Hero System Computers

Killer Shrike

Im working w/ some complex computing concepts right now for my MetaCyber setting and have formed the opinion that the Computer rules in the HERO System need to be revised / extended a bit.

Here's the problem -- the existing rules provide sufficient coverage for making relatively simple task oriented comptuers that are able to interface w/ humans or vehicles in a limited fashion.

However, there is no coverage for how two or more Computers interface with each other. Further, the concept of Programs is sufficient to cover very simple task oriented software, but it is not capable of modeling complex multi-purpose feature rich applications / software with broad functionality.

I've worked thru a means of Computers establishing connectivity / communication / certification with each other and will be posting it in its entirety once Ive polished it and smoothed out some rough edges; hopefully in the next few days.

However in the meantime I wanted to open a dialogue regarding an idea for covering complex software / applications, services, and bot / agents.

In the HERO System, the rules for Computers create an essentially physical entity, and the "software" installed take the form of a Skill or other ability, and further if the Computer can use the ability automatically or on command without requiring a user to make a Computer Programming roll requires a 1 point "Program" which is limited to a single simple task. Some complicated uses of a Skill or other ability might actually require several such Programs.

However, in the real world complex software is multifunctional, and via event detection can be very capable of responding to diverse circumstances in a completely automated fashion. Further, software can be written on one Computer by a Computer Programmer, and then installed onto other Computers and once turned loose, such software can passively or actively pursue tasks and interact without the awareness or direction of its original creator / installer or the Computer that it was originally created from, and vice versa.

While the HERO System means of designing Computers is sufficient to meet the needs of a simple, task / role oriented Computer that can do something relatively limited such as control a gun emplacement, or the integrated devices of a vehicle or base it falls short of the task of making more capable computers and software that function in a fashion that mirrors reality.

In other words, essentially the Computer rules are only good for designing firmware, embedded systems, and other similar limited purpose devices and not fully functioning computers or software in the sense of computers and software actually used in the real world. However, the existing system is still a good starting point and the matter can be redressed very simply by adding another level of abstraction, as follows:

Complex software, called Applications herein, can be designed using the current rules for Computers but rather than representing physical devices as the rules currently do, instead they represent logical / virtual devices.

Computers are then designed using the same rules as they normally are, but in addition to the normal features that they might have they also have a Variable Power Pool for Applications defined as follows (the size of the Pool obviously varies):

Active Application Pool: Variable Power Pool (Applications); Installed Applications Only (-1/2)

A Computer can run any number of Applications concurrently up to the limit of its Application Pool. A Computer can have any number of Applications installed with a total Real Cost equal to its Application Pool x 5. Thus a Computer with 60 Pool could have up to 300 Real Cost worth of Applications installed, but could only run up to 60 Real Cost worth of them at any one time. Applications can be uninstalled to free up capacity.

The divide by 5 rule still applies for the Real Cost of Applications -- thus an Application with 60 total Points would require 12 points from the Application Pool to run.

The "Control Skill" used to switch Applications in and out of the Application Pool is a Power Skill called Launch App; for a computer to be able Launch Applications of their own they must have a Program and typically some means of Event Detection.

To add Applications to the Installed Application list requires Computer Programming. It is possible for a Computer with Connectivity and permissions to do so to install an Application from itself onto another Computer, but typically new Applications are installed by a person. An Application with the Computer Programming Skill and a Program called Installer can install itself once initiated (basically it has an install Wizard built in); similarly an Application with Computer Programming and a Program called Uninstaller can uninstall itself from a Computer on command.

There are some limitations on what Applications can be installed on a Computer.

An Application cannot use more DEX or SPD than the Computer it is installed on has.

An Application cannot use more INT than the Computer it is installed on has; thus an Application with a 20 INT installed on a Computer with a 10 INT runs as if it has a 10 INT and can only use 2 Programs simultaneously. An Application cannot be used at all on a Computer with an INT that is more than 10 less than it has; it is simply too advanced to run correctly on an obsolete / underpowered Computer; thus an Application with an INT of 25 cannot be run on a Computer with an INT of 10.

