New Advantage: Rate of Fire

Gary

Re: New Advantage: Rate of Fire

See my write up of this mechanic in this thread for the current version he is referring to.

Also, keep in mind that using two separate powers as you described would suffer the Multiple Power Attack penalties while this mechanic does not.

What MPA penalties? There are penalties for Sweep and Rapid Attack, but not MPA.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What MPA penalties? There are penalties for Sweep and Rapid Attack' date=' but not MPA.[/quote']

Perhaps "Penalty" was the wrong term. Restrictions is probably a better term. Multiple Power Attacks have certain restrictions as to what powers you may use in a Multiple Power Attack. At least that is what I recall, perhaps I'm wrong. Anyway, this mechanic does not have those restrictions so it does grant a bit more flexibility.

Corrected my original post. Thanks.

- Christopher Mullins

We may be talking at cross purposes: let me clarify -

Are you saying that a 45 point pool with the ROF/3 advantage and 2 slots (9d6 EB and 3d6 RKA), you should be able to switch slots with each successful additional attack?

Yes, absolutely!

I agree that the effect may be similar to a 90 point pool with no advantages for a 2 slot MP, but for a 4 slot MP, potentially you can switch attacks once you've seen how effective the first one is: MPAing a larger pool does not allow that.

I see that as a potentially substantial advantage, which simply buying a larger MP pool does not give you.

90 points could also buy you a 18d6 EB which is substantially more damaging than the ROF3 9d6 EB. Or it could purchase 12d6 AF5 or 14D6 AF3 which is substantially better in general. ROF is not as good as an Autofire attack in general, so it needs to compensate in other areas.

I return however to my main objection that this is an interesting mechanic that will be difficult to apply in game - there are very few situations where you have no idea how many attacks you will launch until afterwards.

It's not meant to be a replacement for Autofire. And it should be limited in scope. It's meant to simulate kewl ideas such as Beholders and Prismatic Sprays which are very hard to recreate in Hero at a reasonable cost and still be balanced.