no sense, lemme try an example.

You have 40 STR, and you buy an Autofire (5x) 2d6 HA, which is worth 7.5 AP/DC, or 15 AP total. If you wish to add STR to this attack, you

1. can't add more than will double the dice in the base power
  2. have to add a value of STR that has been "prorated" for the value of the power's DC (7.5 pts/DC)

This really means nothing when you have STR to equal or exceed the powers DC; you're going to be able to double it no matter what, though you have to pay END on the actual amount of STR you use. But it's a factor when you don't have enough STR to do the job. Another example.

You have 20 STR, and you buy an Autofire (5x) 4d6 HA, which is worth 7.5 AP/DC, or 30 AP total. Since you have to match the DC value (7.5 AP/DC), you only have enough for 2 DC (20/7.5 = 2 2/3) with some left over.

In other words, I thought you had to consider the modified Active Point total when calculating how many DCs you could add from STR. Granted, I got this idea from how HERO handles weapons, so I may have missed another way elsewhere.

From the way I'm reading the rules ... if you have an Advantaged 4D6 HA and a 15STR, you may make it an overall Advantaged 7D6 HA.

If you have an Advantaged 2D6 HA and 20 STR you make only add up to 10 Active Points of STR (the Unmodified AP of the Advantaged HA) for an Advantaged 4D6 HA - i.e. you can only had 2D6 Worth of STR, not your full 4D6.