That's the crux of where Im going with this right now. Any thoughts from the other computer geeks out there? Dan Simon, lemming, bullseye, etc?

Re: Hero System Computers

As an aside, the "Event Detection" mentioned is accomplished via a combination of Detects and one or more corresponding Programs; most commonly a "Launch X Process when Y Event Detected" Program is the bare minimum.

Just about any kind of Event can be defined, and the underlying Detect can be simple or robust. For example:

Detect Failed Authentication 13- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Sense; Real Cost: 10

or:

Detect Failed Authentication 17- (Unusual Group), Concealed (-4 with Detect PER Rolls), Discriminatory, Analyze, Sense, Tracking, Transmit; Real Cost: 30

Both detect the same Event -- a failed attempt to Authenticate -- but the 1st one is far less sophisticated than the 2nd. Further, aside from their basic functionality, the 2nd one is interactable with by more complicated Programs than the 1st because it provides more features including the ability to Transmit information it has collected on the failed Authentication; it might transmit it to a specialized Countermeasure Computer or Application for instance

hrm.. one of my first thoughts was to create levels of Programs that already exist .. from 1-5 points increasing in complexity of what they are capable of. Higher level Programs would be able to react more intelligently, even to the point of activating and shutting down other programs as needed.

I'd need an example of what you're doing to completely grok it however. I don't quite get your explenation off hand at the moment.

hrm.. one of my first thoughts was to create levels of Programs that already exist .. from 1-5 points increasing in complexity of what they are capable of. Higher level Programs would be able to react more intelligently, even to the point of activating and shutting down other programs as needed.

I'd need an example of what you're doing to completely grok it however. I don't quite get your explenation off hand at the moment.

What dont you get specifically?

Let me put it another way -- its like a PHYSICAL COMPUTER designed in the normal fashion has several VIRTUAL COMPUTERS -- aka Applications -- that are able to run independently of each other as long as the Physical Computer they are installed on is running them.

How do you define an Application? is it a Power or like a Program now a series of commands that it runs?

Complex software, called Applications herein, can be designed using the current rules for Computers but rather than representing physical devices as the rules currently do, instead they represent logical / virtual devices.

They are designed like a Computer, with INT, DEX, SPD, and a collection of one or more Skills / Abilities and 0 or more Programs to run them. The difference is that they are not physical entities -- they represent complex multifunctional software run by a physical Computer.

Now that I've had a few hours to digest this I think it's a really good idea on how to simulate very powerful computers and intelligent programs without getting the cost through the roof.

I think it also gives computers more of a Computer Feel.

One thing I might add - the number of Applications stored is equal to the Poolx5 .. which is cool but links RAM (running applications) to HD Space (stored applications). I would come up with a series of Extra Storage Space pool points that don't add to the the ability to run more Applications.

Both internal and external, and even removable, media could easily be modeled this way I think. Though I'm currently unable to come up with a good Limitation value for that.

Even the most primitive computers that have storage capacity at all generally have far more HD capacity than RAM, so Pool x 5 doesnt seem unreasonable as a starting point -- if anything it is woefully inadequate to model the typical ratios of RAM to HD capacity of real Computers; for instance my laptop has 1.5 GB of RAM and 60 GB of HD and its not even an exceptional specimen. However in practical game terms, it seemed sufficient.

But, point taken, some means of expanding storage capacity independently of active memory should be available. I could add a Custom Talent that increases the capacity for installed Programs, which would handle it nicely; x2 Capacity (cumulative) for 5 points should do the trick.

As far as the idea of removable / modular capacity...Ill think on it a bit.

