Two-Weapon Fighting

Vanguard

Re: Two-Weapon Fighting

Well I use double weapons to fight in class all the time in real life with 3 different weapons. Strangely it takes almost no time in some cases 1 - 4 days to get fully up to speed with the second weapon. Since most MA teach single weapons with both hands to begin with.

The second weapons REALLY increases defence too, as you can block or strike with it. Also the second weapon actually give you a plus to hit as it confuses the opponent as they have to watch both attacks. I use changing pattern attacks that turn the weapons in to a blur of speed. Much faster than a single weapon.

I FULLY understand why the limit and disadvantages on using two weapons. and agree with the rullings, for game play and balance. But does not actualy work like that for real life fighting.

BTW my real favorite weapon is the staff, very few games really give the staff it's due. It is nice to see that Champions give it a +1 OCV and full 4d6 damage. I would like to see a +1 DCV and possibly a double attack. I pick this weapon against every other I have faced with confidence that it is one of the best.

BTW my real favorite weapon is the staff, very few games really give the staff it's due. It is nice to see that Champions give it a +1 OCV and full 4d6 damage. I would like to see a +1 DCV and possibly a double attack. I pick this weapon against every other I have faced with confidence that it is one of the best.

I give Quarterstaffs a free +2 w/Sweep bonus in my games. :)

We've discussed Two Weapon Fighting many times in the past and I've decided on my own personal rulings, but I was thinking about it after reading several posts in this thread and decided that to make TWF more appealing for the 10pt cost, I thought I'd throw in the 5pt Rapid Attack HtH skill for free....but only while using Two Weapons of course. Sweeping with a single weapon would still be a full phase action.

Here's what I plan to give for Two Weapon Fighting skill for a cost of 10pts:

+2 OCV with Two Weapon Fighting (allows an attack with each weapon at no OCV penalty, also allows for two blocks at no OCV penalty)

+3 Penalty Skill Levels with Off-Hand attacks (only when wielding two weapons. Removes the OCV penalty for attacking with the Off hand)

Rapid Attack: Only when wielding two weapons (TWF is now a 1/2 Phase maneuver by default)

WF: Off-hand is free. When a TWF stylist doesn't use one of their weapons to attack, they get a +1 DCV bonus for using it defensively.

Now, If the character is wielding two weapons, but only using 1 to attack, they can choose to gain a +1 DCV bonus as long as the secondary weapon is idle. The moment they choose to attack with both weapons, the DCV bonus is gone.

Attacking with both weapons in the same phase is considered a Sweep action and follows all the rules that govern sweep. Of course, since TW fighters get Rapid Attack for free, the attack is only 1/2 Phase instead of a Full Phase attack.

Attacking with a single weapon multiple times is not considered using Two Weapon Fighting, even if the attacking character is wielding two weapons!. That means if the character attacks multiple times with the same weapon, while the secondary weapon is idle, the character gets none of the Two Weapon Fighting bonuses except for the +1 DCV bonus for having an idle secondary weapon. Such multiple attacks use all the normal Sweep rules, including -2 OCV penalty and requiring a Full Phase action, unless the character has actually purchased Rapid Attack as a skill.

A Two Weapon Fighter may make more than two attacks while using TWF. The attacks must be split evenly between both weapons. Its perfectly okay to end multple TWF attacks with an odd number. In either case, when using multiple TWF attacks, the normal sweep penalties are accrued as normal and the +1 DCV bonus for an idle secondary weapon is lost.

As with the normal Sweep rules, a Two Weapon Figher may attack a single opponent, or may fight multiple opponents.

A Two Weapon Fighter may Block twice with no penalty. However the character must alternate blocking with both the primary and secondary weapon and loses the +1 DCV bonus for having an idle secondary weapon. A character my choose to block multiple times with a single weapon and maintain the +1 DCV bonus, but they do not gain the +2 OCV with Two Weapon Fighting as a bonus to block.

Two Weapon Fighting is a Sweep Maneuver, and as such, a Two Weapon Fighter has his DCV dropped to 1/2 when using Two Weapon Fighting, as per the Sweep rules (what, did you think you would get all that without a price?)

We've discussed Two Weapon Fighting many times in the past and I've decided on my own personal rulings, but I was thinking about it after reading several posts in this thread and decided that to make TWF more appealing for the 10pt cost, I thought I'd throw in the 5pt Rapid Attack HtH skill for free....but only while using Two Weapons of course. Sweeping with a single weapon would still be a full phase action.

Here's what I plan to give for Two Weapon Fighting skill for a cost of 10pts:

+2 OCV with Two Weapon Fighting (allows an attack with each weapon at no OCV penalty, also allows for two blocks at no OCV penalty)

+3 Penalty Skill Levels with Off-Hand attacks (only when wielding two weapons. Removes the OCV penalty for attacking with the Off hand)

Rapid Attack: Only when wielding two weapons (TWF is now a 1/2 Phase maneuver by default)

WF: Off-hand is free. When a TWF stylist doesn't use one of their weapons to attack, they get a +1 DCV bonus for using it defensively.

Now, If the character is wielding two weapons, but only using 1 to attack, they can choose to gain a +1 DCV bonus as long as the secondary weapon is idle. The moment they choose to attack with both weapons, the DCV bonus is gone.

Attacking with both weapons in the same phase is considered a Sweep action and follows all the rules that govern sweep. Of course, since TW fighters get Rapid Attack for free, the attack is only 1/2 Phase instead of a Full Phase attack.

Attacking with a single weapon multiple times is not considered using Two Weapon Fighting, even if the attacking character is wielding two weapons!. That means if the character attacks multiple times with the same weapon, while the secondary weapon is idle, the character gets none of the Two Weapon Fighting bonuses except for the +1 DCV bonus for having an idle secondary weapon. Such multiple attacks use all the normal Sweep rules, including -2 OCV penalty and requiring a Full Phase action, unless the character has actually purchased Rapid Attack as a skill.

A Two Weapon Fighter may make more than two attacks while using TWF. The attacks must be split evenly between both weapons. Its perfectly okay to end multple TWF attacks with an odd number. In either case, when using multiple TWF attacks, the normal sweep penalties are accrued as normal and the +1 DCV bonus for an idle secondary weapon is lost.

As with the normal Sweep rules, a Two Weapon Figher may attack a single opponent, or may fight multiple opponents.

A Two Weapon Fighter may Block twice with no penalty. However the character must alternate blocking with both the primary and secondary weapon and loses the +1 DCV bonus for having an idle secondary weapon. A character my choose to block multiple times with a single weapon and maintain the +1 DCV bonus, but they do not gain the +2 OCV with Two Weapon Fighting as a bonus to block.

Two Weapon Fighting is a Sweep Maneuver, and as such, a Two Weapon Fighter has his DCV dropped to 1/2 when using Two Weapon Fighting, as per the Sweep rules (what, did you think you would get all that without a price?)

That's very close to the way I handle it, though I don't give Rapid HTH Attack, "for free." That's quite a bonus. I'll think about it. I would be interesting to actually stat the whole thing out as a Multipower and see what it comes to sometime.