Weird Entangle Situation

coach

Had a situation come up the other day in the game regarding entangle. The druid had an area affect, continuous, personal immunity 1d6/2def entangle. The idea was that he summoned plants up around him that kept on grabbing whatever was nearby. Now, my understanding of continuous attacks is thus: the attack goes off on every one of the attackers phases and on any segment that a new target moves into the area. The area was 6" radius. So, the bugbear, who has a 35 STR, moves into the area and wants to get to the druid, who is at the center. She hits the outside hex and is immediately entangled. I give her a freebie casual STR roll to break out and she fails that. She then makes a full STR roll and easily breaks out with the more-than-double BOD that allows her to have a full phase left. She then has 5 more hexes of entangle to move through. Does the entangle re-grab her in every hex? Can she make a full STR roll in each one and keep moving as long as she doubles the BOD of the entangle? Can she make a casual STR roll in each hex and keep moving as long as she exceeds the entangle? How would you work that?

Thanks

Re: Weird Entangle Situation

Originally posted by coach

Had a situation come up the other day in the game regarding entangle. The druid had an area affect, continuous, personal immunity 1d6/2def entangle. The idea was that he summoned plants up around him that kept on grabbing whatever was nearby. Now, my understanding of continuous attacks is thus: the attack goes off on every one of the attackers phases and on any segment that a new target moves into the area. The area was 6" radius. So, the bugbear, who has a 35 STR, moves into the area and wants to get to the druid, who is at the center. She hits the outside hex and is immediately entangled. I give her a freebie casual STR roll to break out and she fails that. She then makes a full STR roll and easily breaks out with the more-than-double BOD that allows her to have a full phase left. She then has 5 more hexes of entangle to move through. Does the entangle re-grab her in every hex? Can she make a full STR roll in each one and keep moving as long as she doubles the BOD of the entangle? Can she make a casual STR roll in each hex and keep moving as long as she exceeds the entangle? How would you work that?

Thanks

I would think (And I'm no expert) that the entangle would attack once per each of the Druid's phases, not once per hex the person moves through. So if a guy could traverse 5 hexes, he need only break the entangle once and move his five hexes.

Again I'm no expert. And right now I'm trying to remember if once one person broke the entangle if that breaks it for everyone... but I don't think it does.

Also, I think a good way to simulate the effect might have been "Sticky". Thus anyone coming into the area after it was cast would wind up with the entangle trying to grab them as well, regardless of when the Druid put up the entangle.

I would rule that the Entangle gets one "grab" per Phase, not one grab per hex. So if the character can make it through in one Phase it only has to deal with breaking out once. If it cannot, then it would need to make a new roll when its next action phase came up.

Just as a side note unless this continuous entagle also has the limitation "cannot be used to create barriers" it will create a barrier with +1 body per phase of the druid so what was a low 2 def 1 body entable will quickly becomes a 2 body X "number of phases the druid has taken" barrier. The monster in this case will have to break through 5 hexes of wall with 2 def and X number of body.