Paladins, take 2

teh bunneh

Re: Paladins, take 2

Interestingly in a friends D20 campaign, my character just died and my new one is going to be a Paladin of the State. Similar in outlook to the Operative in Serenity, or Jack Bristow in Alias. A fanatic for the government, rather than for a particular god.

In the dark days of dnd, I had a character like that. He was described as "Judge Dredd with a sword". I had a blast playing that guy, but the other players soon came to loathe him, even as they relied on his mighty sword-arm, because he would stop them indulging in regular player activity like breaking and entering, killing people and stealing their stuff, etc :D

Strangely enough, although he was not in any sense "good", he ended up being "gooder" than most of the so-called good characters.

Although there were glitches - like defending the evil priest from the other players, because, well, just being evil wasn't against the law and hanging some of the oppressed peasants the GM had intended us to save, because after all, rebelling against their rightful lord was against the law - and the penalty was death.

Thinking about, I should write that guy up for FH. he'd make a *great* NPC for my current game!

cheers,Mark

The Paladin's Code of Honor

Heroism & Courage: A Paladin rises up above the mass of people who are afraid to act. A Paladin's path is dangerous, but she lives life completely. Courage is not blind — it is intelligent and strong. A Paladin replaces fear with respect and caution.

Bill, add one more line here:

[shameless Steal] A Paladin shows that Courage is possible. [/shameless Steal]

(Thank you, Elizabeth Moon and Paksennarion.)