The only reason I even thought about it was based on the number of CP games I've been in that had a Run involving stealing software of some nature ... and figured as long as you're getting this detailed might consider going to full computer emulation in a game (HDs, Removeable Media, etc...)

it's a very cool system you've got worked out on computers that make nicely detailed items.

hrm.. one of my first thoughts was to create levels of Programs that already exist .. from 1-5 points increasing in complexity of what they are capable of. Higher level Programs would be able to react more intelligently' date=' even to the point of activating and shutting down other programs as needed.[/quote']

I have to admit, after reading Killer Shrikes's first post, something very similar to ghost-angel's idea is how it occured to me to do it. Specifically, what I was thinking of were the way Skill Levels are purchased:

1 point: +1 with a Background Skill

2 points: +1 with a single non-Background Skill

3 points: +1 with any 3 related Skills

5 points: +1 with all Skill of a given category

8 points: +1 with all non-combat Skill

10 points: +1 with all Skills

As it is now, Programs cost 1 point each and handle one fairly specific thing ("drive vehicle from point A to point B"). Yes, just being able to do that entails a great deal of specialized knowledge and sophisticated situation-response routines, but that's generally considered 'handled' by giving the computer the appropriate Transport Familiarity.

In any case, if I were to do something like KS wants, I'd probably try to expand the Program options to model something close to the levels of Skill Levels. Something like this, say:

1 point: a program to accomplish one specific thing ("drive from A to B")

2 points: a program to accomplish 2 or 3 related, non-combat things ("analyze chemical compound; synthesize chemical compound")

3 points: a program to accomplish 3 or 4 related things [may include combat-type functions] ("drive from A to B; recognize/analyze threat; fire weapons at designated target or threat") or ("personal assistant -- handling basic calls, scheduling, word processsing, etc.")

4 points: a program to accomplish all necessary functions for a broad type of task ("maintain base -- includes cleaning, cooking, ordering & receiving supplies and goods, pay electric bills, maintain grounds, screen visitors, display entertainment or information on demand...etc., etc.")

5 points: a program to accomplish a very broad type or category of task, usually including many subtypes or subskills ("carry on a normal social interaction with humans")

(Many of these would, of course, require access to appropriate data stores -- Knowledge Skills, Transport Familiarities, whatever.)

This would avoid trying to list every single thing the computer might be able to do -- which, in my opinion, would bog things down considerably -- and by taking reasonably broad categories, allows the GM to decide within easy guidelines if a computer is capable of a requested task or not.

Take as an example a situation in which the base has been invaded by an intruder, who's trying to reach a particular location (store room to grab a specific item, power room to cripple the generators, whatever) and a PC is in pursuit. The intruder is about to enter the room that is their destination and the PC will not be able to stop them in time. The PC calls out (to the base computer) "Close emergancy blast doors to generator room! Initiate lockdown protocol as if a fusion containment breach had occured!!" If the computer had the 4 point "maintain base" program, the GM could reasonably conclude this sort of command is something the computer would be able to carry out, and the doors thud shut and magnetically seal themselves just in front of the intruder, barring him from his destination.

In my view, not only is that a better dramatic feel, but keeps from bogging things down with the players trying to plan for all contingencies by coming up with an exhaustive list of "all possible programs to cover all possible situations" beforehand.

I see merit's in both sides ... I like KS's method as it'll give computers the feel and attention I think they need in a Cyberpunk setting.

For you're average modern game a simple set of Programs as Dr. A outlined would work just fine as Computers tend to fall into background noise more than the forefront.

Here is a sample Link Tracer Application:

This Application is a somewhat high-end autonomous tracer bot. When activated, it is given a target (typically another Application or worker process that seems suspicious to some other Security software), and one or more intended recipients of the data it can gather about the target and its origin.

First the Tracer seeks out the Target by following its Trace. If it can find it, it Examines (Interrogates) it to find out as much as it can about it, encrypts this information, and transmits it to its Recipient(s).

After finding the Target (or if it cannot find the Target after x number of attempts), it attempts to follow the Target's Trace backwards thru interlinking Computers until it finds it's ultimate origin point.

Once it finds the Target's origin point (typically a public or private NET terminal), it encrypts and transmits this data to its Recipient(s), and Terminates itself.

It also logs all of its activity to its host Computer, including all intermediary points it passes through, errors, and other such information in its pursuit of its Target.

