Power Build: Position Swap

CrosshairCollie

Here's what I'm trying to create (it'll probably be two powers, in retrospect).

The basic power is the teleporting position switch; pretty obvious to build, Teleport, Usable as Attack, Limited Range (equal to teleport distance), Side Effects (switch positions).

Now, here's the tricky part: I want to be able to use this power after someone has attacked with a ranged attack, but before it lands, so we switch places and he blasts himself. My first thought was Missile Reflection with a Side Effect of switching positions, but I'm not sure that's really right ...

Thoughts?

Re: Power Build: Position Swap

Now' date=' here's the tricky part: I want to be able to use this power after someone has attacked with a ranged attack, but before it lands, so we switch places and he blasts himself. My first thought was Missile Reflection with a Side Effect of switching positions, but I'm not sure that's really right ...[/quote']

The easiest build is:

Villain attacks at range.

Hero uses Switcheroo to swap positions with Villain.

Villain zaps himself.

Hero uses Switcheroo to swap positions so Villain is at starting point.

In that case, just use Missle Deflection and the SFX is Switcheroo.

Otherwise you are looking at a rather complex compound power:

- Missle De/Reflection (to redirect the attack back to the attacker)

- Teleport UAO to move Villain to your position

- Teleport to move you to Villain's position

The second Teleport may be able to be rolled into a UAO with 2 targets, but its definately still a lot of work and points for the utility. I would be tempted to just use the first construct and call it a day.

Re: Power Build: Position Swap

This is one of those powers that might be doable by the rules, but might not work very well from the point of view of the characters' reality for a lot of ranged attacks.

I could see it for a thrown weapon or maybe an arrow from far away, but anything as fast as a bullet- including most EBs... Well, I just don't think the guy with the power could use it fast enough. The switch has to happen during the time the energy or projectile is in transit between the enemy's gun/fingers/eyes/whatever and your position. Maybe you can find a rationale for some kind of superfast electronic or magical Trigger (though it'd have to use FTL detection to work against lightspeed EBs), I dunno.. I'm just saying if I was GM, I would either limit this to certain kinds of attack, or look really hard at the justification/SFX.