Anyone here find a use for Takofanes yet?

Superskrull

I keep coming back to this guy. What can I do with him that would be a cool story? what's he want, really? Sure, it says he wants to rule the world and drag humanity wailing and screaming into the darkness of his debased soul. Yeah, he's got the trump card as far as the Crowns of Krim go. Sure, he's spilling over with necromantic mojo but has anyone got a plan for him aside from killing anyone what gets in the the way of him killing anyone, while he conquers the planet and vaporizes the competition?

C'mon, he's been outa the crypt since '87 and in print since '02. Anyone got any horror stories starring our favorite lich?

I do have a scheme in mind, but I want to hear what anyone else might have done.

Re: Anyone here find a use for Takofanes yet?

I keep coming back to this guy. What can I do with him that would be a cool story? what's he want, really? Sure, it says he wants to rule the world and drag humanity wailing and screaming into the darkness of his debased soul. Yeah, he's got the trump card as far as the Crowns of Krim go. Sure, he's spilling over with necromantic mojo but has anyone got a plan for him aside from killing anyone what gets in the the way of him killing anyone, while he conquers the planet and vaporizes the competition?

C'mon, he's been outa the crypt since '87 and in print since '02. Anyone got any horror stories starring our favorite lich?

I do have a scheme in mind, but I want to hear what anyone else might have done.

I've done some of the outline for a story involving him. The heroes do some research on him and come to the conclusion that the answers to his defeat lie in his crypt. He obliterates everyone in a straight-up battle. Anyway, while he's on his current world-threatening rampage. The story revolves around finding his crypt and battling the creatures and defenses he has devised around it. Once there the heroes discover the ancient weapons that were used to defeat him originally. From there it becomes a matter of figuring out how they work and using them on him.

I don't think it makes sense for Tak' to just be 'out there' somewhere on the loose...he's too powerful and unstoppable. He should either be 'rampaging' or supposedly 'foiled' for the time being by being temporarily destroyed, sealed back within his crypt, sent to another dimension, what have you.

I don't think it makes sense for Tak' to just be 'out there' somewhere on the loose...he's too powerful and unstoppable. He should either be 'rampaging' or supposedly 'foiled' for the time being by being temporarily destroyed, sealed back within his crypt, sent to another dimension, what have you.

I agree. A simple rampage is only gonna net him a bodycount. I'd like to think he'd use that 30 Int & freakishly high mystic skill list to plan some vast ritual his occasional appearances tie into, preferably arranged so the PCs are in some way integral to it. just 'cause he's got that sledgehammer of a VPP doesn't mean he can't gently tap things into place via followers and locations.

The only time that I've used him in my campaign to date was to tie up all these seemingly random slaughters that he indulges in. As I set it up, these were actually ritual sacrifices building toward Takofanes' greatest spell ever.

The PC heroes were called in to stop Tak's latest rampage, but just as they arrived to confront him the world around them abruptly changed. Their city, the people around them, in fact the whole world was transformed into their Turakian Age analogues. That included the PCs themselves: the team gadgeteer was reshaped as a dwarf, while the mentalist found himself in the body of a Migdalar. However, they were the only ones who remembered the world the way it was, because they were close to Takofanes when the change occured.

Moreover, Takofanes had become the ruler of this reborn world, as he had been during his first life. The heroes had to confront Tak at the center of his power, his recreated northern citadel.

I've also considered running an alternate future scenario that I came up with as a result of a discussion board topic: an alliance between Takofanes and Mechanon to sweep the world clean of life. After all, Takofanes doesn't care whether the beings who serve him are alive or dead, and he might not be sufficiently "organic" for Mechanon to want to kill him immediately. Of course once the world was dead they'd be at each other's throats. The Earth isn't big enough to contain those two egos. :rolleyes:

The heroes would find themselves in the future, after the two villains succeeded in their schemes. The planet would be virtually lifeless, divided between a barren desert populated by animated corpses, and a vast complex of sterile machines. The borders would seethe with ceaseless war between robots and supernatural horrors. After returning to their time the PCs would have to thwart the villains' plan.

I've done some of the outline for a story involving him. The heroes do some research on him and come to the conclusion that the answers to his defeat lie in his crypt. He obliterates everyone in a straight-up battle. Anyway' date=' while he's on his current world-threatening rampage. The story revolves around finding his crypt and battling the creatures and defenses he has devised around it. Once there the heroes discover the ancient weapons that were used to defeat him originally. From there it becomes a matter of figuring out how they work and using them on him.[/quote']

You going to call the adventure "Tomb of Horrors"?

:D

As a Paperweight

But seriously folks. Takofanes is in the background of a couple of holy characters. In a rampage towards New York he is suddenly confronted by the Cardinel who blast him down with holy power. This shows that the Catholic church itself has some resources that no-one knew of.