In addition to this basic Tracer functionality, this Application is Runner friendly, having several stealth and anti-counter measure capabilities of its own.

It can detect when it is being Examined (Interrogated or Reflected) and attempt to lie about its purpose (Manifest Deception) -- typically claiming to be a harmless datapacket. Further, it can both Obscure its own Trace and detect when it is Traced, notify its recipients and then Terminate itself to prevent further disclosure.

Link Tracer Application

Val Char Cost

10 DEX 0

20 INT 10

2 SPD 0

Characteristics Cost: 10

Cost Power

6 +2 PER with all Sense Groups

15 Rumble Check: Detect Being Traced or Examined / Reflected 12- (Unusual Group), Concealed (-4 with Detect PER Rolls), Discriminatory, Sense (19 Active Points); Requires A Security Systems Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; vs Link Tracing (Tracking); -1/4)

22 Signature Lock: Detect Designated Target 12- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Range, Sense, Targeting, Telescopic: +6 (28 Active Points); Requires A Security Systems Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; vs Obfuscation, Spoofing, or Masking; -1/4)

26 Tracer: Detect Designated Targets Trace 16- (Unusual Group), Concealed (-3 with Detect PER Rolls), Discriminatory, Analyze, Range, Sense, Tracking, Transmit (33 Active Points); Requires An Examine (Interrogation) Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/4)

Powers Cost: 69

Cost Skill

10 Resource Prioritization: +1 Overall

3 Encryption / Decryption (Cryptography) 12-

3 Examine (Interrogation) 9-

3 Link Tracing (Tracking) 12-

7 Manifest Deception (Persuasion) 11-

3 Obfuscation (Stealth) 11-

3 Security Systems 12-

Skills Cost: 32

Cost Talent

1 Encrypt / Decrypt Datastream

1 If Target Not Found Run Detect Trace

1 Log Activation, Activity, Errors, Termination

1 Manage Resource Prioritization

1 Obfuscate Own Trace

1 Run Event Detectors

1 Run Examine On Other Applications

1 Seek Designated Target

1 Set Designated Target

1 Set Specified Receiver(s)

1 When Being Traced Transmit Encrypted Data To Recipient(s) and then Terminate

1 When Designated Target Found Transmit Encrypted Data to Specified Reciever(s) and begin Tracer

1 When Examined Employ Manifest Deception

1 When Trace Complete Transmit Encrypted Data to Specified Receiver(s)

Talents Cost: 14

Total Character Cost: 125

Base Points: 125

Here is a mid-range Countermeasure. It's a pretty simple Application; its only purpose is to seek out a designated Application and use Computer Programming on it to get it to self-Terminate -- aka Squelch it. It's not fancy at all, and is basically blind -- the only thing it is aware of is its target, which is assigned to it either by a user or another Application.

Its one nod towards sophistication is that it can be given one or more Recipients to notify when it finds its target and whether it succeeds / fails. This allows Application chaining to occur if a Hacker wants to have other Apps keyed to take action in the event of the Squelcher succeeding or failing.

For instance, a Monitor app might take action on success to watch for a new App being launched from the same source, or a more powerful / aggressive Countermeasure might be launched on failure, and a Diagnostic app might be launched in either event to determine what the targeted Application was up to in the first place.

Security Countermeasure (Squelch)

Val Char Cost

10 DEX 0

15 INT 5

2 SPD 0

Characteristics Cost: 5

Cost Power

40 Signature Lock: Detect Designated Target 19- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Range, Sense, Targeting, Telescopic: +6, Tracking

Powers Cost: 40

Cost Skill

15 Computer Programming (Applications) 30- (37 Active Points); Only To Terminate Application (-1 1/2)

Skills Cost: 18

Cost Talent

1 Seek Designated Target

1 Set Designated Target

1 After Squelch Transmit Encrypted Notification (Success/Failure) To Recipient(s) and then Terminate

1 When Designated Target Found Transmit Encrypted Data to Specified Recipient(s) And Begin Squelch

Talents Cost: 7

Total Character Cost: 70

Base Points: 70

Here is a particularly nasty Countermeasure / Virus (depending on how its deployed). It spoofs as some other innocuous piece of software to infect a Computer. Once it is in place it communicates with a Monitor (either another Application or a specifc Computer) which it is pre-set to recognized and interface with.

