Accidental Change and Power Frameworks

Utech

The write up for Accidental Change in 5ER says:

A character with this Disadvantage has at least two forms or identities and sometimes accidentally or involuntarily changes between them.

I'm curious what others would think of the idea of allowing Accidental Change to trigger a predetermined allotment of points in a Multipower or Cosmic Variable Power Pool.

Naturally this predetermined allotment would have to be disadvantageous to be worth any points as a Disadvantage. ;)

Example:

Ganbaru Man has a Multipower Framework containing an EB, FF, Flight, and Flash.

He takes Accidental Change as a Disadvantage and defines it as Accidental Change, all Multipower Reserve points allocated to EB when takes BODY damage, Uncommon Circumstance, Always occurs. The Disadvantage is worth 20 points.

I think this would qualify as a real Disadvantage. After all, Ganbaru Man just took BODY and he probably wants some of those Multipower Reserve points allocated to FF! (Maybe Flight as well... :rolleyes:)

Opinions? Thoughts? Complaints? Complements? Demands? Concerns?

Re: Accidental Change and Power Frameworks

I would allow it' date=' but note that AC also prohibits changing back until the trigger event is removed. Thus, the character in question could not just shift points back around next time his phase comes up.[/quote']

Very true. :)

If, however, the trigger were something like that in the example -- When takes BODY -- then the trigger would be an instant event and the player could reallocate points in the Multipower Reserve on their next phase. Yes? No?

Very true. :)

If, however, the trigger were something like that in the example -- When takes BODY -- then the trigger would be an instant event and the player could reallocate points in the Multipower Reserve on their next phase. Yes? No?

Here, I would consider requiring some period of time before the change could be reversed (whether that change is a change of form or a change of points allocation). An immediate shift/reverse is actually more of a drawback when the character's form changes, since people do know something is up, than a shift of points, when this may be considerably less visible.

Personally I do not think it is effecting enough points to qualify as a 20 pointer disad, although the rules write up does not say how much of the character has to be effected, I would probably rule that if less than a half of the character points or disadvantage points change then it is worth (at best) half points, maybe less. This is difficult to adjudicate though without seeing the whole character.

Also, as has been pointed out, the problem with an instant trigger is that it does not prevent instant change back. In this instance, depending on the other powers of the character I would rule that the change had to be in place for a minimum of a turn or until the BODY is healed, whichever is sooner.

Also I'd make it very clear to the character from the start that this disadvantage WOULD be coming up, especially in respect if enemies that found out about it through observation or research, and if the character's ONLY resistant defences are in the MP, and he doesn't have any other movement powers that can stop a fall, when it does come up it could be deadly, or nearly so. A single pip killing penetrating attack removes access to flight and FF. The player should know that he WILL be taking BODY at some point, unless he is blindingly lucky, and he should agree that he is willing to live* with the consequences of that.

*or die....