Shamans, or "restrictions on spell schools"

zippercomics

Re: Shamans, or "restrictions on spell schools"

It wasn't my fault, you know. They picked me. *sigh* Well, as I'm fond of saying, you really only get two choices. You either answer the call, and people perceive you as mad, or you ignore the call, and become mad. Either way, you're mad. Very Alice in Wonderland, but I have yet to see it not apply. We're not mad. We're just far, far too sane. No equilibrium. We all generally lean too much towards knowing too many things, and having the spatial awareness to grasp them.

Most people find that much distilled truth disconcerting. :eg: And for some reason, I'm impossibly comfortable with it.

yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

I used to be staunchly agnostic until I had SO many "inexplicable" events happen to me that I pretty much gave up and started beleiving.

The only part I occasionaly get annoyed with is the fact that I operate on a different level than 95% of the people I meet, and thusly, while normal folk find me interesting, I'm usually a bit too "odd" for their tastes.

Thats he's mad 'tis true. 'Tis true, 'tis pity, and pity 'tis 'tis true.

I'm not one to incite a religious discussion on a public forum, but you and me, we're here. *does the flipping two finger eye-to-eye bit* It took me years to be able to communicate with most folk, because of the way I think, talk, and the general honesty with which I behave. It's just too much truth for most people, serious. They ask a question, I give an answer.

You stop questioning why you see things a certain way; you become accustomed to simply viewing the world through a different lens. The things you come to believe in are generally counter to the skeptics; I do believe in the Fae or a variation thereupon. I do believe that most people are good, but bad people are ruthless and thus gain power faster. I'm content with the bad people having power because it forces good people to learn and fight back, and remember that until pushed to do otherwise, most folk will stay out of a fight.

See? There I go again. I have got to stop doing that. Point being. Well in. Blessed be, as it goes.

Here's how I have my initial write-up of one of the two Shaman style magics (the other uses KS's Totemic shaman):

That's cool stuff, dude. I really like that, and if you don't mind, I'd like to borrow your descriptive method.

Also, I agree with what's being said here. I like the idea of making the Ogren Shamanism into a presence based skill, which would follow along with what my religious spellcasters would be using anyway (Shamanism and Religious magic, after all, are almost the same thing ... just different translations, right?)

Thanks!

Insofar as discussing game mechanics to represent what you're doing: you've caught on to HERO Lesson One: It's all in the build & special effects. The difference between a function Wizardy system and a functional Divine system can be the INT & EGO score. *shrug* There's so much internal balancing in the system though that I'm pretty convinced at this point it always works; it's just a matter of how it works for you (or me, or mayapuppies.)

As I was saying on his post: you're generally better served "talking out" every NPC and class you have, then assigning abilities based on that, rather than building up a class and wondering why it doesn't mesh or flow. His structure is exactly how I construct every D&D character I have; by giving them a full description, and having linked your brain to the scaled concept, you get a really good idea of who each NPC and class you build is.

I'll be posting my initial Class Builds eventually as well, and I'll have fun watching people tear those apart. :cool: But that's how I learn, so I subject myself to the abuse.

Insofar as discussing game mechanics to represent what you're doing: you've caught on to HERO Lesson One: It's all in the build & special effects. The difference between a function Wizardy system and a functional Divine system can be the INT & EGO score. *shrug* There's so much internal balancing in the system though that I'm pretty convinced at this point it always works; it's just a matter of how it works for you (or me' date=' or [b']mayapuppies[/b].)

As I was saying on his post: you're generally better served "talking out" every NPC and class you have, then assigning abilities based on that, rather than building up a class and wondering why it doesn't mesh or flow. His structure is exactly how I construct every D&D character I have; by giving them a full description, and having linked your brain to the scaled concept, you get a really good idea of who each NPC and class you build is.

I'll be posting my initial Class Builds eventually as well, and I'll have fun watching people tear those apart. :cool: But that's how I learn, so I subject myself to the abuse.

And I intend to do the same - to some degree - once I get information of use up on my website. So far, it's just basic race descriptions and the sort. I'm barely into this project, and already I find myself wanting to deviate from the standards I've already subscribed to.

Therein, though, I think the true strength of peer review will come in. I can be a bit sensitive when it comes to critiquing my own work, or having it examined, but you guys represent the best and most level-headed cross section of players out there, and it's for your enjoyment and mine that I'm building this. If only I like it, I'm only half way there. ;)

Anyway, I'll post the link when I'm more comfortable putting it up there. :)

I know what it is to throw yourself out there and squeeze your eyes shut, waiting for the inevitable kaboom. The group here, and a group I count myself among, are probably the single most intelligent group of players I've encountered, and certainly the best on any board community out there. Ever. I've seen some pretty ugly boards (try going to IGN sometime and reading through their board discussions; yeesh) but these guys are top notch.

And, you know, there's this new guy who tries to be helpful as well. ;)