The second character is first destroyed by Takofanes during the start of a rampage but then comes back and impales the Lich a while later during a pitched battle with other heroes. This is the Battle Angel.

I found him incredibly useful as the source an origin story for Dirge of the Choir :)

Beyond that, he works out great as an excuse for other mystics (heroes and villains) to bolster their power, make connections, and prepare for the next move by the lich. Just the presence of him has made certain actions by NPCs make perfect sense, and that in turn has lead the PCs on some good adventures as they helped those NPCs out or opposed them.

Sure, he's a bogeyman in the closet that everyone is afraid to open... yet, but watching everyone scramble for holy water, mystic amulets, and bazookas waiting for that bogeyman to come out sure has been entertaining for my players and I :)

I had a lengthy adventure planned involving Takofanes, the Crowns of Krim, and time travel (so that I could use the Turakian Age incarnation of Takofanes as well) planned for a campaign I was running at my local game store. The store went out of business and my players all scattered to the five winds.

I had a lengthy adventure planned involving Takofanes' date=' the Crowns of Krim, and time travel (so that I could use the Turakian Age incarnation of Takofanes as well) planned for a campaign I was running at my local game store. The store went out of business and my players all scattered to the five winds.[/quote']

Clearly Dr Destroyer's doing.

Somone summoned Takofanes into my game world, but only had the body of a sixth year old available, so currently he is attending elementary school, while he plots his plans to take over the world. So while he is still the same monsterously powerful lich, he must, because of the nature of the magic that summoned him, must obey his parents, teachers and other authority figures. :eg:

I had an idea or two for Takofanes. One was a plot seed somebody wrote up involving the Devil's Advocates where they steal Turakian Age artifacts from the past. That scenario would result in Takofanes teaming up with himself in the past and the PC's having to team up with the Turakian Age heroes [ideally also PCs if I run a Fantasy game] to defeat them.

The other involves Takofanes invading the Kingdom of Man, resulting in Takofanes vs Bugs Bunny.

I found him incredibly useful as the source an origin story for Dirge of the Choir :)

Beyond that, he works out great as an excuse for other mystics (heroes and villains) to bolster their power, make connections, and prepare for the next move by the lich. Just the presence of him has made certain actions by NPCs make perfect sense, and that in turn has lead the PCs on some good adventures as they helped those NPCs out or opposed them.

Sure, he's a bogeyman in the closet that everyone is afraid to open... yet, but watching everyone scramble for holy water, mystic amulets, and bazookas waiting for that bogeyman to come out sure has been entertaining for my players and I :)

Say, Herm, did you ever use that suggestion that came up here on the boards for Tak resurrecting Professor Muerte to be his lieutenant? I remember you being rather struck by the notion. :sneaky:

Say' date=' Herm, did you ever use that suggestion that came up here on the boards for Tak resurrecting Professor Muerte to be his lieutenant? I remember you being rather struck by the notion. :sneaky:[/quote']

Alas, the campaign I was going to try that in folded. More is the pity. I still think it's a cool idea.

No' date=' I'd like the heroes to actually have a chance to [i']survive[/i] this adventure. :D

Time for a surprise: our GM a long time ago threw our hero team into the Tomb of Horrors. One of us almost got killed but survived. Hey, it might be the tomb of horrors for D & D heroes but throw superheroes into the equation and it's a whole new ballgame. We won.

Time for a surprise: our GM a long time ago threw our hero team into the Tomb of Horrors. One of us almost got killed but survived. Hey' date=' it might be the tomb of horrors for D & D heroes but throw superheroes into the equation and it's a whole new ballgame. We won.[/quote']

Well, crushing traps and spiked pits don't really mean much to folks who are invulnerable and/or can fly. :D

I haven't gotten around to running it' date=' but in the new Champs based world I'm working on Takofanes is actually running DEMON.[/quote']

Hmm... what are the goals and modus operandi of DEMON under Takofanes? Are you using any of the Fifth Edition material from DEMON: Servants Of Darkness? If so, how have you adjusted it to conform to Takofanes' rule?

All very interesting uses, well, except the doorstop/paperweight one. The 6 yr old lich is a wonderfully droll idea, like Takofanes as Stewie Griffin.

At least my ideas are running on parallel tracks with other people so far.

To be honest, if I had it to do over again I would give the "archlich" role in my campaign to Archimago, the villain from the 4E Champs sourcebook Creatures of the Night. I find him to be a far more interesting character than the version of Takofanes from Conquerors, Killers And Crooks - better rounded, more subtle, and with a more interesting background and history. I would probably just graft most of Tak's character sheet onto Archimago.