I can see you. Through the wall. Down the street.

Rechan

I'm creating an NPC, a bodyguard/enforcer/assassin that my PCs will eventually encounter. One of his tricks is that he's got some cybernetics and bionics implanted in him; one of the most telling is that his right arm had been replaced by a very durable, strong arm, but the the forearm itself is bio-cybernetic muscle layed over a sniper rifle barrel.

One of the things I'd like to do with him (but I'm having trouble with) is constructing for him some sharpshooter eyes. N-Ray vision, and Telescopic vision. But I'm having trouble deciding what substance to have him Not see through.

I imagine this could come from the explination of how the eyes work, but I havn't... exactly figured that out, yet. Yes, they are cybernetic, but very, very small cyberoptics; essentially almost nanotechnology they were so small, simply implanted into damaged eyes as opposed to just removing the eye and replacing it with a cybernetic one.

The thing that I'm trying to achieve here is someone who can see through walls, and use that gun in his arm to fire Armor Piercing rounds. Said armor piercing rounds go through the wall, and hit the target (Yes, I'm shamelessly ripping off the X-Files)..

So, what substance could I use for not seeing through? Could some toss me out some explinations, and some good substances to avoid?

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

I like Insaniac99's suggestion though. Expensive, but it should be.

thanks, and it isn't ALL that expensive because you can also slap on restrainable to the powers with the FX defined that a intense EMF and an EMP would stop the Nano bots from working and N-ray vision isn't that expensive in the first place...

Originally posted by Insaniac99

it isn't ALL that expensive because you can also slap on restrainable to the powers with the FX defined that a intense EMF and an EMP would stop the Nano bots from working and N-ray vision isn't that expensive in the first place...

Fair enough. I suppose I had my "PC" hat on. For a NPC, yes, it isn't that expensive, as you don't really need to round him out with other abilities. It will be much easier to keep him within his "schtick". Also, you can just give him a Villain Bonus!

Rely on super pseudoscience to define the cyber eyes. How do they work? The N-ray vision might be defined as:

- Noticing subatomic particles that pass through walls? Stopped by lead, or superdense substances with a DEF > 6.

- Thermal vision? Stopped by heavy insulation, or by intense heat and cold.

- Detecting electrical impulses, including those from nerves? Stopped by other electrical signals (i.e. can't see through crowds, household appliances, etc.).

Defining N-Ray

Neutrino vision. Neutrinos go through everything. Something like 100 billion passed through you while you read this.

:D

And an alternate construct (min-max) would be N-Ray, except force fields and N-Ray ONLY through force fields. LOL.

Cheers.

Re: Defining N-Ray

Originally posted by Rerednaw

Neutrino vision. Neutrinos go through everything. Something like 100 billion passed through you while you read this.

Problem is, they go through everything too well to be useful for vision. Photons (light) work for vision because they bounce off things, so we can see the things they bounce off. Neutrinos, going through virtually everything, wouldn't actually allow you to see anything. Things that photons could pass through unimpeded would be invisible to conventional (photon-based) vision; everything would be invisible to neutrino-based vision.

Then again, superhero comic books often fudge considerably on physics (to put it mildly). You could certainly concoct some hand-waving explanation on the eyes sensing what the neutrinos passed through by some sort of detectable resonance the neutrinos take on from what they pass through. Admittedly that doesn't really make much scientific sense... but it may sound plausible enough to work as comic-book physics. ;)