Once this has occured the Worm can do quite a number of annoying / serious things based upon whatever it is directed to do by its Monitor. It can even go so far as to highjack the infectd Computer completely, locking out physical users, and launching Applications / tasking the Computer as directed.

Its particularly good at reading the data, installed Applications, security, and user activity of the infected Computer and transmitting this to its Monitor and other Recipients if desired.

A particularly perceptive User or Virus Scanner can suss out the Worm (defeat its Spoofing, detect unusual packet transmission, etc), but otherwise its pretty heinously difficult to detect. However unless it is being actively controlled to counter hack attempts to get rid of it or else the Security of the infected system has already been hacked, its fairly easy for someone with appropriate Computer Programming specialties to get rid of it.

Some other Worms have active Event Detection and self protection routines vs attempts to get rid of them.

Security Countermeasure (Worm)

Val Char Cost

10 DEX 0

15 INT 5

2 SPD 0

Cost Power

39 SpyWare: Detect Data and Applications On Infected Computer 17- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Range, Sense, Targeting, Tracking, Transmit

21 Resource Misallocation: Negative Skill Levels (-8 with Infected Computers Launch App), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (48 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Hour; -1 1/4)

Powers Cost: 60

Cost Skill

11 Computer Programming (Applications) 17-

3 Launch App (INT-based) 12-

11 Security Systems 16-

11 Spoofing (Disguise) 16-

Skills Cost: 39

Cost Talent

1 Communicate via Encrypted Datastream with Monitor

1 Disclose Port Availability To Monitor

1 Execute Commands As Directed By Monitor

1 Install Self On Designated Computer

1 Misallocate Resources Of Infected Computer

1 Recognize Monitor (Key Coded)

1 Set Designated Computer

1 Set Monitor

1 Spoof As Other Application

1 Use Computer Programming To Control Infected Computer

1 Use Launch App To Activate Other Applications

1 Use Launch App To Shutdown Other Applications

1 Use Security Systems To Hijack Infected Computers Security

Talents Cost: 16

Total Character Cost: 120

Base Points: 120

Here is a basic Countermeasure application, a Shunt. Basically, when a Computer is pinged by another Computer or Application that doesnt seem legit, it can activate a Shunt to delegate communication with the untrusted caller.

The Shunt is painfully simple; all it does is present the seeming of the actual Host Computer to the calling app -- it seems to offer the interface / available services of the Host Computer as a whole (or if the person setting it up prefers, more or less or even a different interface altogether), and the general signature / address of the Host Computer.

Once activated it simply accepts commands and communicates with the caller, pretending to be the Host. It has a selection of pre-arranged responses to common requests scripted into it, and uses these to be, in human terms, politely unhelpful. Essentially it is one long delaying tactic, giving the calling app the run around. Meanwhile it logs every millisecond of the caller's activity to the Host Computer.

This particular one is pretty stripped down and essentially is role-specific. More advanced versions include variations of Monitor style functions, as well as more "intelligence" to broadcast and task other Applications to do other things while the caller is distracted.

The aggravating thing about Shunts for Hackers is that they are subtle. They give every appearance of being the real thing, and an unwary Hacker or worse an automated App bot / agent can sit there plinking away for a long time, thinking they are connected and accessing the Host Computer for real, while other Countermeasures are being taken and a SecForce Fast Reaction Team suits up to go find them for a little punitive action.

Further, even if the Hacker does manage to detect and crack the Shunt, a) they wasted some amount of time while being observed, and B) the Host Computer is almost certainly completely alerted into a very high state of security response. And of course, the Shunt itself has nothing of value; it has no real content, provides no legitimate service, and conspicuously not connected or in communication with any other Computer or Application other than its Host (and that only via scripted Logging). So basically, it doesnt offer an "in" to a Hacker.

