Anyone here find a use for Takofanes yet?

Superskrull

Re: Anyone here find a use for Takofanes yet?

To be honest' date=' if I had it to do over again I would give the "archlich" role in my campaign to Archimago, the villain from the 4E Champs sourcebook [i']Creatures of the Night[/i]. I find him to be a far more interesting character than the version of Takofanes from Conquerors, Killers And Crooks - better rounded, more subtle, and with a more interesting background and history. I would probably just graft most of Tak's character sheet onto Archimago.

Yeah, he was a nasty one. Sucker was one of the few mystics with a 100+ pt VPP, his being 101 pts. The staff alone was a wonderful plot device. Frankly, he's even nastier now with access to Megascale and Multiple Power Attacks.

Hmm... what are the goals and modus operandi of DEMON under Takofanes? Are you using any of the Fifth Edition material from DEMON: Servants Of Darkness? If so' date=' how have you adjusted it to conform to Takofanes' rule?[/quote']

Not using any of the Fifth Edition stuff for it. BAsically, I set up Takofanes as a sort of shadow lord over DEMON. Only the inner circle even know he's the one really in charge. Takofanes helps DEMON to achieve their various goals and even feeds them a cool spell now and then. He's basically using DEMON to cause as much trouble as possible. After all, Takofanes doesn't much care how civilization gets destroyed, just that the job gets done. Once he thinks the time is ripe, he's going to feed the leaders of DEMON a "Summon Demon Lord" spell that looks really good...but isn't. Instead the demons get loose and create Hell on Earth...until Takofanes invokes their true names to send them all back and move into the power vacuum.

I've used him once, sort of ... but kept him in the shadows and the background, employing demonic minions and various other stooges to do his dirty work, rather than have him coming out wands blazing. It wound up being one of those cases where I scared the yellow snow out of my players without having to say anything. The exchange went something like ...

"Why would Takofanes resort to using mooks when he blasted the living **** out of a dozen or more supers when he first popped up?"

"Perhaps there's something he's not prepared to face."

"You mean he's AFRAID of something? When you're already dead, what is there to be afraid of?"

(silence and nervous staring)

More truthfully, I'd altered Tak's abilities to give him a fairly decently sized END reserve, but it only recharged in 'certain circumstances', basically as determined by plot (stealing magic from artifacts, ritual sacrifice, etc.), and he was running low on juice and couldn't wage a full-scale assault on his own (his mooks were, in fact, seeing to replenishing his mystic reserves). I decided he needed a more accessible weakness than his Vulnerability and Susceptibily to holy stuff (which the PCs at the time were *completely* incapable of exploiting).