Polls schmolls - Give me Stronghold!

Boll Weevil

I have seen the polls and read the discussions surrounding the big upcoming release(s). I didn’t put in my two cents because my number one request is not a genre or ultimate book. The book I am waiting for with giddy antici……..wait for it….pation is Stronghold. When it is released, I plan to buy it on the first day. Later, I will buy the PDF. In short, I want my Stronghold.

In 20 sumpn sumpn years of playing Champions, Stronghold was the most influential and constant part of our adventures. Our super team, the Abnormals, eventually became the main security team at a Stronghold facility. At first, game night meant quelling riots, foiling escapes and holding off all-out assaults from the outside. Eventually, as the campaign (and we) matured, the players wanted more role-playing opportunities. The Stronghold prison environment offered that too. The characters got to know the villains through daily contact. As a GM, it was cool because I got to really play, then Classic Enemies, baddies with all the personality and no (or limited) firepower. I tried as best I could to imagine what power structures might arise between inmates. Only in Stronghold could Panda ally with Wyvern.

The Midwest Stronghold was much like the Abnormals themselves. Definitely second string. Most of the Strongholds were new, modern, state-of-the-art facilities built exclusively for its intended purpose. Ours was a converted prison, retrofitted and aged. The location of our Stronghold was chosen for its location. Captured supervillains with exotic or poorly understood powers were brought there until a cell could be configured at a better facility. Suffice it to say, we had a much higher escape record than most. The attitude of the Costa Mesa security team who came to pick up the baddies was fun to role-play. “Don’t worry; we will take him to a real prison. He won’t escape Costa Mesa so easilyâ€. It was also fun to play the city’s resident superteam (to which each of the Abnormals applied) when they brought in the bad guys. Much like a real cop talks to a mall security guard.

How have you used Stronghold in your games?

Re: Polls schmolls - Give me Stronghold!

I would probably change out my current super-prison if Stronghold came out. And that's saying something considering that no other supplement I've bought so far has caused me to make changes to my actual campaign world.