Security Countermeasure (Shunt)

Val Char Cost

10 DEX 0

15 INT 5

2 SPD 0

Cost Skill

27 Spoofing (Disguise) 24-

5 Authentication (Security Systems) 13-

Skills Cost: 32

Cost Talent

3 Interface Scripts (Eidetic Memory) (5 Active Points); Requires A Disguise Skill Roll (-1/2)

1 Set Designated Caller

1 Spoof Authentication

1 Spoof Host Computer vs Designated Caller

1 Spoof Interface

Talents Cost: 8

Total Character Cost: 45

This is a pretty standard form of "black" or "killer" countermeasure. It is given the address of a NET terminal, finds it via various directory services, and does two things -- first it overloads the power feed going to the terminals physical receptor, and simultaneously activates an EMP Pack installed in almost all NET terminals as a security feature.

Now, really really good Hackers can physically dismantle a terminal and remove / disable the EMP Pack and manage to not set off any alarms (a trick unto itself).

Further, an over the top Hacker who was also an ace electrician (or had one handy) could also get into the physical guts of the terminal and switch it from the electical feed it is hardwired to onto some kind of non-computer controlled battery or generator to prevent the overloading.

Neither are easy, and its often impractical to just drive up and dismantle a terminal right out in the open, but it has been done.

Most Hackers prefer to go the software route and put some kind of Counter-Countermeasure on the task of detecting and dealing with Burners before they can take control of the terminal and fry it, or at the very least give them a little warning so they can jack out.

Anyway, the net effect of the Burner if it isnt stopped is to activate an EMP that fries the terminal and anything in its immediate vicinity (jacked in to it), thus taking the terminal out of commision until it can be repaired / replaced, and puts a nice electrical jolt into anything plugged into it. If the Hacker happens to be brainjacked...well it usually aint pretty.

Security Countermeasure (Burn)

Val Char Cost

10 DEX 0

10 INT 0

2 SPD 0

Characteristics Cost: 0

Cost Power

18 Burn: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Indirect (Any origin, always fired from Dataport Of Terminal; +1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires Terminal To Have Electricity (-1/4)

34 EMP Pack: EMP (+2) for up to 60 Active Points of Burn (120 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Requires Terminal To Have EMP Pack Installed (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 52

Cost Skill

3 Encryption / Decryption (Cryptography) 11-

13 Manifest Deception (Persuasion) 14-

Skills Cost: 16

Cost Perk

5 Access to Terminal Directory Services (Hidden (-2 to Skill Rolls))

Perks Cost: 5

Cost Talent

1 Lookup Designated Terminal Address In Terminal Directory Services

1 Set Designated Terminal

1 After Burn Transmit Encrypted Notification (Success/Failure) To Recipient(s) and then Terminate

1 When Designated Terminal Located Transmit Encrypted Data to Specified Recipient(s) And Begin Burn

Talents Cost: 7

Total Character Cost: 80

I am building up to one. I have been putting together a lot of notes myself, but have a big exam this weekend to prepare for. Once that's over I will feel more comfortable in issuing a thoughtful response.

I have read through this and I like the direction you are going. Do you have an overall vision statement for the role you want computers to play in MetaCyber?

I don't completely understand the game mechanics of all this, nor how an example of a 'hacking' mission or hacker vs hacker 'meeting' would be, but this seems extremely cool. Could you define or explain the way you see these Applications interacting with each other?

If that seems a waste of time for the neophyte (moi, of course) I would understand.

I am building up to one. I have been putting together a lot of notes myself, but have a big exam this weekend to prepare for. Once that's over I will feel more comfortable in issuing a thoughtful response.

I have read through this and I like the direction you are going. Do you have an overall vision statement for the role you want computers to play in MetaCyber?

Hmm...well, I see them filling basically the same role they serve in the real world, but moreso if that makes sense.